Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2000, 07:13 AM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi all,

I need some advice here ....

Looks like I'm loosing my company carpark space and it's time to get a bike .. I've asked one or two people and had different answers so I'm after the definitive answer about tests, L-plates etc.

I'm mid-thirties ( oh that hurts ) never owned a bike (other than a step through in the early 80's) I'm looking for a 125/250 or similar but need to use the motorway (actually Europe's largest NCP ... the M6 !).

How do I stand and what options do I have ??

K
Old 16 June 2000, 08:31 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Hi,
First off, you can't take bike with 'L' plates on the motorway, period.
So that makes things simple. Take an accelerated course, mine was done over 5 days, 2 days each weekend and another Saturday, all done over consecutive weekends so out of the way in 3 weeks.
The 5 day intensive courses are also very good.
Pass your test, easy peasy.
Then decide what you want from the bike. If weather protection is important to you then I'd look at the new generation of 'super scooters' with engines from 250 to 400cc. These things cruise at 70 very comfortably, hell they'll cruise at 90 if you want.
But they are wide, and filtering opportunites for you will be reduced.
Otherwise get a 500CC bike like the learner schools use - Kwaka ER500 is very good as first 'big' bike.
Regards
Charles
ZX6R as daily commuter - brrmmm brrmm!
22B for the shopping trips.
Old 16 June 2000, 10:09 AM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi everyone

I'm also thinking about getting a motorbike license (had more than enough of public transport getting to work!). Is the direct access really that easy (I dont own a bike) and are you likely to pass first time, as I believe the cost could easily add up (£300+ for direct access, plus x amount for continuos re-takes)? My journey to work is approx 30 miles each way, all motorway. This would be at least 15k a year. What type of bike would be suited for this and any ideas on price?

Any comments appreciated
Old 16 June 2000, 10:43 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

ernie,
I think the pass ratio for novice riders is about 50%, it's not particularly difficult, though I'd say it is was harder than the car test - more technically demanding.
15k is alot of miles, but take a look at what couriers ride, mostly Honda NTV650's, you would probably have access to one on these at the school where you do direct access - they are very popular.
Have a look at
Old 18 June 2000, 11:21 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

Yep go for the courses.

I'd recommend getting a CBR600, should be able to get a decent one for 3/4k second hand.

Easy peasy to ride, comfy, reliable, honda build quality etc. Pretty safe too for a newbie to riding assuming you're reasonable responsible.

Once you get a bit more confident, you'll be glad you did cos it'll scratch well, do track days etc.

That's what I got a few moons ago after passing my test, it was brilliant till it got nicked

Others are a Suzuki Bandit (2nd hand only now I'd say), should be quite cheap now, Honda Hornet or Yamaha Fazer. These are all paired down, cheaper less intimidating versions of the sports versions. My brother's got a Bandit and loves it. Current Bike magazine has a test of these (and the latest CBR600).

Or you could go for an R1...

FYI I've currently got a Kawasaki ZX6R, not beginner friendly, too much of a handful at times, but I love it (he says having had a brilliant blast this after on it )

Hope this helps

Simon
Old 19 June 2000, 03:22 AM
TFyus
Scooby Regular

just forget about a liscence and buy an r1...everytime it looks like your liscence maybe questioned just boost off.

a prerequisite would be no number plates of course.

Steven ( ps i have read some threads saying sarcasm and banter is lame, it is my first post in months so im not to blame ...entirely! )

Old 19 June 2000, 11:08 AM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the advice folks ....

Gonna start looking for courses after me summer hols !!

And before anybody suggests it ...... I'll be keeping the scoob

Thanx
K
Old 19 June 2000, 01:00 PM
stan
Scooby Regular

Having never ridden a motorbike before I've just passed my bike test after completing the 5 day direct access course (over 2 weekends). Bought a secondhand Honda CBR600 which I'm now riding around the lanes of Hampshire and Berkshire. Once I feel a little more confident I'll start using it for the daily commute to work. Did the course through Motorcycle City in Farnborough. Pass rate on the day was 50% (2 passes, 2 failures). Drop me an email if you have any queries.
Old 19 June 2000, 01:12 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Question

Stan, what did your insurance cost? First bike a sports 600? I did the same, but insurance was more than the scoob.
Chuck
Old 19 June 2000, 01:45 PM
andyp
Scooby Regular

Little bit confused at the advice given so far. How many people passed their car test and went straight ahead and bought a P1?

I agree that sports 600s are very easy to ride, but I don't think I've met a biker yet that hasn't dropped his or her bike within the first year. My advice is to buy a cheap 600 and then chop and change your bike over the next few years to get a feel of the types of bikes available. Then once you know what type of bike you like spend some decent money on it.

I know of too many people that plump for the most fashionable bike at the time as a beginner and can't afford the depreciation to change it. Then 2 or three years down the line they try another bike and go "Wow, this bike suits me so much better, why didn't I get one of these?" - doh! The selection of high performance bikes you can get is amazing; with each one having a different character than the other. Performance and handling wise it's much more of a personal thing than a car, since all the bikes have pretty much identical performance in any price level, it's just down to how well it suits you.

At the end of the day it's a learning process, that'll probably take you a year or two to really get into the groove - why spend the money on something your really not going to appreciate?

Hope some of this makes sense and have fun!

Cheers,

Andy

[This message has been edited by andyp (edited 19-06-2000).]
Old 19 June 2000, 03:59 PM
stan
Scooby Regular

Chuck. Insurance for the bike was £650 fully comp from Carole Nash. This includes legal cover, RAC breakdown and interest free repayments. As a comparison a Honda 600 Hornet was quoted at £350. Bennetts and NU Direct were slightly more expensive.
Old 19 June 2000, 11:23 PM
john parker
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Kev
I've just been through a similar process to the one you describe, after 40 years of no interest at all in 'bikes I got one of those gotta scratch that itch feelings that just wouldn't go away, so direct access motorcycle test time it was, then a mountain of helpfull advice from all my biker mates on what to buy (basicaly whatever their fav' bike was !).
Some thoughts on the process.
Don't leave it too late to book a course, lots of folk get the urge come summer and test date availability can develop long lead times.
Check with local bikers as to top local training companies, quality can vary.
Direct access aint easy if you havn't ridden for some time/ever. I failed first time (the shame of it)and between then and retest I bought a cheap 125 Trail bike to practice on, it realy did help.
On the subject of what to buy when you pass I was lucky enough to borrow a couple of mates bikes to road test before I bought. 1 was a Honda CBR 600, it's everything described above, a pussycat to ride around at low revs however @ about 7,000 rpm it takes off for the horizon @ a rate of knots! Beware, it will become adictive.
The motorway seems like the best route to work now but when you get a bike you will go out of your way to find ever more chalenging and entertaining routes, the journey will become an end in itself, I know you don't believe me now, but it will...
Beware of biker subculture. I borrowed a Yamaha cruiser which I thought (wrongly it transpired)was cool, aparently the "brotherhood" of bikers (read that as acountants on brand new R1s) excludes certain "styles". it may not be an issue with you, but then again it might.
Finaly remember. You have to take a seperate test to get a bike licence, however if you foul up big time on your lovely new bike (warp speed is soooo easy to achieve)to the extent that you endanger your licence then you don't just lose your bike licence.....you lose the lot. ( hardly seems fair !)
Oh yeah, I bought a 600 Bandit. It scratches the itch o.k.
Old 20 June 2000, 08:07 AM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Cheers John/all ...

great advice, thanks all .... like I said I'm gonna get my holls out of the way then .....

but hang on a minute .... a 125, can you still drive a 125 on L plates ?? and for how long ?? do you still need the cbt thingie ??

even more question now !!

K
Old 20 June 2000, 08:59 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

You can still ride 125cc on 'L' plates, however you will need to take CBT - this generally takes a day and is very easy, and worthwhile if you haven't ridden before.
But you won't be able to take it on motorway on l plates. CBT certificate valid for 2 years, then if you haven't taken test you lose entitlement for a year, before retaking CBT.
bEst advice is to buy Which Bike and read stuff in the back - it's all there.
Charles
Old 20 June 2000, 09:15 AM
Kev
Scooby Regular

chuckster ..

I just might go and get the mag ... I had a bloke in the office this am explaining the rules ...... or trying ... it was like trying to explain the off-side rule

But I'll get the cbt done then get a bit of experience on a 125 then go for the test me thinks, as I'll be a bit rusty ..... it's been that long ...

cheers
K
Old 20 June 2000, 09:20 AM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

ernie,

What you often find is that the course fee includes as many re-takes as it takes you to get through so hopefully it shouldn't cost you any more than the fee to get your license.

Cheers

Richard
Old 20 June 2000, 10:24 AM
NickF
Scooby Regular

John,

'accountants on brand-new R1s'?

That's obviously completely different to IT professionals in brand-new P1s!

Nick
(accountant with nowhere-near-new track-modified Bros 650)

PS Cruisers really are terrible machines though, they corner and perform worse than a 30 year-old Britbike AND they look tragic.
Old 20 June 2000, 10:07 PM
WALKER
Scooby Regular

Wink

Kev

Get youself down to Motorcycle City in Tamworth (A5). they will point you in the right direction.
Glad to hear your keeping the Scooby, couldn`t imagine organising another meet on ya `ped

later

Paul
Old 21 June 2000, 12:01 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

Just to ease your confusion you can do an instant access course (assuming you're over 21). You do the CBT, learn on suitably (under)powered 500's and do your test. They provide the bikes. Takes 5 days usually. Magazines like Ride are full of people advertising such courses. My brother and I both used CSM who seemed pretty good.

Assuming you pass, the world's your lobster, you can order your R1 if you want. The cost of the course will probably be chaper than the depreciation on buying a learner bike.

I would still recommend my previous selection for a novice i.e. CBR6, 2nd hand Bandit, Fazer, Hornet. They are all reasonably learner friendly, but should last you a few years once your confidence grows.

If you're over 30, insurance shouldn't be too bad, don't know about under, have no experience.

Hope this helps

Simon
Old 22 June 2000, 08:09 AM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Paul,

I forgot you used to be into bikes ..... we will have to have a chat at the "Rose" in a week or 2 !!

K
Old 22 June 2000, 12:31 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can also take your CBT and then do a full test on a 125cc moped (er sorry motorbike) this then enables you to ride anything with <=33 bhp for 2 years (bearing in mind a UK standard 125cc has about 12bhp). After the 2 year limit "expires" you can jump on an R1 (if you can afford the insurance!). The advantage of this is simple - if you don't intend to own a bike over 33hp for 2 years then it's easier to take the test on a nice easy to ride 125. Not sure what the implications are on the insurance side; although they ask you what kind of licence you have when you obtain a quote.
Old 22 June 2000, 06:42 PM
Nightmare
Scooby Regular

Kev,

I have to agree with AndyP a bit here....

You have to do the CBT, then direct access - thats all you need to know. CBT allows you to ride up to a 125, on L plates. You have to take the direct access within 3 years. You can then ride anything you like (as you're over 21) - including a 125 still if you like. I think you could then take it on a motorway (is it just L plates which say you cant?) but I wouldnt recommend it personally...

With regards to what Andy said - if I were you, I would do the condensed course, but then buy a 250 ( i know you said a 600) and PRACTICE..cos a) riding a bike is more dangerous than driving a car. Any other biker feel free to argue if you like b) they aint cheap if you drop them. No-one really wants a 250, so you can get one for about 300 quid. The problem with 125s, is that cos everyone under 21 has to use them for practice they're still the best part of a grand to buy in decent condition, and they've usually had about 300 lunatic owners (I know I was )

After a bit of practice, then buy something bigger and more fun. In the long run I would spend more on kit than the bike to start with. I saw someone last weekend whos feet were on the wrong way round and whos arm was about 300 feet from his body...he'd been riding in jeans, normal boots and a plastic jacket......makes you think

saying that.. Bikes are great fun - more so than most cars can ever offer!

cheers
Night

p.s John Parker - you're so right about 'the new bikers' - damn funny!!
Old 23 June 2000, 09:30 AM
dewi
Scooby Regular

Richard Burns has a Peugeot scooter. I saw him on it at the Goodwood Festival of Speed last year. I seem to remember it was painted a similar shade of blue to the rally car and had