Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Day of the cheap 5dr?

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2000, 10:48 PM
dean-
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heres a question for all you Quentin Wilson types.

Given the current climate and the forthcoming new shape impreza, what discount should I get for a new 5dr at this moment in time? There are plenty out there and both dealers that I have briefly chatted to are allready talking "money off list price".

How times have changed.

Dean.
Old 15 June 2000, 11:30 PM
Reza
Scooby Regular

I still think it's best to wait a couple of weeks before buying anything.

You will get a discount now judging by the reaction of some dealers we've spoken to recently, as they have subtely indicated that they may get orders from Subaru UK or IM to drop the prices substantially i.e to euro import levels (£16-17K), in order to sell off the remaining 2000 model turbos.

In all I think buying one of these last models and running it for 6 months before selling it would not see a bad drop in residual value (in light of having paid less for the car in the first place). You could then go and buy the new model if it's any good.
Old 16 June 2000, 09:17 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Hi Simes,

Insurance companies twichy? I only found one that would not quote me (out of around 30), and that was due to stupidity on the part of the person on the other end of the phone. "Import? Must be an STI or WRX"...

Different setup: I was worried about this until the car actually turned up and had been given the once-over by my local garage. Do you really think they'll stop a production line and say, "Hang on, it's a UK spec car but it's going to holland, so we'll just change the suspension, bushes, whatever".

Time: two days under five months for delivery. Not too bad. However, orders for MY00 stopped around March time.

Alarm: I'd rather have something fitted in a non-standard way. Know one UK impreza's alarm, you know 'em all...

Second hand value: who knows? People will buy it if it's cheap enough. Mine isn't for sale, and won't be for a while

Warranty: dealer has done some warranty work with no problems... Only one year tho.

Ripped off: understandable concern that is now somewhat mitigated. The importingimprezas group now has over 200 people, and I'd guess that the number of people who have ordered and received cars is coming up to 100. The same names of Dutch (and Belgian) dealers keep coming up, so there's a good level of confidence in them.

I wonder, being a cynic, if the "important" announcement is that IM will be responsible for delivering RHD cars to the continent... This was a rumour a while ago.

I understand the "risk averse" comment, as I am too, but the choice for me was a Scooby on a three year lease with 9K to pay to own, or, for the vast difference in price, pay slightly less a month and own the thing outright...

Enjoy the car . Whatever, it's still a bargain!
Old 16 June 2000, 12:05 PM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

I've also heard a rumour that IM are due to make an "important" announcement on pricing in the UK within the next month or so.

Guess it means I'll get even less for my MY97 when I come to sell it in October ...

Andrew
Old 16 June 2000, 12:07 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

You say that but...

I bought my scoob about a month ago. I did loads of research into importing one and in the end bought a nearly new 5 dr (only 3k) for 19k. It had some extras (A/C, cd changer, boot mat thingy, light covers, mats). Probably saved about 4k on a car that still was unmarked, still smelt new (it's important!) and was exactly the spec I wanted.

The thing that put me off importing one was:

1) The wait ( I wanted one now!)
2) Insurance companies still twitchy on imports
3) Second hand market even twitchier
4) Warranty position seemed unclear
5) The cars were NOT UK spec (e.g. had no alarm fitted as standard). I couldn't find any info on what other differences their would be, I gather that UK cars are set up better for UK roads than Jap versions for example.
6) Scared of being ripped off.

So I felt more comfortable playing safe.

The point is, if you can get discounts on new ones now (couldn't when I was looking, was met with that look), imagine what you could get on a nearly new. And be secure in the knowledge it was properly warrantied, you could insure it without hassle etc. etc.

I suppose it depends on whether you're risk averse, like me or not.

The other advantage of a nearly new, you can have it now
Old 18 June 2000, 11:57 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

Hi chiark

Thanks for the reply, to elucidate on my points:

Insurance: It was what I was told, not experienced, It was a worry, I'm sure you're right that it's not really an issue.

Different setup: Again I'm sure you're right for EC specced cars, I know this is not the case for Jap cars. And you'd be amazed at the myriad of different spec cars there are in Europe. Fact is imported Euro spec are NOT the sames as UK cars, the alarm thing being an example.

Time: See my 1st point!

Alarm: Again I accept your point, however the alarm fitted is Thatcham 1 approved, which has some mileage at least with insurance companies. I'm currently trying to understand whether that's good enough in the real world, cos I'm still relieved to find it still there after parking it up!

Secondhand Value: Who knows, specially after the new model comes out, still think you'll get more for a Bona Fide UK model.

Warrany: I got the balance of the 3 year warranty. Again down to me being risk averse, don't really expect Jap cars to go wrong but I did own a Rover not too long ago, (and never again). The reason I bought my last car new was it was cheaper to buy a new car that keep the Rover going. God I pity the poor sod who's got it now. What a pile of dogs doodoos. If I'd had a decent warranty at least Rover would have paid for it.

Ripped off: I just didn't feel comfortable about giving a deposit to someone when the car's not due for 6 months or whatever and then relying on them staying in business all that time.

All this is not to criticise your post in any way, just to explain my point of view, and I accept totally your reasons.

I guess the point of the post, which re-reading it didn't come across very well, was that If Scoob dealers are discounting new cars there should be some good 2nd hand bargains out there without the worry of importing.

Hope you're enjoying your scoob as much as I am mine, maybe we'll meet at a track day or whatever.

Cheers

Simon

PS Hope this all makes sense, my cat keeps walking over the keyboard!
Old 19 June 2000, 02:23 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Cheers Simes, makes a change to get sensible discussion on this board . Warranty is a worry, especially with the recent spate of short engine replacements that have been done to non-turbos.

I think these two points of view should be required reading for anyone wanting to import, as you highlight all the problems and I think I answer them partly - some people don't want the hassle, and that's understandable.

Trackday sounds likely. Car is superb as it now has 5K on the clock - it's getting faster still...