Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chopping in an Impreza - moving on?

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2004, 04:24 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Chopping in an Impreza - moving on?

Anyone ever think about selling their Impreza and moving to something where:

A) You are less likely to drive like a lunatic?

B) More likely to retain your licence (clean at present)?

C) Insure cheaply, without mods etc?

D) Get less negative attention from Police, onlookers, "numpties" and traffic light racers?

Any opinions would be great.

Brian.
Old 14 April 2004, 04:40 PM
FrenchBoy
Scooby Regular

I do wander whether its all worth it sometimes!!

I'm due in court in may so I'll be looking forward to an extended break from my car.

Its true, whenever I'm driving I'm constantly looking for opportunities to press the loud pedal. I find it almost impossible to drive normally without feeling frustrated!

And then when you do get the chance to 'enjoy' the car you're in constant fear of being caught by some speed-enforcement ****.

Might end up being forced to chop it in and go back to a Clio 182 or something.

Didnt get pulled once in 3 years of owning a 172.

Old 14 April 2004, 04:43 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that French Boy,

Good luck in court.

Anyone else any comments? Don't reply with the "yes, but as soon as I drive it I want to keep it" - is that enough?

Brian.
Old 14 April 2004, 04:44 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

A) You are less likely to drive like a lunatic?

B) More likely to retain your licence (clean at present)?

C) Insure cheaply, without mods etc?

D) Get less negative attention from Police, onlookers, "numpties" and traffic light racers?

Any opinions would be great.
You don't need to be in a Subaru to do any of the above? The car doesn't drive itself you know? Perhaps it's a case of good car bad driver!!!!
dave
Old 14 April 2004, 04:47 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by misty
You don't need to be in a Subaru to do any of the above? The car doesn't drive itself you know? Perhaps it's a case of good car bad driver!!!!
dave
Thanks Dave,

I get your point. I am a very sedate driver so an Impreza is a bit of strange one for me anyway - however the Impreza makes me drive in a way I would not even consider doing in another car. I am sure many poeple find the same - driving a Ferrari around normally must be very difficult etc.

The car does have a certain something to do with it I believe.

Brian.
Old 14 April 2004, 04:50 PM
FrenchBoy
Scooby Regular

Misty,

I take it you are a paragon of restraint and virtue when it comes to driving your car - never been over 70 on a motorway etc?
Old 14 April 2004, 05:24 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

As FrenchBoy can attest - I drive like a Barsteward - most of the time! For the price - there is nothing else that has the grin factor, reliability, noise, image (better than a BMW to my clients) and comfort .....

Managed an indicated 155 in her last night - rock steady!

Last edited by MadMark; 14 April 2004 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Oh yeah - speed!
Old 14 April 2004, 05:35 PM
bonkers
Scooby Regular

I know where you're coming from wrxmania, my previous car was a Honda Civic and most of my driving experience had been in small, low-powered cars. (The exception being the Nissan 240SX I used to own with my then g/f)

Moving up to a WRX does involve a serious temptation to press the loud pedal. I certainly don't drive like yer granny but I've only been pulled over once for speeding - doing 75 in the fast lane of a 60 limit freeway early on a Saturday morning with very few other cars around was asking for it - and I got let off with a warning.

I'm sad to say I have not yet done over a ton in her... I would love to but I really don't want to risk a bad ticket or worse, loss of driving privileges. I need to find me a track day or something.

Guess what I'm saying is that I still have fun driving my WRX but head overrides foot, even though I would like to go faster.

Bonkers.
Old 14 April 2004, 05:44 PM
Dave!
Scooby Regular

Smile

Yep....reckon i will this year after 3 years of having mine - but not for any of the reasons you gave m8.
For me, there's just too many scoobs about now.
I'm currently looking at the possibility (financial!) of a Cerbie or Esprit V8.

Dave (MY00 Ver6 WRX type RA V Ltd).
Old 14 April 2004, 05:51 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did it already!

I had a 99my Turbo, kept it for 3 years & then moved away to protect my licence & frankly, I didn't want a bugeye. However 2½ years later, here I am back again with a WR1 on order. Not a lot compares with a Scoob, I even feel that a Scoob is safer to drive than most other cars.
Old 14 April 2004, 06:01 PM
scoobycar60
Scooby Regular

Selling my MY02 STI PPP time to move on..

Scoobys are great but they do tempt you to use the performance with a fatal
effect on your licence

So decided to change it

I could do with a little open top sportscar for the summer

and a four door run around when I need the convenience.

As with all the best plans of mice and men......

I ended up ordering an EVO8 MR FQ340. and am looking at 5.0L TVR Grif at the moment

No hope for me at all!
Old 14 April 2004, 06:11 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I've found that since getting the Scoob, my driving has been more sedate around town. It's partly my own consciousness of how easy a target I am for the ****'s, and part the fact that I don't really have anything to prove. I know it's fast, when I want it to be, and I save that for places where it is more appropriate.
Old 14 April 2004, 07:02 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

I chopped my P1 for the exact reasons mentioned at the start of the thread and am now v happy with my Clio Cup.

It was v hard to drive the P1 without exceeding the speed limit. In my last few months of ownership I had a number of brushes with the law for spurious reasons.

I still really miss the P1 but the Clio allows you to have 80% of the fun at legal speeds. I also started to feel embarrassed driving round in the P1 due to the geeky/chav image probs scoobs are unjustly and unfairly suffering nowadays and used to get the micky taken from mates.
Old 14 April 2004, 07:13 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Mines going as soon as I've found a replacement...I just don't get a buzz from it anymore and it's just a plain liability trying to prevent it getting nicked or dented

Also it's TOO practical - I'm the only one of my group of mates who has the biggest and most practical car, so I end up driving for all the road trips and nights out. Admittedly they do split the petrol on the big journeys, but for once it'll be nice for me to use the "I can only get 4 in my car" or "can't get all the luggage in the boot of mine" excuses.

Plus driving the thing slow makes me fall alseep, I've always hated the powersteering, I'm fed up of turbo lag and waiting 'till 3K for it to do its business and only getting any adrenalin pumping when i'm doing double the speed limit (which is how often these days? )

I've grown up and realised it's just a boring family saloon car with a turbo strapped on and nothing more.

Now what do I get instead? ....the search continues

Last edited by ALi-B; 14 April 2004 at 07:16 PM.
Old 14 April 2004, 07:14 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

What about audi RS2 / RS4 avant(estates) or new S4 4.2 V8 (whips scoob STi with PPP).

All 4x4 all very subtle in the right colours (not yellow).
Old 14 April 2004, 07:22 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Talking

I am seriously considering a Lexus IS200 Limited Edition 2004 registered. I have driven it - it is very good - rear wheel drive, 6 speed close ratio gearbox, great chassis and feel, 6 cylinder engine and incredible equipment and refinement. Reasonably good performance, superb stereo (especially compared to my 03 plate Impreza) and good looks. Also the reliability is second to none.

As I am the one who started this thread I may as well own up - not that I am necessarily guilty of all of the four reasons or have suffered from them but , mmmmmm, confused I is like!!!!!!

Anyone actually gone from an Impreza to a luxury car like the lexus or a BMW or Merc or Audi?!?
Old 14 April 2004, 07:22 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I've grown up and realised it's just a boring family saloon car with a turbo strapped on and nothing more.
Thing is, no, it isn't. It's easy to take the car for granted when it's your everyday transport, but just try driving a 'normal' car and you'll soon see the difference. Every time I drive something else, for whatever reason, I last about five minutes before thinking to myself, 'OK - I'd like my scooby back now'. The only car that doesn't happen in is my Westfield, which is faster, RWD and doesn't give my mind chance to wander!

My scooby is four years old now and starting to give mechanical trouble, so I've thought about changing it. Trouble is, the only car I want to change it for is another scooby - so, I've decided to keep it instead. It's just had a new engine, and I'll probably keep the car until that one dies too.
Old 14 April 2004, 07:37 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Thing is, no, it isn't. It's easy to take the car for granted when it's your everyday transport, but just try driving a 'normal' car and you'll soon see the difference
It's not my everyday car. I've used a Nissan Sunny 1.3 as an everyday for the past two years. Scooby feels too disconnected from the driver, and that why I say it's just a saloon on steroids.

Drive a Honda NSX, or old generation Porsche 911. Scoob is faster than them both, but I never got bored of the above...no matter how I drove them. Scoob is boring, sorry, but that's the way I find it. It was built as a saloon car, it's suspension is designed to be cheap and save space, as with almost every other component such as the power steering and lets not mention the brakes shall we? . And that compromise is probably what ruins the cars driving experience.
Old 14 April 2004, 07:40 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Talking

OK - I have a 2003 WRX so the brakes, performance etc are not an issue - it is incredible on UK roads. I drive it every day and I still enjoy it.

Any suggestions - I want ideas from people who hav moved on, not to another quicker car etc, but in a different direction from the Scoob.

Brian.
Old 14 April 2004, 07:50 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

I sold my Scoob a few months back and **** me the drive to work is boring now
Back in a poxy old Vectra 1.8 poodling along the roads, no one gives you a second look, and I can hardly hear the engine tick over when I stop
Trust me, DO NOT SELL unless you really have to.
Old 14 April 2004, 07:57 PM
Brian the Sn@il
Scooby Senior

speed and driving fast depends on Model

with my MY85 WRX it was fine a going a bit slow

But with my Type R with uprated super hard suspension and Racing Plugs that misfire with the engine anything under RED HOT, its a different story,

The R just has to go fast and be driven fast, must be the same with the P1 etc

Really depends on what Scoob you drive, Ive heard that many REPS have bought the 03 WRX to drive high miles on motorways because they have nice ride and handling.

You drive how you want to, but the Model does dictate how fast
Old 14 April 2004, 07:59 PM
andykidman
Scooby Regular

Well i suffered from all your reasons when i had my MY97 Uk turbo, so got rid and got a 3dr Fiat Stilo!!
mmmmmm slow, soggy but quite stylish....
then got a focus st170
mmmmm not as fast as i thought, expensive insurance, sat too high in it

So now got Impreza Sport
I`m happy, dont have to worry about speeding as much, just still get all the looks though
Old 14 April 2004, 08:18 PM
Fidd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brian the Sn@il
speed and driving fast depends on Model

with my MY85 WRX it was fine a going a bit slow
Hmmmm .... MY85 ???? Super rare one there !!!! .... LOL
Old 14 April 2004, 08:30 PM
nathanj
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

It sounds like we are all in the same old club.

i was addicted to speed on my GSX 750R for along time until i was forced to sell it before i lost my licence.

Then i brought an Integra Type R, that was a lot of fun. again forced to sell to by a house with the misses, drove a really boring ford for a year

But now i'm back on it agian, with that loud button in my 94 wrx, and having lots of fun....... however i'm always cocerned about MR CAMERA around the next corner.

Nath
Old 14 April 2004, 08:48 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxmania
I want ideas from people who have moved on, not to another quicker car etc, but in a different direction from the Scoob.
Brian.
About a dozen of 'us' have moved to Skoda vRS or 4x4 Turbo from Impreza.
(www.briskoda.net)
Old 14 April 2004, 09:48 PM
JohnnyR6
Scooby Regular

I got my scoob to do exactly that, except for the insurance bit, bought it to slow me down and keep my license etc. Oh incase you think i'm mad i had a bike before it.
Old 14 April 2004, 10:23 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Hm, odd. Its taken me 7 years for me to get my scoob, I came close 2 years back but ended up with a Civic Type R.

I have driven lots and lots of performance cars and taken them to their limits and for me the standard WRX is a very good drivers car out of the box, infact in current production would say its one of the best <20k drivers cars, maybe the S2000 also with it but I think they are about 22k?. The STi is even better and is next on my list...