ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

The fastest birdbath on Earth!

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2000, 11:26 PM
jase cooper
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

He/she came out of nowhere...waterspray was running at the time and it just popped in there...scared the living sh*t out of me I can tell you...

I mean can you believe it...I know planes can refuel in the air but pigeons taking the liberty of a wash & brush up (and dump) in ye scoop at 80 is plain daft...was obviously late for something...

jase.

ps. pigeon seemed ok...(sort of)
Old 20 June 2000, 06:25 AM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>ps. pigeon seemed ok...(sort of) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What as a sandwich paste???

Richard
Old 20 June 2000, 10:39 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

A few weeks back I was driving down a local country lane when a bird shot out of the hedge and disappeared from view under the front. It looked close, and I didn't see anything in the mirror so assumed the bird got away with it. There was no sign of it when I parked and had a quick look at the front of the car.

Last week while washing the car (which had turned into a mobile flay trap) I looked in the radiator space behind the number plate and there starring back (well, not staring actually since it no longer had any eyes), was the remains of a sparrow. I had to extract it with a pair of long grass shears. A horrible experience. I hate this king of thing. It's the second one that I've 'caught' and saddens me every time (I'm just a softie at heart)....
Old 20 June 2000, 02:44 PM
KimA
Scooby Regular

We had a pigeon shoot out in front of us a couple of months ago - we were doing about 80 - smacked into the corner of the windscreen (I curled into my best fetal position as I didn't know what it was and decided that it was going to come through the window at me!), and left most of it's brains on the screen/corner of the passenger door. Felt awful, but wasn't much we could do. Did drive back the same way, but couldn't find anything. (Took the car down the jetwash to start with, couldn't bear to look).
Old 20 June 2000, 02:56 PM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

Can't manage a pigeon but a couple of months ago, I was out for a drive with my girlfriend when a rabbit ran out. I braked and tried to avoid it but couldn't and hit it. She made me go back to check on it (she's a vet nurse).

When we got there it was lying in the road and was still. Until I got about 2 feet away that is, when it was frantically trying to drag itself across the road. She wouldn't let me leave it and made me run it over AGAIN to make sure it was dead.

That was real nice.
Old 20 June 2000, 03:58 PM
Jeff Wiltshire
Scooby Regular

Red face

A friend of mine was going across Dartmoor in the fog in a hired Astra when he came around a corner to find a Bull stand in the road. The Bull's horns went through the windscreen and bent the A pillar back. My mate stops to calm his heart rate (!) and then realises that the Bull is still on its feet and staggering towards him......

He left rather sharpish....

Astra was a write off

Jeff
Old 20 June 2000, 04:10 PM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

When I was driving from Sydney to Adelaide a couple of years ago, I noticed that the road up ahead was "moving". It turned out to be a "sea" of mice.. There was a plague of them at the time..

They're not much fun to drive over, let me tell you. Sort of like driving on slightly bumpy wet ice.

Richard
Old 20 June 2000, 05:33 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Not sure I could have done that. My imagination is too good.

I bet it was hard to shift the 'remains'..

[This message has been edited by Nimbus (edited 20-06-2000).]
Old 20 June 2000, 06:09 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Not killed anything yet with the Scooby [TTBOMK] but my 'job' gets me in the cab of trains at times.

We tend to get loads of pidgeons, but once we hit a bird (long beaked thing about the size of a chicken) at 100mph. Thought nothing about it until we got to Peterborough Station to turn round - Then found the thing has embedded itself, beak first, straight through a fibreglass & aluminium honeycomb part of the front of the train, took about an hour to get it out and cost £1700 for a replacement part.

[If this thread get's really bad I'll tell you about the Cat and the video camera]

Chris
(Definately NOT a spotter!)
Old 20 June 2000, 06:20 PM
IainT
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I hit a wedge tailed eagle in the Aussie outback as it flew off from a dead kangaroo when I was driving a big Ford Falcon
Biggest bird I'd ever seen ( 8ft wingspan) and it just bounced off and flew away leaving me to travel 170 kms to Alice Springs with no windscreen (and a nasty smell in the car! )
Took me ages to pick the dead flies off my face!
Cheers
Iain

[This message has been edited by IainT (edited 20-06-2000).]
Old 20 June 2000, 08:51 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking

One of my mates spends his time at British Aerospace firing chickens out of an air cannon at 600MPH into various aircraft parts.

Top Job, not!
Old 20 June 2000, 10:00 PM
WALKER
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yeh Jase,

But what altitude was you flying at at the time

Seriously though, i hope you didn`t do any damage.......

Paul
Old 20 June 2000, 10:10 PM
MarkF
Scooby Regular

Just to add to this topic; I removed part of the exhaust heat shield a while ago. About two months ago I was out at night doing about 70mph (dual carriageway, honest )when I hit a rabbit. At the time I didn't think much of it. (And no, I didn't cry at Watership Down either)
A couple of days later when the exhaust got hot I could smell something cooking/burning. Turned out that some parts of the rabbit had got sliced off and wedged about the exhaust. Not very nice trying to scrape it off your exhaust I can tell you.

Old 20 June 2000, 10:54 PM
KenG
Scooby Regular

A few years back a clobbered a pheasant on the way back from Scotland to Leeds. Stopped to fill up with petrol near Newcastle and saw a pair of birds feet and rear end poking out of the radiator grille of my Mazda Xedos (sorry boys, I have a shady past). I wondered why people were waving at me, I also waved back at a few!

Ken
Old 20 June 2000, 11:56 PM
Bright Kar
Scooby Regular

Ive got two bird insidence of note.

One, I was driving down the motorway doing around 90 when I caught glimpse of a small bird and then the thing hit my windscreen (obviously I didnt hit him, it was his fault). The thing, a sparrow I think, got wedged under the windscreen wiper. Not being a person to shock easy I choose to ignore it and keep driving (I didnt alter my speed). I had another 2 hours of driving to do but I ended up giving up after only 15 minutes as the wing kept flapping in the wind and was pissing me off.

Quite recently I hit a pheasant at a fair speed. My partner who was in the car was in a bit of shock. As usual I was unphased. I did decide to pull over at a convenient place to see if there was any damage. The car was ok but the roof was covered in small bits of meat - for Quake game players, "gibs" would be a great description. When I arrive to my destination, Weston-Super-Mare, I couldnt find a sodding car wash !. I told the missus not to look when she got out but they never listen .........

bkar
Old 21 June 2000, 12:30 AM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

Cool

Apparently you're not allowed to pick something up and take it home to eat it if you run it over. However, if you find it already run over then you can! Bit weird but there you go...
Old 21 June 2000, 08:05 AM
KimA
Scooby Regular

CharlieWhiskey,

Come on, tell us about the cat and the video camera.

I need cheering up(?) this morning.
Old 21 June 2000, 10:38 AM
rjc
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I hit a sparrow at 90mph in my Lotus Elise last year and it splatted all over the front grille. Makes one a hell of a noise in a little Lotus. It took me 30 minutes with a jet wash to get its innards extracted from the radiator. I was still smelling cooked sparrow for months afterwards.

I hit a pheasant a few months later at about 50mph. Cracked the front fibreglass clamshell and resulted in a £460 repair bill. Couldn't even find the thing to eat it afterwards!

I'm very wary of hitting anything now whilst blatting about the local B roads. Lets hope the Scooby is a bit more robust in this respect.
Old 21 June 2000, 04:01 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Erm......maybe I should keep this to myself but when I was checking out the local area having recently moved house (Peak District National Park) I spotted what I thought was a black cat trying to get underneath a hedge row, unfortunately this "cat" was about 2 foot tall and 4ft long, not including the large bulbous tail....taking the dog for a walk hasn't quite been the same since!
Old 22 June 2000, 04:31 PM
Basil
Scooby Regular

I've so far managed to hit 2 woodland creatures..

I hit a rabbit on some back roads in my old car (a Saturn) - well, I heard the poor lad bump the whole way back, and when I looked out the mirror, all I could see what a fluffy white cotton tail bouncing down the road.. Tragic, yes, but I almost hit a tree because I was laughing so hard.. Sad and yet funny at the same time.. All I could think was "here comes Peter Cottontail, hopping down the bunny trail.."..

I just managed to hit a bird in the scooby last month.. You'd think, being the only creature on god's green earth having the gift of flight, they'd be smart enough to get outta the road.. Apparently not.. Got sucked into the "maw", and proceeded to rattle around until I was able to pull over.. I'm still finding feather in the engine bay..

Basil
Old 23 June 2000, 11:04 PM
Jonathan Witts
Scooby Regular

When I was in my teens I had a mini. One night driving flat out at 70mph on an empty motorway I hit a fox. Now that did make a mess, and made me nearly s*** myself.

Used to live in Devon, had a Very close miss with a dear one day - try getting one of thoses out of your radiator.

Jon
Old 24 June 2000, 01:15 AM
Moz
Scooby Regular

A while ago I had a cat run out on me, I swerved this way and that , arms sawing away at the wheel until finally..I got it.
Old 25 June 2000, 12:10 AM
DAZ 4
Scooby Regular

I too hit a rabbit a while back....

I stopped the scooby to check (if it was brown bread) when a farmer came across from a field and started shouting and hollering about city types, no consideration etc..

Well to shut him up I went to the boot pulled out a can of spray gave the rabbit a quick blast and stood back and watched.

The rabbit pricked up his ears jumped up and hopped across the road, waving back to me and the farmer. He then hopped a bit further up the hill turned back and waved furiously to us both. The farmer was absolutely amazed and turned to me and said.

"what the f**ck is in that can of spray" ?

To which I replied.....

"Oh It's just a hare restorer with a permanent wave" !!!

Sorry folks, bored this morning and trying to prolong some much needed DIY at home.

p.s it didn't have carnauba wax in it