Sponsored by:

Window Tinting

Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2004, 12:26 PM
hally81
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Tinting

I want to get my windows tinted but not sure where the best place to get them done or how much im going to have to pay? and can anyone tell me whats legal n whats not? cheers
Old 02 March 2004, 01:20 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm...tics.transport
Old 02 March 2004, 02:18 PM
sti555
Scooby Regular

mmmmn,

Just don't be daft and have a limo tint

Suppose that article makes sense
Old 02 March 2004, 02:31 PM
bits'n'pieces
Scooby Regular

don't forget about the new regulations regarding light levels which must penetrate your car windows, which come into force in May this year ..... could pay lots of money and then have to take your pimp tints off again if they are too dark....
Old 02 March 2004, 02:33 PM
sti555
Scooby Regular

are these regulations also for the side rears & back??

How dark is a legal tint then??
Old 02 March 2004, 02:36 PM
Mcreedy
Scooby Newbie

Many drivers do not realise that their vision is significantly impaired when looking through tinted glass and are often unaware that heavy tinted glass is illegal
I'm sure if a drivers vision was significantly impaired they would know about it!!
These tints are designed not to see in, not out!!
Absolutely no sence in this new law at all.
The back windows can be as dark as you like but the drivers front and passengers front windows must conform to these new laws?
I use all the windows when I'm making manovers, especialy looking over my sholder, which means looking through the back windows, so why are they not to conform to the new law too?

I heards of a few story's now of police officers stopping drivers with tints to advise them of the new law, with the line,

"Would you drive around with sunglasses on at night"

Well no, becuase you wouldn't be able to see if you drove with sunglasses on at night for starters.

Anyone with a dark tint will know that you can see just as well through it as you can through the through a factory front windscreen.
Tinted windows become less apparent from inside the car at night, you notice the tint much more during the day.
Old 02 March 2004, 02:46 PM
andyr
Scooby Regular

I agree that when you're in a car with tints the light levels that you are getting are mugh higher than the visibilty into the car leads people to believe BUT as a cyclist and motorcyclist especially, when you're approaching a car with dark tints you often have not got a clue if the driver ihas even bothered to look your way or if he's looking in the opposite direction and is busy pickign his nose ! I know someone who works alongside the police and is involved in this and I believe he spoke to one bloke with really dark front windows and when asked how he could see out of them at night he replied " I just wind the windows down " ! Windows THAT dark are not safe IMHO and I have no problem with them been made illegal.

Incidentally, I have heard of some companies offering a 'legal' tint of 30% - that IS legal but what they actually do is
add on a 30% film
to a car that WILL have a tint already (I believe ALL new cars have tinted glass)
Thus making the glass well OVER 30% light restriction : Vectras have 30% tint already I believe so any tint on one of these makes it illegal.
Old 02 March 2004, 03:25 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mcreedy
Anyone with a dark tint will know that you can see just as well through it as you can through the through a factory front windscreen.
Tinted windows become less apparent from inside the car at night, you notice the tint much more during the day.
Can't agree with you there at all. I have a Pajero with very dark tints on side and rear and visibility is reduced a lot. I hate it. But it's not a film so I can't remove them, it's actual dark tinted glass.
Old 02 March 2004, 03:29 PM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

I raised this issue a couple of weeks ago and I think there should be a sticky at the top warning people about this.

The problem is not the police stopping you as you can just get them removed, it is the insurance companies that will screw you if you have an accident. It is the policy holders responsibility to report any changes to their car so if you have tinted windows I would call your insurance company ASAP.

All insurance companies will be changing their policies on tinted windows, most will not touch windows tinted with film and only allow up to 30% on the side windows which is roughly a standard manufacturers level.
Old 02 March 2004, 03:52 PM
Mcreedy
Scooby Newbie

Cheers Redkop, wasn't aware of that, not sure how dark your tinted glass is, but with 60% tints on already tinted Impreza windows, you can still see for miles around at night from the inside, but you can hardley see in during the day and not at all at night.
Old 02 March 2004, 04:57 PM
dave-h
Scooby Regular

Cool

Just renewed insurancewith LV told them about tints did not make a blind bit of differance to premium.
Old 02 March 2004, 05:16 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Cant see sweet FA through mine looking in day or night. Only option I have and I have been doing for a long time - is try and find breakers who has normal coloured glass. Tried everywhere Front and front sides are fine with the tint they have.