New Legacy GT spec B

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2004, 08:19 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Legacy GT spec B

Anyone got one or driven one??

I've been out in the 3.0R today and was mightly impressed, so i am assuming the GT spec B will be awesome. I would like some feed back and a test drive in one before i commit to buying one. Come on someone must have one.

Are there any good leggy forums??
Old 26 April 2004, 10:05 PM
S@m
Scooby Regular

try here

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/legacyb4/

Mark
Old 27 April 2004, 08:25 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Default In JDM terms...

Then there are people like me who had one (only reason I don't have it still is due to the "agreement" under which I had the car - I loved it to bits).

The spec B is a serious up step in suspension and tyres. Handling is on a much higher plain, but so is the NVH. It may not be hard from your point of view, and not as extreme as an STi for example, but the spec is much stiffer than the 3.0R IMHO (which AFAIK in the UK/Europe gets the better rubber of the spec B, but I cannot confirm that).

I personally prefer the spec B for its high grip RE050s (vs the 050As of the 17" models), sharp turn in, and relatively roll free handling. Some people have commented negatively on the stiffness of the spec B causing some jiggle at lower speeds on poor road surfaces. The spec B is not for those looking for a waft mobile IMHO, but what is spot on vs. too stiff is obviously up to individual tastes.

Also, don't forget that the spec B is endowed with short gearing for high performance, while the GT gets taller gearing (and better fuel economy as a result). When it comes to performance I think the turbo is simply better most of the time - the twinscroll hits very hard, very low down, and the car is a bit of rocketship in a sheep skin

Check out www.apexjapan.com for some extended reports on the various models. Also http://www.legacysti.com/index.php for more info.

Cheers

Last edited by AJbaseBloke; 27 April 2004 at 08:31 AM. Reason: oops
Old 27 April 2004, 08:32 AM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the info.

I currently have a wrx bugeye but want something less obvious (and more wife pleasing), how would you compare the GT B to a WRX?
Old 27 April 2004, 06:40 PM
Tentenths
Scooby Regular

If you want to try one (GTB) I know that David Hendrys has/had a demonstrator - take a look at www.dhcars.co.uk
Old 27 April 2004, 08:50 PM
Catherine
Scooby Regular

tentenths is right, the dealer he has mentioned have a metallic red GTB (It's on their website) and I have seen it in the metal and it does look a bit tasty.

My recomendation (purely my own opinion) and for what it is worth, is to tgo and buy from an alternative importer, as there is something lacking in that establishment. (Hope that doesn't get scrubbed by a Mod)
Old 28 April 2004, 08:05 AM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Tentenths]If you want to try one (GTB) I know that David Hendrys has/had a demonstrator - take a look at www.dhcars.co.uk[/QUOTE]

cheers, test drive booked for next week
Old 28 April 2004, 08:49 AM
Tentenths
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by austen_wrx
cheers, test drive booked for next week
Enjoy.... and do let us know how you get on.
Old 28 April 2004, 08:58 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Compare with a WRX? Are you tyring to get me in trouble?

Erm, the GT spec B may be a touch quicker? Ride is fairly taught, turn in/steering feel in a different part of the footy pitch (if I said league I'd be in trouble I bet). And then there are the brakes, while not perfect... well, let's just say they are pretty darn good

Have fun testing it - just make sure you don't take a pen or your life may be signed away

Cheers

PS Warning, I may be just a bit biased But I think you may find I am right on a few things
Old 28 April 2004, 11:58 AM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AJbaseBloke
Compare with a WRX? Are you tyring to get me in trouble?

Erm, the GT spec B may be a touch quicker? Ride is fairly taught, turn in/steering feel in a different part of the footy pitch (if I said league I'd be in trouble I bet). And then there are the brakes, while not perfect... well, let's just say they are pretty darn good

Have fun testing it - just make sure you don't take a pen or your life may be signed away

Cheers

PS Warning, I may be just a bit biased But I think you may find I am right on a few things
I'm getting excited now!!!
Old 28 April 2004, 06:43 PM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Hope you like it as much as I do. The new gen steering really makes a difference IMHO.

Anyway, let us know how you go.

And don't forget to go in with low expectations

Cheers