Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud exhausts really do set off car alarms...

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2004, 12:37 PM
pappasmurf
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud exhausts really do set off car alarms...

....it's not a myth as i keep finding out.
Can be embarrassing setting off two or three in a row of parked cars...

Presently running a full decat with an afterburner Vortex.
Old 03 March 2004, 12:55 PM
CTR
Scooby Regular

Hehe, my old Impreza with just a SS backbox used to set off car alarms. One particular car in the street I used to stay at during the week used to get set off everytime I went past. Sure the owner wasnt amused as I used to leave at 6am every morning. I was trying to be as quiet as possible.
Old 03 March 2004, 12:57 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to do this in my integrale with a group A exhaust with no silencers It was great fun
Old 03 March 2004, 01:01 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Mine does it when I park on the multi-storey at work !

Couldn't get it to do it today though : LOL :

Mark
Old 03 March 2004, 01:08 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

Great fun-my old works 309 Gti had a full rally system and was deafening, people used to jump back from the road/ shake the neighbours windows etc!

still miss it now!
Old 03 March 2004, 01:24 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I used to dream of having a loud exhaust. I'd lay in bed dreaming of that "note" and also having stickers. 5 yrs later I finally hit 17 and bought a Prelude VTEC. The exhaust was very loud.

I then grew up and realised that they suck and are more "Chav-like" than Burberry baseball caps.

"mmmmmmmwwwwwwwooooOOOOAAAAAARRRPPPPPPP.....bbbbbb bbwwwwoooooooOOOOOOAAAAAARPPPPPPPPPPP".

Great.
Old 03 March 2004, 01:29 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

I don't think it's embarrassing. By the time the owner comes out of his house/work you are well away.

Most amusing I think, gives me a chuckle each time. Well its the little things in life isn't it?
Old 03 March 2004, 01:29 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Senior,perhaps it was making the wrong noise because it was sucking - they're meant to blow.....

In any case, Its the frequency that sets off alarms, not the volume.....

Last edited by markwild; 03 March 2004 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03 March 2004, 01:30 PM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

lolol u only just noticed this pmsl

nothing like a 6am drive down a street with parked cars either side, drop down a cog, plant it and WAKEY WAKEY

he he
Old 03 March 2004, 01:42 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Keep taking the bait boys....

The louder the better eh. No wonder Imprezas are now labelled "Chav's dream". The ultimate in Kappa spotswear accesories. Max Power/Revs/Fast car icons.

Shame, cos they actually are decent motors.

"energy cannot be created, it can only be transferred". So, loud exhausts will actually slow you down.
Old 03 March 2004, 01:49 PM
Simon Lau
Scooby Regular

Miniman, that's rather naughty but I've done it the once in car park...so guilty as charged
Old 03 March 2004, 01:51 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Mate, its 'sportswear', not 'spotswear' and 'accessories' not 'accesories'.

Also, try not to use the same put down in two consecutive threads of your own - i.e. references to 'Chav'.

I think that you'll find that energy not converted to noise can easily be attributed to heat or backpressure in a quiet exhaust ---

Of course, I'm just being pedantic here, as I don't agree that 'loud is good' either !

Nothing worse than hearing 1.1 litre boy/girl 'fracturing' past

Mark
Old 03 March 2004, 02:03 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

....a few minor spelling mistakes as I am at work, so I type, post and go....Sorry. :-0

"Chav" or "Scally" is a very broad term that encapsulats (or is that encapsulates?) the **** on this post/entire site that think its cool to wake people up and generally p!ss people off by thrapping around with cars that sound more like generators. Loud is not cool. It is frowned upon at track days and is frowned upon by normal people. Its cool and exciting when you're 15 and I let them people off as:

1. I was the same. And....

2. Cars are a new experience and they wanna get seen and heard with their new pride & joy. Fair enough.

Scoobynet has turned from a sight "for Impreza enthusiasts" to a site "for random nonsense bollox conversation".

Now where did I leave that Burberry catalogue?? Ahh there it is, next to my Reebok classics and my yearly subscription to Revs.
Old 03 March 2004, 02:26 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

quote 'Now where did I leave that Burberry catalogue?? Ahh there it is, next to my Reebok classics and my yearly subscription to Revs.' - LOL

Don't let it / them / me wind you up - It takes all sorts and I'm glad we're all different...

I'm sure there's plenty of 'useful' chat on here as well as 'fun conversation', so live and let live I say....

Mark - (Whose daughter's boyfriend subscribes to REVS !! )

Last edited by markwild; 03 March 2004 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03 March 2004, 02:34 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Fun is cool. I just had enough of loud exhausts and so forth. They give everyone else (genuine enthusiasts) a bad name.

Also, when I want a Big Mac meal I have to drive though randomly parked boy-racers (wheels at an angle, parked over 2 spaces, bonnet open....for some reason) just to get to 'Window 1' at my local McDonads drive thru!!!

Peco big bore 4s' should be made illegal.

P.S. ~ Have words with your daughters bloke!! Revs?!?!?!?!?!? I suppose there are a few reasonable girls in there - if not......somewhat.....err.......Chavvy!! ****, said it again.

Nice one Mark. ;-)
Old 03 March 2004, 02:42 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

err - PHAT !

(Whatever the .... that's supposed to mean !)

I'll take your word on the REVS contents - Never been able to force myself to 'read' it...

Oh to be <20 again - (No thanks!)

Cheers,

Mark
Old 03 March 2004, 02:54 PM
little_idiot
Scooby Regular

"energy cannot be created, it can only be transferred". So, loud exhausts will actually slow you down

I hope this was a daft comment otherwise my entire knowledge of physics is flawed! The explosion in the engine creates the noise, heat, kinetic energy etc, the silencer in the exhaust quietens it down.

Plus impreza engines sound awesome with an exhaust that does it justice, it's streets apart from a 1 litre Nova with a dustbin exhaust that makes the same noise all the way through the rev range

just my tupence

James
Old 03 March 2004, 04:53 PM
v5 man
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hehehe

40 something f`off loud imprezas cruising round London on sunday was just awesome and a sight to see. loud and proud was the motto im affraid

just because your getting older Mr senior AP, doesnt make you right

Cliff (full de-cat, Blitz NUR spec and a whole loada noise)
Old 03 March 2004, 05:15 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

senior ap, you might be suprised to learn that my bpm twister, 3" full decat, making a very loud 118 decibels at 12 feet away, on full boost, off a rolling road, with a hks panel filter on a standard uk turbo, is pulling 255 bhp, and 259 lb ft!
Not bad for a loud exhuast really is it? (tsl downpipe as well)
You may be even more surprised to hear that one Bob Rawle, he of mapping god fame, is actually running a prototype exhaust from a major manufaturer, that on the same day I did my run on the rollers, his exhaust produced 115 decibels at full boost!
This was a guy with his special edition Noel Edmunds jumper on :0
So, the loud exhaust probably will give you more power, not less!
The loudest on the day was 122 decibels by the way! See 22b.com for the thread at prosport in stockport.
chris.
Old 03 March 2004, 06:28 PM
i8gtmf
Scooby Regular

I to run a Blitz Nur Spec and full de-cat set off car alarms no problem
When i had the remap they told me the big **** off exhaust helped my car make the 285 bhp & 276 lbft it was doing with just and exhaust and decat.
If that makes me a Chav i best go out and buy a feckin baseball cap then not sure if that would suit me as i'm well over 30 but i'll try anything once
Old 03 March 2004, 06:33 PM
julian N/W wrx my93
Scooby Regular

hey but my 11 year old shed ran a 262@flywheel and 224@wheels beat yours!!!!!!!
tee hee. only messing. and i've got a loud exhust on it, didn't measure how loud, but it not as loud as some i,ve heard!
Old 04 March 2004, 11:18 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

118 & 122 db you must be so proud! I am glad you are not my Neighbour.

I am really peeved I missed 40 Impreza's "cruzin" around London, I imagine it was a sight to behold.
Old 04 March 2004, 11:31 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

lol - Davyboy!! ;-)

I remember a documentary about Boy-Racers (yes - some had Scoobs). The McDonalds drive-thru mentality of our Scooby enthusiast. Basically a bunch of glorified hooligans that pile all their cash into a car that was once actually quite nice and drive (sorry, cruise) around like idiots. Conversation of "my car is louder than yours" was up their with the likes of "I managed to get 20 inch wheels under those arches with **** loads of arch grinding" ....and... "my windscreen touring car strip is thicker than yours" etc etc.

You'll get a black flag at a track day and the you'll probably get followed by Police. Like Ali-G in da movie, innit.

Cruiz Patrol. Here's an idea - how many of you have subscriptions to "Redline"?? Look at all the brightly coloured loud (...and proud) cars whilst w&nking off to the pictures of all the girls in the magazine?? Those girls that also think the cars they're sprawled across are utterly gross as well. All just so you can get a photo with them at Max Power Live!! Just realised, its in July I think - get your tickets lads!! I heard they've got a db test!! 120db - beat that!!!

Yes, I am getting older. I'm growing up. Loud exhausts must stop when you hit 21. You begin to appreciate worthwhile modifications by then.

(I'm 23 now btw).

Last edited by Senior_AP; 04 March 2004 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04 March 2004, 12:55 PM
little_idiot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Senior_AP
lol - Davyboy!! ;-)

Yes, I am getting older. I'm growing up. Loud exhausts must stop when you hit 21. You begin to appreciate worthwhile modifications by then.

(I'm 23 now btw).
bloody hell, I thought you were about 50 from how you were talking, Senior, do you not feel that your a little old before your time!
Old 04 March 2004, 05:15 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

....err, no. Not really.

4 years of unnecessarily loud exhausts is about enough I think.

Thanks for asking though. ;-)
Old 04 March 2004, 08:14 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

so, senior, after 4 years of unnecessarily loud exhaust, and at the ripe "old" age of 23, you have decided in your infinite wisdom and maturity to dispense with loud exhaust and all things max power?
well done m8, now just wait till your mid thirties, you'll want it all back!

chris
Old 04 March 2004, 08:33 PM
image doctor
Scooby Regular

He does have a point, loud exhausts are a bit

Sporty is ok, loud is plain

Its just a question of education when one becomes the other - maybe we should say anything above 100db is
Old 04 March 2004, 08:40 PM
scoobiestu
Scooby Regular

sorry to say it but everyone has there own opinions i personally like louder exhausts but hey thats me, allthough im 21 i dont wear baseball caps or cruise about as steriotyping would suggest! and for gods sake i hope i dont turn into a moaning so and so when i get to the ripe old age of 23!! my grandad isnt as bad as you and he is 84!
Old 04 March 2004, 09:05 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Some pretentious twoddle on this thread me thinks

Dont spend your life "buying into" ideals, just enjoy what you have, what you do and dont spend all your time worrying about images and stereotypes.

So you dont want a loud exhaust, or any mods because you worry what others will think of you, fair play, but dont ridicule those that want to make that choice.

Just because a few youngsters "max" their cars up and go to MacD's, doesnt mean that everyone who does anything remotely similar belongsto the same group. Everyone is individual, do what you want, try not to upset people and get on with your own life.

A couple of you may spend time moaning about how "Scoobynet was great but is now full of maxers", and if thats the case dont use the site, but no need to look down your noses at everyne else for the choices they make.

I am 30, drive a std 205 GTi (albeit with Mi16), it has a 3" Magnex exhaust on which is louder/deeper than std.

The narrow minded amongst us would lump me in with whatever group is unfavoured at the time, but its just something I enjoy, and dont spend time worrying about it.

Rant over, not sure where that all came from
Old 04 March 2004, 09:08 PM
scoobiestu
Scooby Regular

so true!!

Quick Reply: Loud exhausts really do set off car alarms...