ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Airport Parking for P1???

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2000, 10:02 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evening all,

I am due to go on my jollies mid July and will be flying from Gatwick.

Does anyone know any good, secure, preferably covered car parks that I could leave a sonic blue scoob in for 2 weeks???

And I mean proper companies and not some kind fella willing to garage the P1 for me......and then drive the hell out of it for 2 weeks until I return!!!...

Any help???

Cheers Rum
Old 19 June 2000, 10:49 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Cool

Dont be a tart Tom!

Old 19 June 2000, 11:00 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Thumbs down

Take the train, leave the P1 at home. No way would I leave my car there.
Old 19 June 2000, 11:09 PM
DAVE-W
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

The problem you've got now is that if you DO decide to airport park it, then the low life who read this BBS will certainly be scouring the car parks near the airport. Security or not, if they want a car they'll have it-it's a sad state of affairs but it's the world we live in.......b@stards!

David
Old 19 June 2000, 11:30 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

A Tart??!!!....Arron...now now now....well...yea...I guess so....well its either the P1 or the other halfs Galaxy...just don't think I could lower myself to the Galaxy.

Can't take the train....would be OK going outward...but coming back we arrive at 01.30 - and we need to be back in Leeds @ 07.30 to pick up the kids!!! *sigh*....

Thanks for comments anyways!

Phaaaa...tart...I mean.....whatever next....
Old 19 June 2000, 11:32 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Thinking about it Arron....maybe you'll want to borrow it....I mean yours might not have arrived...and I hear you know how to corner well on 4 wheels.....well take roundabouts anyways
Old 20 June 2000, 12:12 AM
PeteC
Scooby Regular

Totally agree with DanTheMan. I've used BCP at both Heathrow and Gatwick and would thoroughly recommend them. A lot cheaper than the NCP at Heathrow. Around the same price at Gatwick, if I remember correctly.

Having also used the NCP in the past at both airports, I would have thought it would be more unlikely to get a car nicked from the BCP, simply because their people are continually parking owner's cars, and would probably notice anyone hanging around.

Possibly wishful thinking, but my preference would definitely be BCP.
Old 20 June 2000, 08:37 AM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Hello, ,
Ok i'm not soo sure about NCP car parks etc, but i do know there is a British airways car park for BA staff (but i'm sure theres a way to get you past that) Basically this is where all the pilots/crew leave there cars and I'll get the phone number for you if you want? - It works for me as a student pilot and don't think it would be too big of a hassle just to fit you in. It can't hurt?
Ian

PS- Dave- You think people are actually going to care about doing that? Mind you, I wouldn't leave my scooby there for more than a day
Old 20 June 2000, 10:36 AM
ianlove
Scooby Regular

I think you could try the private carparks. As well as being cheaper I was impressed with the security.
Old 20 June 2000, 10:55 AM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rum: I parked mine in BCP parking (approx £30 for a week) which is cheaper than a train or taxi. The best thing is that you park in a lot in front of the office, take your bags to the bus and then they take it out back to a secure compound where only the "parkers" get access, its a bit scary to see someone else driving off in your car but they were ok. They even offer a valet and service at a price. A nice thing is that they keep the keys, so you dont have to worry about losing them on the beach !!!. And when you return from holiday you ring them from the terminal and they pick you up and have your car ready for collection back at the front of the office......definately reccomended
Dan
Old 20 June 2000, 11:32 AM
KimA
Scooby Regular

We use NCP Airport Parking at Gatwick (sound exactly the same as BCP - coach to/from the airport/same price). We always leave our Scooby with them, and have never had any problems.
Old 20 June 2000, 01:50 PM
KF
Scooby Regular

I would tend to agree. As the private parks are valet parked, if they see someone driving a car off their compound and they don't recognise them, they can be sure the car has been TWOCed. Most thieves wouldn't risk it.
Getting a reputation for being insecure would be the worst thing imaginable for a private park at an airport, so personally I would feel safer with the car there than most other places. You could always phone them up and ask them how many cars they have lost - I would be interested to know.
KF.
Old 20 June 2000, 03:21 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Thanks to you all...Dan the Man, could you e-mail the Gatwick BCP number to me on tom@schofieldinsurance.co.uk...thanks

The reason for asking was mainly because I have previously parked the Scoob at a covered, totally secure carpark outside Manchester airport - they even turn the car over (the engine that is!!! ) after 7 days - to make sure the battery doesn't go flat etc etc...and was wondering if anyone knew of a similar place.

As with the above comment to Dan - please could you mail me at above address or call on 0113 250 0377

Ta

Tom
Old 20 June 2000, 03:27 PM
RussP
Scooby Regular

Rum

Left my sonic blue V-Limited in the short stay at Gatwick for a couple of hours last night to pick a friend up and that was stressful enough!

Mind you, having had her first ride in the scoob, she tells me it's quicker than the jet home from corfu!

Whereever you park it, leave it UNDER the camera!

Russ
Old 20 June 2000, 03:29 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Russ....cameras are a must! parking the bl%%dy thing anywhere is stressful enough!!! Let alone for 2 weeks +....hence hopefully a covered secure carpark.

Cheers

Tom
Old 20 June 2000, 03:33 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

P1's probably ain't gonna get nicked as often as 4 doors anyway - not as good a villans car. Harder to get loot in and out, fewer doors and no folding seats. Relax and enjoy it.
Chuck
Old 20 June 2000, 07:11 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Rum,

i don't want to worry you unduly, but ...

We recently held a week long conference at a hotel near Manchester Airport (i will not mention it's name). It turned out that it offered a package whereby you could stay overnight (to catch an early flight), catch a free curtesy bus to the airpost, and leave your car parked (in a so-called secure car-park) for up to two weeks - all for a very reasonable price.

To cut a long story short, after the first night we discovered over 20 cars that had been broken into. They were mainly BMWs, and the thieves had jammed a screwdriver into the window frame, and levered it back to break the passenger door window (thus door frame bent out of shape). This was so that they could lean in without opening the door (voltage drop alarms) and no steering wheel to obstruct access to the radio. They even entered cars with their security panel removed - so many folks leave them in the glove box! Locked glove boxes were torn apart to check for said panels.

The saddest sight was a top-spec Mercedes, broken window, soaking wet leather seats and wooden trim. On the dashboard was a hand-written note saying call so-an-so Police when you get back to obtain a crime reference number, and it was dated two weeks previous. Someone would get back from a happy holiday to a horrible sight.

As far as we could tell, the security cameras were dummies, and the dog patrols that were sign-posted didn't exist.

Admittedly the hotel did take _some_ measures to try to prevent this happening again, but another group from work (unwittingly) held a training course there a couple of months later, and 25% of the cars were also broken into.

This is probably an isolated case (and Manchester is miles from Gatwick), but you may want to double check just how secure a given parking facility is (maybe ask for written confirmation of no thefts!).

Our company insurance took a big hit that week.

mb
Old 20 June 2000, 09:20 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

I've also used BCP at Gatwick and was impressed, no extra milage on car and I couldn't see how anyone could drive one out who didn't work there. On the other hand they were full a couple of weeks ago and I had to use the on airport long term parking, after having a look at the (lack of) security I was very worried, basically you could drive out behind a bus if you'd stolen a car.
Old 20 June 2000, 10:13 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Cool

Might have to take you up on your offer to borrow your car Tom.
Been to my dealer today and offered £13250 part ex???
Old 20 June 2000, 10:18 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Arron...not sounding too good....get it in the mags and try and shift it asap....I guess the dealer isn't going to offer any more???is he??

Tom
Old 20 June 2000, 10:20 PM
GRANT
Scooby Regular

Smile

Silly question,
has anyone got BCP phone number.

Grant
Old 20 June 2000, 10:40 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Grant,

Just looking at the BCP web site...
Old 20 June 2000, 11:23 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Angry

Well Tom, he reckons that the car is worth £14995 on the forecourt.
Thats full margin on the P1,full margin on the brake kit and backbox plus hes charging me for fitting the extras.
Takes the **** me thinks.........
PS Hope the insurance thing is cool.
Talk to u soon.
Old 20 June 2000, 11:32 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Arron....yea...taking the p@ss!

Re the insurance - no problem - I understand, and if I had been in the same boat, whether you or your broker - to be totally honest I would have done exactly the same.

Will speak later in the week...

C U

Tom
Old 24 June 2000, 02:56 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Angry

Decided to leave the RB5 at home last week, rather than risk the heathrow parking.

Last year I went to BCP and they took it off and parked it. When I returned, they couldn't find the keys but went off to 'check the car' - then amazingly had found the keys and brought them back to me.

The keys were wet and the clifford remote didn't work (hence why they hadn't brought me the car as they didn't know the valet code). They totally denied leaving the keys in the car door for the fortnight but the totally corroded circuit board/battery in both the clifford and vehicle remote kind of gave me a clue as to what had happened: never been back!!
Old 24 June 2000, 03:21 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take the Galaxy - simple

Who wants a Galaxy after all???

Old 24 June 2000, 04:29 PM
RussP
Scooby Regular

I love airport carparks... the HKS exhaust on mine just sets off every factory BMW alarm going ... but what can you do? Got three at once at Gatwick!