Sponsored by:

new scooby owner need help

Search this Thread

Old 01 March 2004, 10:58 PM
tony brad
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new scooby owner need help

two weeks ago i got my scooby,yes,a 1996 wrx sti,ive never owned a turbo car before so i need help on afew things,is the turbo inter cooler meant to get warm,mine was luke warm after 30 mins of fast driving,also i hear a whining sound when i put my foot down.is the k&n 57i induction kit the best to put on,also need to stop ive only standard 2 pot brakes on,know any cheap good brake kits to buy,thanks.
Old 01 March 2004, 11:13 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony brad
two weeks ago i got my scooby,yes,a 1996 wrx sti,ive never owned a turbo car before so i need help on afew things,is the turbo inter cooler meant to get warm,mine was luke warm after 30 mins of fast driving,
That's not particularly unusual. Apart from anything else, it'll start to get heatsoak from the block and turbo as soon as you slow down.

also i hear a whining sound when i put my foot down.
Impossible to say whether that's normal or not without hearing it. If you're worried you should get it looked at by someone who knows the cars.

[quote] is the k&n 57i induction kit the best to put on, [quote]
No, there's no need to start mucking about with things like that, there's little to gain and potentially quite a bit to lose. If you're going to change anything on the induction side, just change the standard panel filter for an STi, K&N or Green one.

also need to stop ive only standard 2 pot brakes on,know any cheap good brake kits to buy.
Look in the For Sale forums for a set of Subaru 294mm four pot front calipers and discs. Should be able to get everything you need for less than £300.

If you're new to these cars make sure you've had a good look around here for the do's and don'ts. Most important and pressing one by a mile is to make sure you only use Optimax plus the correct amount of a good octane booster, and fit a KnockLink as soon as possible to make sure your engine isn't killing itself due to a problem, or a crazy Japanese chip...
Old 01 March 2004, 11:15 PM
dij
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

yup hes right
Old 01 March 2004, 11:25 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Talking

surprised no-one's said 'take no notice and drive it like you stole it' yet

greasemonkey knows what he's talking about. maybe try some better pads in the two pot front calipers first though if you feel you need them.

get used to the car before you start modding too much.

start with suspension, geometry and brakes.

and have fun

Last edited by RRH; 01 March 2004 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01 March 2004, 11:30 PM
tony brad
Scooby Newbie

[QUOTE=greasemonkey]That's not particularly unusual. Apart from anything else, it'll start to get heatsoak from the block and turbo as soon as you slow down.

Impossible to say whether that's normal or not without hearing it. If you're worried you should get it looked at by someone who knows the cars.

[quote] is the k&n 57i induction kit the best to put on,
No, there's no need to start mucking about with things like that, there's little to gain and potentially quite a bit to lose. If you're going to change anything on the induction side, just change the standard panel filter for an STi, K&N or Green one.

Look in the For Sale forums for a set of Subaru 294mm four pot front calipers and discs. Should be able to get everything you need for less than £300.

If you're new to these cars make sure you've had a good look around here for the do's and don'ts. Most important and pressing one by a mile is to make sure you only use Optimax plus the correct amount of a good octane booster, and fit a KnockLink as soon as possible to make sure your engine isn't killing itself due to a problem, or a crazy Japanese chip...
what is a knocklink and what does it do
Old 01 March 2004, 11:32 PM
sti555
Scooby Regular

just drive it like you stole it!

lol!

Old 02 March 2004, 03:15 AM
julian N/W wrx my93
Scooby Regular

i have the whinning noise in mine, usually when the girlfriends in!!
but seriously, you can hear the turbo inside the car. and with the air filter bit, all i,ve done is drill some 1inch holes in the air box.
i've got a silver my93 and it made 262bhp@flywheel on sunday with just a de-cat center pipe and the drilled air box.

oh where in st.helens are you, i'm in sunny parr!!!!
Old 02 March 2004, 06:40 PM
tony brad
Scooby Newbie

[QUOTE=julian N/W wrx my93]i have the whinning noise in mine, usually when the girlfriends in!!
but seriously, you can hear the turbo inside the car. and with the air filter bit, all i,ve done is drill some 1inch holes in the air box.
i've got a silver my93 and it made 262bhp@flywheel on sunday with just a de-cat center pipe and the drilled air box.

oh where in st.helens are you, i'm in sunny parr!!!![/Q near the saints ground,my scooby is meant to be 280bhp where is flywheel i would like to test mine,cheers julian