Sponsored by:

Ipod and ICE

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2004, 06:03 PM
aggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ipod and ICE

I am putting my Head Unit from my MY96 car (about to be sold) into MY2000 but instead of re-fitting the 10CD multi-changer thought would buy an Ipod and play musin via Ipod instead of CD changer via the Stereo. Has anyone done this yet?
I saw on a web site that this is done can be done a variety of ways, via tape adapter which does not "sound" very advanced, but also via an adapter fitted to the Ipod,which plays music as a FM radio channel which the head unit picks up and plays the tunes,This sounds more like it, but thought if anyone out there has done it yet.
Please advise.
Old 11 March 2004, 07:54 PM
green my99
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aggs,

The tape adapter might be the better bet. While it might not be aesthetically pleasing, I suspect you'll get better sound. The best of the FM transmitters is probably the iTrip, as it allows you to transmit on a wide range of frequencies (A number of them only have 4 preset frequencies, and if these are taken by local stations, then they are useless). The problem I have found with the FM transmitters is that when you have just got the frequency right for one area, you drive into another area and a station that you were not receiving before starts to interfere with the frequency that you have finally settled on.

Denison is starting to supply adapters which allow you to play the iPod directly through the head unit, via the CD changer controls, and control it through its controls (http://densionusa.com/icelink/). I'm not sure of the availability of these in Britain yet. Unfortunately the range of head units supported is fairly small so far, but it might be worth you checking it out in case yours is compatible – it would be the best solution by far.

Hope this is of some help.