Sponsored by:

Where are all the wagons ?

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2004, 07:04 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Where are all the wagons ?

I've had a 98MY turbo saloon for about 4 years, and its time for a change. Unlike the current saloons the rear seats fold down, and I'd really hate to lose that capability, so although I didn't set out with the idea of getting a wagon I've gradually warmed to them. Out with Mrs. ricardo on Thursday we saw a nice silver one in the car park at Stourhead (anyone on here ?) and quite unexpectedly I got outline planning permission....

Unfortunately, there don't seem to be many about...

So, I'll ask a few wagon-related questions here, and you can all help out

What I want:
A turbo wagon.
Same or better accelleration than the current car.
Bucket seats, as similar as possible to the 98MY ones - I've driven 11 hours in a day in that without a trace of bum ache.

A UK car with PPP should do it, but only if I like the seats. Are buckets available ? (or is that only imports, which might make the PPP harder.) PX would be easier.
A JDM car with AVCS and a remap should do it as well, since it starts off with more power anyway. Anybody know what seats the JDM wagons have ? Other differences ?

And finally - since wagons always seem to be quite a bit more than saloons, what sort of price am I looking at - UK with haggling and import ? Autotrader lists very few, out of 160 Imprezas over 15k only about two were wagons.

Any thoughts ?

It can be nearly new or new.
Old 16 April 2004, 07:09 PM
little_idiot
Scooby Regular

As far as the seats are concerned, the interior in the turbo wagons, apart from the bigger **** end, is exactly the same as the saloon turbo's (buckets seats etc)

performance wise, same engine, what more can I say (I'm talking UK's as I know the JDM's had different power levels between wagons and saloons on the later classics)

Acceleration is apparently down by about .2 of a second cos of the weight, but i don't think that you'd notice and many people that i've spoken to regard them as better handling due to the added weight over the back wheels.

I love mine, had it for 2 months now and it's been a joy to drive every day

James
Old 16 April 2004, 07:27 PM
Squadron-Leader
Scooby Regular

Ricardo

Just traded in my MY99 Wagon for an MY04 Wagon. The MY99 had an amazing amount of space once the seats were forward and still performed well even when loaded up.

I had a standard UK car, but after a year or so.... de-cat centred it with a ProDrive BB. Also stuck on an up rated rear anti-roll bar/drop links. This made the car handle even better and sound sweet, even though performance wise the exhaust changes only gave me more revs in each gear (if you know what I mean) and got the Turbo spooling up faster.

The seats in the MY99 were great. I've suffered from a bad back for years and found the seats supportive and very adjustable. Have to say the MY04 seats are not as supportive around the shoulders and not as adjustable, but a bit plusher with plenty of lower back support. Maybe after a few months of use I'll wear them in

Mix together fog light covers, crystal indicators and colour coded skirts... and my MY99 was sorted.

My Mrs would only allow me to have a Wagon...... a decision I've never regretted! and she OK'd the new one too

J.

PS. You'll probably find my MY99 at a Subaru dealer for about £10500 - £10995 I reckon. DBM, 'T' reg, FSSH, 40K, 2 owners from new, still under extened warranty.

Last edited by Squadron-Leader; 16 April 2004 at 07:31 PM.
Old 16 April 2004, 07:47 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Squadron-Leader
The seats in the MY99 were great. I've suffered from a bad back for years and found the seats supportive and very adjustable. Have to say the MY04 seats are not as supportive around the shoulders and not as adjustable, but a bit plusher with plenty of lower back support. Maybe after a few months of use I'll wear them in
Thanks - keep 'em coming - that's exactly the stuff I need to know.
I'm definitely looking at a blob-eye btw, but I know there are 'sports seats' and 'bucket seats' - I guess yours are 'sports seats' and your MY99 ones were probably the ones I'm used to.
Old 16 April 2004, 08:06 PM
Squadron-Leader
Scooby Regular

Ricardo

Not sure about buckets in the MY04's being an option, but I'd be interested to hear otherwise. I know the STI's have buckets, which are pretty similar to the MY99 seats.

Thoughts on my MY04 after 400 miles...

Quite (but a tiny rattle from the dash )
Slightly noisy gearbox in 1st and 2nd and vibration in the clutch pedal, but getting better.
More torque (even tho I've not gone above 4K revs yet)
Smoothness of the Turbo coming in
Solidness
More headroom (The roof seems miles above me!)
Doors that go thud
Not as stiff suspension as the MY99. (sorting with lowering springs)
Feeling of being higher up than the MY99.

J.

Last edited by Squadron-Leader; 16 April 2004 at 08:09 PM.