Old 14 April 2004, 09:00 PM
WhiteSTi3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 WRX Import or 2002 WRX UK?

I have a choice of these 2 cars,

2001 WRX Import 16K Miles Mint
2002 WRX UK 32K Miles Mint

Both the same price, can someone please tell me the pro's & con's of each machine please?

Do I need Additive to run in the Import as well as optimax??? I do LOADS of miles
Old 14 April 2004, 09:32 PM
WhiteSTi3
Scooby Regular

bttt
Old 15 April 2004, 12:08 AM
keevster
Scooby Regular

go for the import. less miles, same car, same spec, soon to be out of warranty, but who cares, its got half the miles.
as for fuel, same same as a UK. how much you payin

Paul
Old 15 April 2004, 12:24 AM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

think you will need octane booster with the import ( unless you get it remapped), insurance might be a problem, if something goes wrong it can be harder to get bits, 2 pot breakes

uk car should have just had a bigish service at 30k (check this)

might be better finding a EU import
Old 15 April 2004, 12:31 AM
geldy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WhiteSTi3
I have a choice of these 2 cars,

2001 WRX Import 16K Miles Mint
2002 WRX UK 32K Miles Mint

Both the same price, can someone please tell me the pro's & con's of each machine please?

Do I need Additive to run in the Import as well as optimax??? I do LOADS of miles
if you do loads of miles you will destroy any low mileage premium that the 01 currently has you should see less depreciation on the 02. Personally I would go for newer rather than less miles, especially with the UK warranty
Old 15 April 2004, 08:46 AM
Gary H2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by geldy
if you do loads of miles you will destroy any low mileage premium that the 01 currently has you should see less depreciation on the 02. Personally I would go for newer rather than less miles, especially with the UK warranty
Believe me you'll need that warranty!
Go for the UK model. It'll work out cheaper in the long run. (cheaper to insure, service and easier to sell on.)

Gaz.
Old 15 April 2004, 10:01 AM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

When you say import though,is it a euro import or a jap import? If it's the former,then it will have a three year warranty on it (Maybe coming close to the end of its term though) (If it's come from Malta or Cyprus it would have only had 12 months warranty so that will be out the window now )
It will run on standard unleaded (Use Super or Optimax in it though!) without octane booster if it's a euro import too.Only jap imports need octane booster.
I have a belgian 2001 import and all warranty issues have been resolved for me by my local dealer (It can take a little longer timewise as IM have to apply to the country of origin in order to gain approval from them before the repair can take place)
There are pro's and cons with each car but I'd be tempted to shop around a bit more.How come you've only two cars in mind? (There must be others out there somewhere)

Good luck

Nick
Old 15 April 2004, 01:28 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

I thought I'd replied on this thread already

If its a jap import then it may have more power and perhaps more equipment but will not have a warranty that a UK dealer will recognise, and as others have found the issuing warranty company usually won't recognise it either if you ever have the missfortune to make a claim.

If its an EU import then yes, it does have a dealer recognised warranty, but it runs out this year.

With the 2002 UKmodel you have more time left on the warranty, also since you are doing large miles you will have the oppertunity to extend the warranty past the 3 years. If this is important to you then I'd enquire whether you can do the same to the import (if EU - if its jap then no chance).

Have you driven them? get the engine codes and post them on here, if you don't know if its a jap or EU import.

Come resale time the newer UK with extended warranty may sell quicker/for more, especially with that leather.
Old 15 April 2004, 02:23 PM
Boss Hogg
Scooby Regular

UK car has just had the expensive all fluids service done as well (approx £400 + ), so you won't have that to worry about. You also want to factor tyres and pads in as well -mine were replaced at 15k miles - new tryes at about £600 a set, plus front pads, £100, so check both cars, and factor in the money you may have to spend in a few months will the miles you're doing. Buy the one that will cost you less....
Old 15 April 2004, 02:47 PM
subaru-impreza.org
Scooby Regular

This is a debate and ahalf! whats better the uk car or the import?

Nightmare!

Personally i would go for the UK car, cheaper insurance (25 years old) but as soon as the insurance comes down a little i wouldnt think twice about purchasing an import.

--- look forward to that day!

Gareth
http://www.subaru-impreza.org