Had me wrx nicked and can't face another scooby

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2004, 07:48 AM
stephen emery
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Had me wrx nicked and can't face another scooby

Hi All

had my wrx my01 nicked a week ago ....Looks like cops say i will not get it back .....
Can't face another since it was ( still waiting for insurance payout) a nightmare and don't want it to happen again. tw@ts broke into my house

Had a scoob of sorts for 5 years now and feeling sh@t that i cannot get another.........

Going to the local skoda dealer at the weekend to buy a octavia, bog std one in the hope it will not get nicked....
Cost me a fortune doing up the security on the house ect.

i live in the middle of no-where and did not think this could happen...

Keep a look out ALL and be careful......

P@sses me off that scum like this can get away with this sort of thing and I can't get the car I want due to it

engoyed the time with scoob and on bbs

See you all

Bye

Steve

reg-ed feb 1999 on scoobynet
Old 26 March 2004, 08:03 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Steve,

I can understand your feelings on this 100% and if you were to leave because of them no one would blame you.

Please bear in mind that it's not just Scoobs thieves are after, it can be pretty much any 'nice' car. Statistically more 'normal' cars are stolen than performance ones. Then there is the moral aspect.

What right have the thieves to rob you of your right to enjoy whatever car you want to drive? The answer is none at all.

Fear that they will come back is an understandable feeling, but IMHO sometimes we have to push beyond fear in order to do what's right. It aint easy but its the only sure way not to let the scum win.

As I said, no one blames you for feeling the way you do. But I'm sure pretty much all of us on here hope you and your family take a stand and not ensure that criminals don't just rob people of their cars.
Old 26 March 2004, 08:04 AM
Eder22b
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that mate.
Old 26 March 2004, 08:06 AM
sti555
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear it mate

Whats stopping you from going & buying another??, sure it will make you feel better.

It's not really the end of the world tbh, buying a skoda dos'nt mean you be immune from another theft in the future.

If I were you I would sort out a driveway post etc, dog & better security on doors & windows, sad I know but pick yourself up & get down your nearest subaru dealer.....

Old 26 March 2004, 09:04 AM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Its the same for pretty much any car so don't be put off, I have hear of the same thing done for a g reg renault 19 and a S reg golf tdi so the buggers will go for anything dont let them beat you is all i can say/
Old 26 March 2004, 10:02 AM
WRX-Mark
Scooby Regular

The problem is - if you just read the messages on here you'd never have a scoob. The amount of posts about thefts, atempted thefts, scoobs being targeted in xxx etc leaves me feeling really worried about owning one. Actually as somebody else said the relative numbers stolen are quite small, and it doesn't really matter what car you have if somebody thinks they want it, its very difficult to stop them taking it.
Good luck with your insurance and whatever you get instead
Old 26 March 2004, 10:09 AM
SCD Simon
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts

Steve

If the cops have said you are not likely to get it back then what was the reason after you requested anyone with pics of the car to post them on here did the Webmaster and Police not want them put up at all ?

I presumed it was because they knew something that would lead to it's recovery, looks like i was well off the mark.

Would it not have been better for every scoobynet member to see a pic of the car in the hope that it could be seen/recovered. You may or may not want the car back back but i'm sure you wanted the scum caught that broke into your house and took it !!!!

Worth a look here

Simon

Last edited by SCD Simon; 26 March 2004 at 10:13 AM.
Old 26 March 2004, 10:14 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Sorry it's that much an effect on you that you feel you can't buy the car you want because of what others will try to take it. It's a sorry state of affairs.

Since I read about your car going missing on the cumbrian scoobs board, I've been getting really paranoid when going to bed - I keep thinking there's someone in the house looking for my keys.

Still, I hope you don't desert the scoobynet family - with 5 years of ownership under your belt, you're bound to have a bit of technical knowledge to help out the newbies.
Old 26 March 2004, 11:10 AM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that your thinking about not getting another Scoob....
Old 26 March 2004, 12:08 PM
papascooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Terrible news mate, but.....looking on the bright side.....

You've had scoobs for 5 years - this is the first theft.

If you buy another, you could get it fitted with a Tracker or one of those other thingies that were on group buy here a while ago (disable the car, lock the doors etc) or the cheapest and prob most useful option, on of those wheellock thingies that there may also have been a group buy for.

Don't let the b@st@rds win mate.
Old 26 March 2004, 01:15 PM
Subarstar
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear about your motor!

It's easy for us to say, go and buy another, but I wonder how many of us would, if faced with the same problem as you.

Don't rush into anything. Give it a lot of thought! You don't want to buy a different car and then regret it a few weeks later, when your scooby mates drive past and don't wave.

Whatever you do though don't let the scum beat you!
Old 26 March 2004, 01:18 PM
PhilA
Scooby Regular

sorry mate. could a tracker have helped you find the tw@ts?
Old 26 March 2004, 01:34 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

If they took the keys the tracker would not be activated until you found out car had gone - too late by then

A Blackjax would have stopped them I guess !
Old 26 March 2004, 02:19 PM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

Steve,

Sorry to hear about your situation Exactly a year ago last saturday, while my folks where on holiday, they had their house broken into and their cars stolen - BMW 330ci and a brand new Mercedes SL500.

It was during the day and their house alarm went off, so I was notified as there was no answer from their place as they were away (alarm linked to a security firm) and the police were also notified. The SL had a tracker and they were notified and it was recovered later that day (but needed some repairs). Unfortunately the BMW did not, and was gone. It later turned up after having been transported all over the world - IIRC it had been to Japan and then the Middle East However, by that time the insurance had paid up so it was gone from our point of view (the police actually said that they had known about its whereabouts for some time, and were waiting for the right moment - they actually ended up nicking a whole load of people, some of them quite high up in the organisation, and ended up recovering several hundred thousand pounds worth of cars - about the time were were told this there was a big article in the paper about a huge stolen car ring being busted, and a big honcho in the Middle East getting done.....can only assume they are related....).

Anyway, the point of my post was that I thought my dad wouldnt want his SL back....I dont know if I would want my car back - I will only know if I am in the unfortunate position I guess. After initially being unsure, he decided quite quickly that he wasnt going to give up the luxuries that he worked so hard for in his life so kept the Mercedes. My mum too, who lost her BMW, pretty much went out looking at replacing it virtually as soon as she got back and it looked like insurance would be ok. Same reasoning, she wasnt going to give up what she had worked for and enjoyed for the scum that did this sort of thing.

This all happened one week before I was due to pick up the Scooby Sent a few doubts through my head I can tell you!!! But I too decided that I wasnt going to give up my luxuries either - Ive taken, and take, as many precautions as I can without changing my life too much.

I can understand if you dont want to go back to a 'nice' car again, and I'm sure many people think the same having gone through it. As others have said though, it isnt just performance cars that are nicked, car jacked, vandalised etc...

But I do urge you to not rush into anything. If you have thought it through completely and have come your decision than thats great and good luck to you and your Skoda (cracking cars by all accounts, whatever model). Just make sure its the right decision for you.

Whatever you get, hope you will still stop by here though.

John
Old 26 March 2004, 04:54 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Having had cars stolen before, I know how you feel. I'm gutted for you.

You might want to consider changing your user name. I'm pretty sure professional thieves are targetting car-related BBS's for any potential names/addresses etc of the owners of nickable cars. It is ridiculously easy to trace the address of someone, once you have their name. I know of a girl who was ex-directory because she'd had problems with 2 stalkers. Despite this, all her details came up on Scoot and at least one other internet directory service.

If the thieves had traced your name to an address, they could have planned the theft well in advance.

I know this is a bit "after the horse has bolted", but I thought it worth pointing out in case it happens to someone else.

Last edited by Jerome; 26 March 2004 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Correcting some recursion
Old 26 March 2004, 06:24 PM
Beefy
Scooby Regular

Location: Wagons rolllllll yippee kai ayyy ..errrr ...etc ..etc

Sorry to hear about this. I had a near miss recently too with thieves trying to break into our house. Like you, I decided it wasnt worth the risk to me or my family. I now drive a mondeo, you cant get much more inconspicuous than that!
Old 26 March 2004, 06:32 PM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

had my wrx my01 nicked a week ago ....Looks like cops say i will not get it back .....
gutted for u m8

Cost me a fortune doing up the security on the house ect.
did u not have the wrx fitted with a tracking device?

i live in the middle of no-where and did not think this could happen...
the c$*ts will go any where and do anything

P@sses me off that scum like this can get away with this sort of thing and I can't get the car I want due to it

hell ye, these days its like we should accept it, cant defend ourselves or our property or else we'll end up behind bars cos the theif will press charges cos he was beaten up whilst breaking into our house.

engoyed the time with scoob and on bbs

See you all

Bye

Steve
dont let this scum win

wot was the reg? post it up, maybe some1 on here will spot it?
Old 26 March 2004, 06:39 PM
Green
Scooby Regular

...it's no longer a question of "who" but "when"!

...if it's physically possible, I'd highly recommend the driveway posts that sink in to the ground...approx £250 fitted and nothing nicked to date from those installed! (missus had one installed behind each gate at her yard after having had yet another trailer stolen!)
Old 26 March 2004, 07:06 PM
R.B
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear this Steve gutted for you mate and i i know what you mean about being put off but you will be back mate trust me you will.

Oh and the octavia thingy (Get the RS you knoew it makes sence)

Hope the scum get the fingers chopped off

R.B
Old 26 March 2004, 07:12 PM
Chokup
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear mate,worry about mine every night its like they wont stop at anything.Only way round it is to make home like a fortress, loads of security on car and cross your fingers and hope its there in the morning.
Old 26 March 2004, 07:35 PM
Bexlee
Scooby Regular

Steve

Unfortunate mate, but I have just read in the local rag of 3 local incidents of the scum breaking into houses and taking keys. The one nearest me was for a Toyota Avensis (nearly new!) So given that, a Skoda Octavia may not be any less desirable for thieves.

As a result, Police have urged motorists to take their keys to the bedroom at night. That has to be questionable advice? I'm not saying it isn't what I'd do, I'm just surprised the police would advise it. Out of reach of some wire through the letterbox, or a broken window maybe.

All the best, Steve.
Old 26 March 2004, 08:32 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

steave

you cant leave the cumbrianscoobs just some scum who robbed you of your pride and joy !!

you ARE going to the NBO2 maybe parked with the skoda boys and when you see 500 scoobs parked up there will be a few tears and you will be back where you belong

ready in time for the Raid across the Border 3 !!

take care
Old 26 March 2004, 09:24 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Not all trackers are disabled by the keys. NavTrak ones require the driver to have an ADR card on them.
Old 26 March 2004, 09:32 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Steve,
Don't let these scum beat you mate, if you enjoy your Scoob get another but have a tracker fitted mate, So sorry for your loss it must be really hard
All the best
Colin