Potential new owner needs some advice

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2004, 11:53 AM
Stevei101
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential new owner needs some advice

Hi all
I’ve wanted a Subaru for some years now and at last am (so so nearly) in a position to go out and buy. What I want is an Impreza WRX.
I do have a pretty good budget and could buy new but I want to get the best deal I can.
Can someone advise me of where I should look for the best available prices for either new or very nearly new? By that I mean I don’t really want anything more than a year old.
If I buy new, can I get an import and does this have any problems entailed with it, IE. Insurance? Any suggestions on what companies I should avoid or consider?

I’ve read that many insurers will not even look at you if you do not have a tracker, and in any case I shall get one fitted. Any recommendations?
Thanks for any help and advice. I’m sure I’ll have more questions.
I would have searched for this info but it seems to be out of action at the moment.
Old 16 March 2004, 12:01 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

I am in a similar boat - apparently places like motorpoint are not worth using as their cars are from Cyprus and are lower spec and not undersealed?
Old 16 March 2004, 12:12 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A major consideration will be insurance - jap imports often cost a lot more to insure. For recommendations have a browse through the Insurance section on this forum. Names like Liverpool Victoria, Andrian Flux, Greenlight, Tesco, and others are frequently recommended. They don't all require trackers.

If you do decide on an import check out Litchfield Imports as they prep cars ready for UK roads and UK fuel.

Have a look on the Subaru web site for dealers stock lists as they tend to have nearly new cars. Prob less nearly new available privately. Be prepared to bargain with a dealer though as they do tend to be a little ambitious with prices of nearly new cars.

Don't know about spec of cars from Cypress, but undeseal can be done very easily and cheaply. Warranty is your main concern.
Old 16 March 2004, 12:15 PM
Stevei101
Scooby Newbie

having a browse through this site I cam across this.
http://www.motorsolutionswithmakro.c...2.asp?CID=5318

£14,539.....

I nearly colapsed.

But I expect that I would need so many hidden extras. Can these places be trusted ?

I'm just off to look at the site you suggest
Old 16 March 2004, 12:15 PM
pblakeway
Scooby Regular

but isnt cyprus now/going to be part of the EU which means that Subaru have to honour the warranty ?
Old 16 March 2004, 12:44 PM
Stevei101
Scooby Newbie

Hmmmm, can't say that I want an underrated car. What I do want is the best for my money. This may mean getting a nearly new. I know this may be a daft question but whenn you say you can often bargin with a dealer do you have any guide to how much ?
Old 16 March 2004, 01:05 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Get a price from www.tins.co.uk which should be around £18.5k (inc. metallic) and present that to your local dealer. Make him aware that you are also speaking to the other dealers in the area, so you're not easy meat. If they aren't cooperative, there's a friendly dealer in Derby . You should easilly be able to get that price and maybe some extras, but the PPP is rarely discounted as it's a must have (unless you aren't too bothered about warranties). The EU import scene has floundered due to the €/£ exchange rate, and the 03 UK price reductions. Jap imports are best left to the knowlegable IMHO.

On the 2nd hand side, I recently got my MY03 WRX PPP inc.Tracker (so a list of £22k) for £16.3k. There are a few coming up for sale, but you'll have to watch out for them like a hawk and be prepared to move quick. When I went to see mine there were 4 others due the next day to view it. 2nd hand EU imports should go for around £15k, UK for £15.5k and PPP's for £16.5k. Keep an eye in the For Sale section on here, as there's more chance of them being looked after well (watch for high post count on seller).

Good luck.

Trending Topics

Old 16 March 2004, 02:16 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't want to mislead you with a generalisation of how flexible the sticker prices are. Easy to find out though. Just call as many dealers as you can with your requirements and take the best offer as a starting point for negotiations with the rest. You'll know when they've reached their lowest price by leaving things at that point. If they can go any lower, they will contact you.
Old 16 March 2004, 04:18 PM
papascooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I payed £18,600 for a UK MY04 WRX from a Subaru UK dealer
Old 16 March 2004, 04:50 PM
Rog Ford
Scooby Regular

Default It's a bug-eye

That £14.5K WRX - the picture shows a Bug-Eye (2001/2002) model - which would explain why it's so cheap. Good price, even so!
Old 16 March 2004, 09:17 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Don't forget that this time last year dealers were offering BIG reductions on the outgoing bug eye WRX. Prices dropped by around £3k didn't they?
Old 16 March 2004, 09:43 PM
IanA
Scooby Regular

Imports are more expensive to insure, ot the quotes I've had it's around 20-30% more. You'll get a higher spec car and a nicer interior though. Directline actually quote for imports on their online thingy so you could try a few comparisons on there. They insist on a tracking device. I know that the import guy near me fits RAC Trackstar and you used to be able to get 3 years 0% finance on it (about £23 a month if I remember rightly).

I think I'm right in saying that a Japanese import will also not have the same level of undersealing as a UK car. If buying a seconhand one it would be worth checking if the importer put more on before it was sold.

Have fun!
Old 17 March 2004, 09:56 AM
Stevei101
Scooby Newbie

The best price I have found so far on a new WRX is the 14,359 stated earlier in this post, which is quite an amazing price. I can't say that I mind the bug eye, In fact I rather like it, 2001/2002 or not as long as the car is new. Can anyone point me to the cars spec or is it the same as the 2.0 WRX available at the present ?
Now, on the basis that if something sounds to good to be true, then you probably shouldn't touch it, can anyone tell me what I should be looking out for here.

From what I have picked up from this BBS at the moment I have.
1) Where was it manufactured?
2) Will it affect my insurance?
3) Do I have the full warranty?

and......
Old 28 April 2004, 05:44 PM
chrisjevans
Scooby Regular

The price in Makro looks like a good deal at first until you read the small print and see that it's excluding VAT then the price is over 17K.
Old 28 April 2004, 06:07 PM
Nog
Scooby Regular

Wink

Steve -> One thing to consider is that if you buy a new WRX now (before June - check the subaru web site???), you'll get 3 years free servicing.

Just another dimension......
Old 28 April 2004, 06:14 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stevei101
The best price I have found so far on a new WRX is the 14,359 stated earlier in this post, which is quite an amazing price.
Nowhere near as amazing when you add VAT on.

I can't say that I mind the bug eye, In fact I rather like it, 2001/2002 or not as long as the car is new.
The Makro page you have quoted is confusing. As stated they have pictured a 2001 or 2002 model year car. Thus, either the picture is incorrect, or, if it's accurate, they are trying to sell cars that have been parked up in a field for at least eighteen months, and are far from latest specification. While you may personally like the bugeye appearance, the newer shape cars are nicer to drive and have considerably better residual values, something you need to factor into your purchasing decision.

Can anyone point me to the cars spec or is it the same as the 2.0 WRX available at the present ?
The more recent 2003/2004MY WRX's are quicker and have a number of other tweaks.

Now, on the basis that if something sounds to good to be true, then you probably shouldn't touch it, can anyone tell me what I should be looking out for here.
In this case you should verify the model year of the car Makro are offering as £17K plus for a bugeye of questionable origin and with questionable warranty is not a good deal.

From what I have picked up from this BBS at the moment I have.
1) Where was it manufactured?
Not quite. They're all manufacturered at Fuji Heavy Industries' factory in Japan. The important issue is whether the cars are meant for the UK market (and are thus imported by the official UK Subaru concessionaire, International Motors), whether they're meant for European Union countries (and are thus grey imports here), or whether they were originally destined for non-EU territories like Malta or Cyprus. The specification of the cars can differ, and so can the warranty it will be supplied with.

2) Will it affect my insurance?
Your insurance may well be affected by the source market of the car. Some insurers will count EU and non-EU cars as imports, and hike your premium accordingly.

3) Do I have the full warranty?
Indeed.