I fancy a WRX

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2004, 02:49 PM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I fancy a WRX

Hi guys,

I am currently the owner of a Mini Cooper S, and have become increasingly put out by the poor reliabilty of the car and am looking to change.

I have always fancied a WRX but have been put off by the apparently high running costs as I do a high mileage. ( 40K per annum + ).

I have read the specs and spoke to dealers but I would really like advice from the people that drive them.

For everyday driving what MPG would I expect ? ( lots of long motorway trips )
What are the servicing costs?
How reliable is the car?
Are they comfortable on long trips?

I would look to buy new and have seen they are offering free servicing for 36K which sounds good, also the insurance quote was £552.50, which also sounds good

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 20 April 2004, 02:54 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

I think high milage depreciation might be you problem, as the standard 03 WRX are worth **** all already second hand - add 40k after a year you would go from £20k to £15k in a year easy.
Old 20 April 2004, 03:00 PM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Thanks, to be honest with the miles I am doing any car will cost a fortune in depreciation, its just a fact of life for me ( I use the car for business ) I am used to it !
Old 20 April 2004, 03:03 PM
bonkers
Scooby Regular

Much as I love my WRX, I really wouldn't recommend one for that kind of mileage, especially with the petrol prices in England.

Quoted mpg is 20/27 if I recall correctly and mine was smack in the middle of that when I first got it for roughly 50/50 mix of city and freeway miles. Very little turbo though, 'cos I was breaking her in.

The AWD shaves a couple of mpg off what you might otherwise get and if you have a lead foot the turbo will guzzle petrol too.

Honestly, if I were you I'd go for something simple and reliable like a Honda (and of course a WRX on the side for weekends!).

Bonkers.
Old 20 April 2004, 03:06 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Talking

If you can afford that sort of deprication - go for it, why worry about 5mpg less than a mini cooper if you can afford 5k a year loss ?
Old 20 April 2004, 03:13 PM
WR1
Scooby Regular

Go for the Scooby.

My first year of Scooby ownership involved 6 hours a day in my motor mainly travelling from home to the centre of London and back home again. During that time I covered around 40,000 miles but I enjoyed every single one. Even stuck in the London traffic for hours on end seemed more fun in the Scooby!!

Old 20 April 2004, 03:21 PM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Bonkers: you may be quoting American MPG figures, the UK gallon is a different quantity.

I get 30 - 33 mpg on motorway journeys in my WRX03.
How comfortable: Well, I wouldn't call it luxurious, but I've got out of the car after many long trips, and not had any aches or pains.
Old 20 April 2004, 03:28 PM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Smile

Just do it, it's only money!

John
Old 20 April 2004, 03:53 PM
Spirejock
Scooby Newbie

My 01 WRX does 30+ on a long run. I go from Derbyshire to Aberdeen quite a lot. Motorways are a numb bumb, but the twisties make the journey worthwhile
Old 20 April 2004, 03:53 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Talking

Depreciation on a Scoob is MUCH better than many cars, especially the likes of a Mondeo or Vectra. I bought my car for £18700 and was offered a trade on the car at 9 months old, 10,000 miles at £16000 so not at all bad.

MPG would be 30 if you took it easy on the Motorway and ride quality is much better than I thought it would be. Remember it is a bigger car than the MINI so will be generally a bit smoother and quieter.

Best of luck,

Brian.
Old 20 April 2004, 05:02 PM
jmk
Scooby Regular

I think they're great on the motorway (WRX 03 PPP) - reasonably comfortable and with a good ride, roomy and quick.

I would expect you'll get 25mpg at best when doing mway miles; often on a tank and doing almost only Mway miles I return 23-26 mpg. So 40k pa will cost you approx £6k in petrol, £1k + to service (guessing here) and perhaps £1k in tyres.

If you do get one, make sure you change the hi-fi and speakers as the standard items are useless. Also try and get one that's nearly new and save yourself the best part of £2-£3k.

If I were you I'd buy a nearly new BMW 330d Ci sport.
Old 20 April 2004, 06:25 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

What speakers do you use? I just got a late 03 WRX and agree they are crap?

I drive a 200 mile round trip twice a week, about 4 hours on the Mway. I usually get about 26mpg.

I almost purchased a Cooper S "Works" but went for the WRX in the end.
Old 20 April 2004, 06:42 PM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks for all the feedback, quite a varied view !!

I am really looking for a car that will give me the same buzz the Mini did, when you love a car that much you will put up with any 'weaknesses'

Bear in mind the Mini only does 29 mpg on a run and 26 - 27 around town.

In your opinion does the car have that 'X' factor that lifts it above all the other mundane cars out there, like my Mini did for me before it started messing about.

Thanks.
Old 20 April 2004, 06:55 PM
sti joy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

in one word get an sti with ppp, i also had a brand new cooper s on sep 1st last year had it four 6 weeks, went for a drive in a standard sti and was blown away by it, made my mind that we had to get one, got the chance to get a 9 month old one with 1030 miles on the clock, great price just had its first oil change couldnt ask for more got it in nov and been smiling ever since, if in doubt send us a pm and i will gladly talk you round to the idea
Old 01 May 2004, 10:43 AM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Well guys thanks for all your info.

Yesterday i collected a new Silver 4dr WRX. How is it ? In a word awesome !!!!

Really impressed with the build quality, comfort and performance.

BTW the MINI Cooper S they lent me while I was sorting another car was due to go back yesterday, but it won't start !!. So its going on a transporter ( saves me a job ) Makes me even more pleased to get away from MINI once and for all. !!
Old 01 May 2004, 11:06 AM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Essential upgrades for 03MY:

PPP - 265BHP + better sound
ICE - Speakers and Head Unit, possible amp and sub
WRX spring kit - Great for corners

I get between 25 and 28 on the motorway, mainly travelling 80-90. Around town and country lanes no more than 20, ever. The PPP did improve consumption by 2 MPG approx. More torque means you don't have to rev it as hard, if you're a vicar.

Have fun, the car is great for motorway work, only the light steering slightly spoils the driving experience.

Dan
Old 01 May 2004, 02:18 PM
scoobycar60
Scooby Regular

For big miles a scooby will cost you a fortune in fuel and depreciation
330d BMW is a good drive, dont dismiss the 320d that drives well too.
will save you loads overall

Buy a Scooby from the heart not the wallet!
Old 01 May 2004, 02:27 PM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

but how much is the 330d in the first place? Even a used 2 year old + will cost you more than a new WRX.
Old 01 May 2004, 03:32 PM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by mrklaw
but how much is the 330d in the first place? Even a used 2 year old + will cost you more than a new WRX.
Yep a 330d ci is £30K new ( without leather, auto, metallic etc ) and even a used 2 -3 year old saloon is £22K. Any way don't believe the 330d is that economical, if you drive around like a tart you will see 40 mpg but if you push it hard expect 30-32.

I used to have a 320td Compact ( 150bhp model ) that would give 45 mpg, but it is very unrefined and you can always tell its a diesel. The VW engine was far better in that respect.

I worked out even at my mileage it would take about 10 years to get back the difference in running costs between the WRX and the 330d. And the beemer will never be AWD !
Old 01 May 2004, 03:53 PM
bonkers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jiggerypokery
Bonkers: you may be quoting American MPG figures, the UK gallon is a different quantity.
Yeah I'm quoting US.. I had no idea they were different, go figure!

Bonkers.
Old 01 May 2004, 03:57 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

I do an average 45k in my scoob, it's not the cheapest way to travel but I get to enjoy my car lots. Sure, big miles will depreciate the car but if you really like it you'll get it up to high miles and not feel the need to change it for quite a few years, it'll still be worth a few grand with starship miles!

That's how I sold it to myself! I get an allowance not to have a company car and it's not anywhere near the money I need to run my scoob it helps soften the blow.

Hope you have lots of fun in your new car!

:-)

Mike
Old 01 May 2004, 04:15 PM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Only one fault with the car so far, that stereo is dire, never heard sound quality so bad !!

Is it the speakers or head unit or both ??

Presumably they must do a new facia plate or something for fitting a new head unit.

Any advice !
Old 01 May 2004, 05:52 PM
Squadron-Leader
Scooby Regular

Picked up my new MY04 WRX Wagon 4 weeks ago (traded in my MY99 Wagon)

The two cars are like chalk and cheese. MY99 was raw and had a great stance on the road... even better once I'd uprated the rear ARB and drop links

The MY04 is much more solid, smooth but to high and wobbly... deffo thinking about a spring kit.

On the fuel front the MY99 was never the cheapest to run if you booted it, but I've just managed to squeeze 150 miles from £20 of Optimax on the MY04. This is with a little Turbo action, but still not booting it as it's only done 750miles. I never bother about MPG, I just want to know how far I can go on £20!

The thought never crossed my mind about buying any other make of car but Subaru since owing my MY99.

If you're lucky enough (or work damn hard like me) and can run one these cars.... do it.

Good luck.

J.

Ps. The standard stereo looks OKish, but the bass, treble and speakers are awful. Put some money aside for an upgrade.

Last edited by Squadron-Leader; 01 May 2004 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01 May 2004, 09:06 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Quote: "If I were you I'd buy a nearly new BMW 330d Ci sport."

Shut up!
Old 01 May 2004, 11:13 PM
Roblad
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I know the feeling..

I had a MINI Cooper for nearly three years but traded it in for a MY00 Turbo.

I have never looked back since. The MINI was a weekend toy and I had a Subaru Turbo as company car and did 160K Miles. No reliability probs at all.

When the company Subaru went back to be repaced with a Diesel Golf - I knew the MINI had to go - and another Scoob for me.

Enjoy your new found reliability!!
Old 02 May 2004, 11:40 AM
WRX Jase
Scooby Regular

I've now done 25K in my WRX03 PPP Wagon. Many motorway miles and no aches and pains to show for it. Servicing hurts a bit I suppose (I see the 30K approaching) and the ride is fine - even on the 18" rims I have on there.

As for MPG 29.3 average for the year on optmiax - I claim this back from my employer so this is quite accurate. I don't see a downside to the car. Name another car you can run on a reasonable - not low - budget and that can transport the family in comfort and put a smile on your face in the twisties like a scoob. To me that's VFM.

But do upgrade the stereo and the PPP is luverly.
Old 02 May 2004, 12:22 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by pflowers
Only one fault with the car so far, that stereo is dire, never heard sound quality so bad !!

Is it the speakers or head unit or both ??

Presumably they must do a new facia plate or something for fitting a new head unit.

Any advice !
The headunit is the weakest link followed closely by the speakers.
Subaru sell a single din cubby hole thing, so you can fit a single din sized stereo and have a nice cubby hole below it for sunglasses or whatever.

have a look/search the ICE section. Real easy to fit.
I fitted a Pioneer DEH-P77MP, fits and looks real nice.

Dipster