Advise PLEASE!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2004, 03:36 PM
mannin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advise PLEASE!!!!!!!

OK, here’s my dilemma:
I have never owned a Subaru before, but recently bought my GF a 00 UK turbo, and love it to bits, to the extent that she is now driving my BMW almost on a daily basis while I ‘borrow’ her Scooby.
I thought that I should get rid of the BM and get myself a Scooby, started to have a look on the Subaru website spot the WR1 read the press releases and think ‘that’s the car for me.’
I have ordered a WR1, but then prodriva mentioned an article in a magazine (EVO) I wander down to the local newsagent and procure a copy of the mag.
I read the article with some interest, and slowly become downhearted, according to this article the WR1 is not all I hoped it might be.
I’m in the somewhat fortunate situation of being able to buy any of the cars in the article (Type 25, Spec C, P1 and WR1) but now don’t know what to buy.
I like the idea of the WR1 because it should hold it’s value so I hope to shift in on in a couple of years and not lose a barrel load of money. But then I talk to a chap who can get me a European WR1 (Petter Solberg Edition) for £23,500 and I think if I can get one for that kind of money now, what about in a couple of years.
So now I’m thinking why not just buy a WRX STI PPP and save a barrel load of cash now.

I reckon if any group can point me in the right direction it’s be the people who use this forum.

Help????
Old 17 April 2004, 03:45 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

Sod the cash get the Typre 25 and lend it to me.
Old 17 April 2004, 04:00 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mannin
I have ordered a WR1, but then prodriva mentioned an article in a magazine (EVO)
Oh ****, I can imagine what's coming next...

I read the article with some interest, and slowly become downhearted, according to this article the WR1 is not all I hoped it might be.
Before we go any further, one has to ask why you allowing your opinions to be dictated by a magazine article?
Also, before we can assess just what car might fit your needs, we have to know what, exactly, you were looking for. What, exactly did you hope the WR1 would be?

What it was designed to be, and what it no doubt is, is the most accomplished Impreza available new via the UK dealer chain, so if that's what you want the car will no doubt satisfy your hopes. What it is not, and what it was never intended to be, was the "best Impreza ever" (whatever the hell that means).

I like the idea of the WR1 because it should hold it’s value so I hope to shift in on in a couple of years and not lose a barrel load of money.
Future market trends are impossible to predict, so if that was your only reason for buying a WR1, it may be a flawed decision. It's certainly likely to hold its value better than a regular STi Type UK, or indeed most imports though.

But then I talk to a chap who can get me a European WR1 (Petter Solberg Edition) for £23,500
That is not a WR1. It may be the same base donor car, but it doesn't have the WR1's tweaks fitted as standard, and will not benefit from the same residuals.
The only way to bring it up to the same sort of power output as a WR1 is by invalidating any pan-European warranty it comes with, which will, again, reduce the car's resale value should you shift it on within three years. You would also find it more expensive to insure than a WR1, especially if you started modifying it to bring it to the same general spec (power, wheels, springs etc.).

So now I’m thinking why not just buy a WRX STI PPP and save a barrel load of cash now.
Principally because the STi Type UK with PPP won't be quite as rewarding a car to drive quickly as a WR1, and also doesn't have the same level of exclusivity that the limited edition tag provides. That's not to say you wouldn't be very happy with one, but if you think you can get the same driving experience from a regular STi as you would from a WR1, you are mistaken.

I reckon if any group can point me in the right direction it’s be the people who use this forum.
Sorry to be blunt, but we're not here to teach you how to wipe your bum. We can't "point you in the right direction" (i.e. tell you which car you want to buy), the decision here has to be yours, once you've weighed up each car's relative merits.

Work out what you want from the car (and what you don't want), and then work out which of the potential purchases comes closest to fitting your needs. Simple.
Old 17 April 2004, 04:05 PM
sti555
Scooby Regular

Just Buy it
Old 17 April 2004, 04:12 PM
gatty
Scooby Regular

i have the sti 8 ppp they are great i had a m3 before also great but if i were you mate i would look at the spec c is that any help?