Sponsored by:

Uk scoob choice help

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2004, 07:26 PM
RR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uk scoob choice help

Scoob buying help, I dont want an import, or a UK wrx sti. Which uk scoob is the best between the Terzo, RB5, Uk300, Bugeye's or a 03/04 uk wrx as a tuning venture. Does one have a better spec than another ie, does one have brembo's as stnd, superior suspension as stnd. Is there one which has a greater potential for bhp tuning Larger turbo as stnd, larger Intercooler. I know there are a lot of variable's. I am just hoping someone with a good overall knowledge of scoob models can help.
Old 23 March 2004, 01:26 PM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

It's swings and roudabouts really.

The early 93 -96 UKs have bigger turbo but smaller intercooler and crap brakes and only ok suspension.

The Terzo will have the same crap brakes but a smaller turbo but bigger intercooler

The RB5 is a better car but you'll pay for it. It still also has the small turbo.

The later 01- cars are much better screwed together and apart from having the smaller turbo still, are much better as a starting point and will be more refined to boot. Chassis is stiffer, brakes are better etc etc. but arguable they still don't quite have the soul of the classic.

Horses for courses I suppose
Old 23 March 2004, 01:46 PM
M3 NVH
Scooby Newbie

Nothing wrong with the UK STi m8. Brembo's as std, 6 speed, quality seats, good interior and plenty of horses. What more could you want from a std uk scoob???
Old 23 March 2004, 03:05 PM
RR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by M3 NVH
Nothing wrong with the UK STi m8. Brembo's as std, 6 speed, quality seats, good interior and plenty of horses. What more could you want from a std uk scoob???
Stnd form 261bhp but the car weighs 1480kgs i have been told. Just weighing up options. Anyone know which Import sti weighs the least, and which is the best for tuning. I have heard some import sti's are easier to tune than others?. Also will a tuned UK sti car make the same power as a tuned import sti?
Old 23 March 2004, 03:42 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

If you're going classic & intend to tune it heavilly, then just get the boggo standard Turbo. Save a few £££ on a badge and some bling. The same really goes for the MY01+ WRXs, a UK300 being just a blingier version.

My99/00 is arguably the best starting point in the classic range.
Old 23 March 2004, 04:43 PM
greg.g
Scooby Regular

Location: Faster than a quickshift.... get yourself a bionic arm ;)

As Puff said, the MY99/00 would be a good starting point...
Re-mapable using tek2/3 software, 4 pot brakes and not as heavy as the bug eye models.
Old 23 March 2004, 05:05 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe a good place to start is a standard MY01-2 WRX bugeye...

they seem pretty cheap at the moment and well screwed together. Mappers seem to have them sorted and there's lots of bits (Godspeed brakes, headers, de-cats, front entry TD05 / 06 /20g for example) available.

All IMHO

Midlife.....
Old 23 March 2004, 06:13 PM
RR
Scooby Regular

I like the look of the classic models, and the 03/04's with the non bug eyes. To take these cars to 350-400bhp what would be required if it is possible. I have heard that the newer 03/04 car are making 240-255bhp with just about no mods.

Is it easier to tune the sti models to high bhp's than the normal scoobs. I.e are the sti models a better starting block. And is there any model from the sti range which is better for tuning than the rest.
Old 23 March 2004, 06:45 PM
papascooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RR
I have heard that the newer 03/04 car are making 240-255bhp with just about no mods.
What are these 'just about no mods' ?
Old 23 March 2004, 07:38 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RR
I like the look of the classic models, and the 03/04's with the non bug eyes.
Classic shape car will give you more real-world performance per buck, due principally to being a lot lighter than the new shape cars. Bugeyes are worst in this respect, Blobeye 03/04 car went on a bit of a diet but is still porkier than ideal.

To take these cars to 350-400bhp what would be required if it is possible.
Biggest issue with looking for this sort of power on either a classic or a newer shape WRX would be the gearbox, which tends to get a bit flaky if you bung lots of torque through it. Six speeder in the STi's seems able to handle a fair bit more without complaining.

I have heard that the newer 03/04 car are making 240-255bhp with just about no mods.
That does seem to be the case, yes.

Is it easier to tune the sti models to high bhp's than the normal scoobs. I.e are the sti models a better starting block.
Yes. STi Type UK's come with a bigger, better turbo than the WRX and classic shape Turbo 2000's, while the engine itself has variable valve timing among other changes. Still, this is slightly a moot point, innit, as you said up top you didn't want an STi...

And is there any model from the sti range which is better for tuning than the rest.
If you're talking about a Type UK or the all but identical European import equivalent, they're all the same basic spec. An MY03 or MY04 car would be a slightly better bet than the bugeyed MY02 due to being a tad lighter, but as a base for modification they're all much of a muchness.
Old 23 March 2004, 09:21 PM
RR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greasemonkey
Classic shape car will give you more real-world performance per buck, due principally to being a lot lighter than the new shape cars. Bugeyes are worst in this respect, Blobeye 03/04 car went on a bit of a diet but is still porkier than ideal.

Biggest issue with looking for this sort of power on either a classic or a newer shape WRX would be the gearbox, which tends to get a bit flaky if you bung lots of torque through it. Six speeder in the STi's seems able to handle a fair bit more without complaining.

That does seem to be the case, yes.

Yes. STi Type UK's come with a bigger, better turbo than the WRX and classic shape Turbo 2000's, while the engine itself has variable valve timing among other changes. Still, this is slightly a moot point, innit, as you said up top you didn't want an STi...

If you're talking about a Type UK or the all but identical European import equivalent, they're all the same basic spec. An MY03 or MY04 car would be a slightly better bet than the bugeyed MY02 due to being a tad lighter, but as a base for modification they're all much of a muchness.
Just the answers i was looking for cheers, i would buy an import sti but it is new to me and i have never bought an import, but i guess theres a first time for everything. Which is the best import model type r, type ra, or another import for high bhp modding.
Old 23 March 2004, 10:11 PM
mozza1
Scooby Newbie

STI scoob, Right im new into scoobies myself. Didnt know a thing a few months back although had a decent knowledge about cars and turbos in general.

I had the decision like yourself, uk or import.......after much research I decided to go jap. If your going classic then you have no option really than go Jap if your looking for 'big' power. Ok there will be people on here with Uk cars that have 350-400bhp, yer it can be achieved but ul need to spend a fortune to get it like that. A V5-V6 sti is 294bhp(300ps) out of the box on 100ron.

The jap spec classics also have added equipment, rear wash wipe, better interior?, climate, and then all the STI extras, which there are alot of.

Best thing to do is test drive a few. UK turbo was abit of a letdown for me after owning previous fast cars.

There are loads of variants to jap specs though, and make sure the previous owner has either had a remap to run on uk fuel or used octane booster, a few jap cars I looked at, the owners didnt know about the 100 ron setup. The worrying fact is, most ppl dont, its mainly the enthusiasts that have the best knowledge.

Variants - standard STI - V5, thats what I have. Its the 4 door model, mongoose exhaust with downpipe, decat middle and manifold, uprated oil and fuel pumps(safety), Fse fuel reg, piperx filter, BR developments link ecu, would say its in the region of 320bhp. I have a graph for 311bhp before the ecu was fitted. Raced my m8s P1(standard apart from downpipe and filter) and beats him in every gear.

Then you have RA version, shorter gearbox but maybe too short?, DCCD etc, lighter car, but same engine as above
LTd's etc, aint too sure about all these but I think the Ltds have the longer 5th gear????

the KING of the Imprezas!!!!!! IMO - STi V5 type r!!!! (2 door coupe)

This is the daddy, stupidly fast accleration, has a very short gearbox plus is a light car. Much better than a P1 and cheaper too

Thinking of changing mine in the summer for one of these.

I use my every day for an 80 mile round trip and average 24 to a gallon, alot of m'way. prob more like 20-22 around town which aint bad.

IMO - Go Jap you wont look back
Bear in mind though - Higher insurance, im 22 and paying 1900!, get the ECU sorted if you do have one, using octane booster all the time will empty ya wallet, look out for dodgy ones, there are alot out there, try and get one with Full UK service history.

Thats my 2 ps worth.
Old 23 March 2004, 10:45 PM
RR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mozza1
STI scoob, Right im new into scoobies myself. Didnt know a thing a few months back although had a decent knowledge about cars and turbos in general.

I had the decision like yourself, uk or import.......after much research I decided to go jap. If your going classic then you have no option really than go Jap if your looking for 'big' power. Ok there will be people on here with Uk cars that have 350-400bhp, yer it can be achieved but ul need to spend a fortune to get it like that. A V5-V6 sti is 294bhp(300ps) out of the box on 100ron.

The jap spec classics also have added equipment, rear wash wipe, better interior?, climate, and then all the STI extras, which there are alot of.

Best thing to do is test drive a few. UK turbo was abit of a letdown for me after owning previous fast cars.

There are loads of variants to jap specs though, and make sure the previous owner has either had a remap to run on uk fuel or used octane booster, a few jap cars I looked at, the owners didnt know about the 100 ron setup. The worrying fact is, most ppl dont, its mainly the enthusiasts that have the best knowledge.

Variants - standard STI - V5, thats what I have. Its the 4 door model, mongoose exhaust with downpipe, decat middle and manifold, uprated oil and fuel pumps(safety), Fse fuel reg, piperx filter, BR developments link ecu, would say its in the region of 320bhp. I have a graph for 311bhp before the ecu was fitted. Raced my m8s P1(standard apart from downpipe and filter) and beats him in every gear.

Then you have RA version, shorter gearbox but maybe too short?, DCCD etc, lighter car, but same engine as above
LTd's etc, aint too sure about all these but I think the Ltds have the longer 5th gear????

the KING of the Imprezas!!!!!! IMO - STi V5 type r!!!! (2 door coupe)

This is the daddy, stupidly fast accleration, has a very short gearbox plus is a light car. Much better than a P1 and cheaper too

Thinking of changing mine in the summer for one of these.

I use my every day for an 80 mile round trip and average 24 to a gallon, alot of m'way. prob more like 20-22 around town which aint bad.

IMO - Go Jap you wont look back
Bear in mind though - Higher insurance, im 22 and paying 1900!, get the ECU sorted if you do have one, using octane booster all the time will empty ya wallet, look out for dodgy ones, there are alot out there, try and get one with Full UK service history.

Thats my 2 ps worth.
Thanks for the great info m8. sti v5 type r 2 door will have a look around for one. Cheers
Old 24 March 2004, 07:37 PM
Ninnybobs
Scooby Regular

RR,
You have PM

Martin
Old 24 March 2004, 07:40 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

I would suggest an sti5 (pref type r/ra) or a uk sti7 (my02 wrx sti)
Old 28 March 2004, 04:43 PM
RR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Edcase
I would suggest an sti5 (pref type r/ra) or a uk sti7 (my02 wrx sti)
Thanks for all the good info, i am looking at diff models at the moment. Thanks to all who posted.
Old 28 March 2004, 04:55 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends what your after and what price your willing to pay but for compromise and tuning ability you cannot beat the new shape JDM cars, the MY03 STi (JDM) is very tunable, 350bhp isnt a problem on standard internals, you probably need to change a few parts of the exhaust and get it remapped, thats about it
You also have the Spec C, this is THE quickest impreza produced to date, its not to everyones taste though as its quite harsh and you dont get much except a steering wheel and brembo brakes (plus quick rack and A-DCCD), no electric anything or central locking (the plus side to the JDM new age cars is that they are considerably better than the classics in both build quality and mechanical quality).

Tony