ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ROADKILL! :-o

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2004, 09:40 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ROADKILL! :-o

Just goes to show how strong modern windscreens are.

I hit a pidgeon today on the motorway at a 'scooby 70'

It appeared from nowhere and hit right in front of my passenger and made a HELL of a bang, and a massive cloud of feathers in my rear view that covered two lanes of the Mway.

Fortunately no lasting damage, but I can't say the same for the pidgeon.

Was on my way back from cornwall where i also narrowly missed a kamikaze badger!!

Anyone else had any nasty roadkill moments?
Old 29 March 2004, 09:43 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Talking

While out shooting in my landrover I hit something, no idea what, but it made a HUGE bang. I think it was a pheasent. Was tempted to go and collect it for eating
Old 29 March 2004, 09:44 PM
IPKIS
Scooby Regular

yup 2 years ago pheasent flew out in front of me doing 90 smashed my grill and headlight the bugger ...

but he did taste nice

waste not want not
Old 29 March 2004, 09:45 PM
Pockman
Scooby Regular

Dark country road, middle of nowhere, doing 60ish (fortunately in my old rover 827) fat old labrador runs onto road. Must have weighed 30 - 40 lbs.

Result no radiator, no front vallance, one headlight gone and front cross member touching the engine! luckily it went under the car, not over the bonnet.
Old 29 March 2004, 09:50 PM
MarksWRX
Scooby Regular

I had to go to Louisiana with work last year and the road kill there were alligators! Strange sight when your only used to seeing UK road kill.
Old 29 March 2004, 09:52 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

pockman - yeah, it made me think what if it had been a deer or something bigger like that. Could do some serious damage...
Old 29 March 2004, 09:53 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Mate of mine wrote his car off hitting a pig. One big bloody mess.
Old 29 March 2004, 09:55 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

but hamburgers for all!!!
Old 29 March 2004, 09:58 PM
Carl2
Scooby Regular

A68 just over the border in Scotland, pitch black, middle of winter, guy parked up at the side of the road (having a pitstop I thought) I'm doing 60 (honest officer) I move over to go past him......... and go straight over a fully grown dead deer, ripping my exhaust off in the process.
Old 29 March 2004, 11:30 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

A house brick hit my windscreen a few weeks ago, while I was doing 70(ish!!) on the motorway, in my 330.

I saw something bounce towards the car and then onto the bonnet and onto the screen, it was so loud I cannot begin to describe it. It sort of bounced off the screen and over the top of the car.

Me and the passenger both said in unison "Was that a brick?".

Not a mark on the screen and two tiny dents in the bonnet. I was selling the car the next day, fortunately the damage was so slight the Dealer didn't notice.

We didn't say much for the rest of the journey.......
Old 30 March 2004, 06:01 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Two people were killed locally when they hit a cow on a dark country road......
STEEVE..........
Old 30 March 2004, 07:10 AM
ShyTot
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Not for ages because I don't drive over the pennines anymore, but..

When I was 20 I hit a sheep on the Woodhead pass

When I was 23ish I hit a cow on the road above Castleton, dont know what its called - That suprised me a bit

When I was 28 I hit another cow on the road between Sun City and Johannesburg in SA. I was very glad that the car was still driveable!! I will never forget the look in that cows eyes just before I hit it.
You don't want to kill someones cow in that part of the world I can tell you..

Oh and rabbits galore, they are so dumb, but as I said, not for years now
Old 30 March 2004, 07:11 AM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

Three in one week with my old 309GTi,

1, Going to work nice little road, sparrow flew out of a bush bang one new foglight required lot of feathers from a small bird

2, About two days later, going home from work, baby bunny he goes one way I go the other he changes mind so do I then he changed again splat.

3, The next night, going to Knockhill after work for a track night, running late (as usual) comes round a corner heading for KH doing erm speed, blooming Pheasant in the middle of the road, knowing the Pug's tendancy for swapping ends on mid-corner lift off I thought he'll move, wrong thud - thud, drivers side front and back wheel over the poor blighter, cue mince all up the side of the car and wheels/arches etc.

Not a good week.

John.
Old 30 March 2004, 07:21 AM
hybwrx2002
Scooby Regular

Flock of small birds that I thought were gonna move, decided to take off half way under the car, lots of feathers out the back. Dodged 3 badgers that try and bite my wheels, avoided a Deer that jumped out of nowhere at 70!
Killed a squirrel I slowed down for it but just heard "Badump......badump"

:/
Old 30 March 2004, 07:29 AM
willy
Scooby Regular

CW hit a duck on Sunday LOL

I shouldnt laugh, cos the male just got out of the way, leaving his mate dead in the road...
My friends scooby still has duck feathers stuck in his front grill!
Old 30 March 2004, 08:08 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

I was out one day on a borrowed Honda RVF-400 which had been race tuned and very well set up. Travelling at a VERY *ahem* speed, i sat up to brake for a corner just as a sparrow flew across the road. It got sucked up over the screen and hit me in the right side of the chest, no idea what happened to it (can't have been good) but it felt like i'd been punched bl**dy hard! Managed to keep the bike on the road though, which was nice.
Old 30 March 2004, 08:15 AM
madras
Scooby Regular

A slight role reversal here.

I was sitting in my old XR3i in a small traffic jam in Bushy Park, when a baby dear ran head first in to my drivers door, what a noise, what a mess, what a lot of damage. All the Parks Police saidy was "You're lucky it wasn't an adult, otherwise it would have come out the other side!!!"

And I got a producer!

madras
Old 30 March 2004, 08:27 AM
gutter-rat
Scooby Regular

Was doing some marshalling at Goodwood a few years ago & a scooby turned up to go on track.
It had a pheasant firmly wedged in the scoop!
You could only just see it's feet!
Don't know what the damage was like, but the car was still driving round
Old 30 March 2004, 08:31 AM
BaldyMan
Scooby Regular

Got a magpie once - half asleep driving at 5 in the morning - it landed in the middle of the road.

Thought to myself "it'll move b4 i get to it" - lets just say that it did'nt.
Old 30 March 2004, 08:46 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Unhappy

Pheasant in the Xantia.........at a good 60:

I noticed the o/s headlight was loose later in the week, and took the grille off to have a better look at any damage, and there was a pheasant leg and thigh, done to a turn, stuck to the radiator.

Gives a whole new meaning to the term "grille" :

Worst one was a lorry wheelnut that sheared and came through the front windscreen of the ZX, while towing a caravan, at 60 in the outside lane of the very crowded A1!!!!

It hit me in the shoulder, and my eldest, in the back, under his eye. I still have it, it weighs nearly a pound.

Luckily it was bright sun, and I had on sunglasses, or the powdered glass that came into the car would have blinded me, and it would have been a multiple!!!!

Alcazar
Old 30 March 2004, 08:53 AM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

80mph A64 to york....

On my bike and a blackbird hit my helmet... and one went through the front wheel... they flew to avoid a car on the oposite carrigeway...
**** myself... bloody good job i had the visor down...the bang was incredable...

had a (was new then) Simpson Starwars helmet only had it a week and it was covered in bird bits... eeerrrrrrrrr... not very nice... was about 10 years ago but still remember it well.

don't normaly mind a face full of bird... but not @ 80
Old 30 March 2004, 09:08 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

I've had two or three bird stikes since I've been driving a scooby.

The biggest mess was a blackbird on the front wing. Bit of a kamikazzi attack that one... I saw it heading across the motorway at me from a distance and was thinking surely its going to pull up soon. 5 lanes and the central reservation later resulted in one bloody mess that took some serious cleaning

The most amuzing (sorry, but it was funny!) was a starling that clipped the front windscreen and was then impaled on the rear wing! It was stuck there for about 2 minutes before it eventually fell/blew off. I would've stopped to put it out of its missery, but was on the motorway and no safe place to stop!
Old 30 March 2004, 09:37 AM
OllieC
Scooby Regular

I've just returned from a small tour of Scotland, a country that now contains 4 less animals as a direct result.

There's a road near Tain which is about 4 miles long and completely straight. The original plan was to check the top speed, but there's a car parked up with hazards on so I slow down to pass. As I approach there's no sign of life so I'm just getting ready to boot it when this flock of sheep come running out onto the road from a path obscured by the parked car!!! These sheep were RUNNING - not ambling along. A farmer waving his ****ing sheep onto the road. Apparently hazzards are a sign that sheep are crossing.

One of the sheep flew up in the air, spraying **** over the car as it somersaulted over the bonnet. Another two just went "THUD". Anyway, 3 dead sheep and a small hoof-dent in the bonnet. I'm off to look for a body shop now.

We also had a blue-tit in the scoop two days earlier - piccies to follow
Old 30 March 2004, 09:45 AM
Terzo228
Scooby Regular

Why has no one said fox's yet ??
i thought that would have the most!
Old 30 March 2004, 10:54 AM
Ratman
Scooby Regular

Funny you should mention foxes - I missed one by about 2 inches last night as we both swerved. I think they're learning?!!

Ratman
MY98 Wagon
Old 30 March 2004, 11:07 AM
wrxtankie
Scooby Regular

Location: A.K.A RAIDEN, Watford & Tidworth. V7 STI Type RA Spec C, V2 STI,97JDM WRX, Daytona 675R
Unhappy

A couple of years ago i was driving through camp 30kph limit,
anyway my missus says "aaahhh kitty cat....................cat, cat CAT CAT".
hit it at 30 kph an hour and felt it go under front and rear wheel.
watched it run away in the rear veiw, well dragged itself away front legs only.

Felt guilty cos the missus was balling by now and we own three cats so i stopped to look for it.

I asked at each house on the road for about 100 metres if any body owned a black cat.

Turns out it was the padre´s cat. Doh!!

I then found it as i left their house, it had tried to crawl up the garden path to go home. Was not a pretty sight. Oh well guess im going to hell.
Old 30 March 2004, 11:35 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Ohh, that reminds me of my rabit story (sorry to hear about the cat though )

I was driving along a country road one evening and a rabbit ran out in front of the car. Nothing behind me, so I slammed on... it froze between the headlights and I came to a stop over it.

I didn't see it run out as it was dark, so I waited a few seconds before setting off again. At which point the rabit decided to set off too... in the same direction! I could just hear the rabbit banging the underside of my car as it ran along.

I stopped again and so did the rabbit. Started again and so did the rabbit. Finally I had to get out of the car and chase it out from under the car using a stick. The Rabbit seemed fine although I'm sure it was pretty scared by it all... I was pretty shook up too!
Old 30 March 2004, 11:40 AM
gutter-rat
Scooby Regular

BMWhere?,
Are you sure it wasn't banging on the bottom of the car telling you to stop because you'd caught it's lucky foot or something ?
(sorry if that was a bit too close to the knuckle)
Old 30 March 2004, 11:41 AM
markwild
Scooby Regular

hmm - Fox - Lost my P1 Style Lip on that one !

Also, pidgeon (exploded on front grill) and pheasant (top of windscreen and bounced along roof) (same day!).

Few years ago, someone let some mink free from a fur farm in Staffordshire - next day one is in the road in front of me and looks UP just as I reach it - One 'headless' mink !

Mark
Old 30 March 2004, 11:45 AM
clioooooo
Scooby Regular

Talking

I WAS DRIVING HOME AT 6.30 ONE MORNING AFTER A LONG NIGHT AT WORK. WAS JUST HEADING ALONG THE ROAD TO DROP MY MATE OFF WHEN SUDDENLY A BIRD FLEW OUT BETWEEN A COUPLE OF PARKED CARS. NEEDLESS TO SAY THE BIRD NEVER MADE IT THE WHOLE WAY ACROSS. IT WAS LIKE A SCENE FROM A CARTOON AS THE SKY WAS FILLED WITH FEATHERS. THE ONLY THING I COULD SAY WHILE TRYIN TO STOP LAUGHING WAS "LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE AINT GETTIN FED TODAY"

Quick Reply: ROADKILL! :-o