Scooby LPG conversion ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 29 February 2004, 10:29 AM
devonterzo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Scooby LPG conversion ? ?

Hi everyone,

I sold my Terzo a while back due to an increase in my annual milage and a huge increase in my fuel bill.

I miss it terribly and was considering buying an imprerza and fitting a gas coversion kit for cheaper motorway miles.

Does anyone have any information, thoughts, ideas?
Old 29 February 2004, 11:24 AM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Why on earth do this to an Impreza?
Old 29 February 2004, 11:28 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 16vmarc
Why on earth do this to an Impreza?
Because it will save you money?

it sounds like a good idea to me! it reckons not to mess with performance if i remember correctly? so why not?? its got to be cheaper, and then can spend more on toys.....

jamo
Old 29 February 2004, 06:08 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

..made enquires recently ..greenfuel company ..i dont have concern with initial cost ..and in theory thence cost 1/2 as much to run - and im happy with power at moment full decat sti 1~270hp?. however this route is not recommended if your thinkin of upping power /mods-and ultimatley whould be concerned ,who would ,buy it after ive grown out. searchin thro previous threads -seems no prob with mods if you run purely on gas,but...
Old 29 February 2004, 06:26 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

I remember a while back some bloke winning a touring car championship and was driving an LPG powered vectra, was faster than the competitors running petrol
Old 29 February 2004, 06:34 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Using LPG should give the same power output, and it's 1/2 price sounds ideal to me for the daily commute.

Dipster
Old 29 February 2004, 06:35 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

I have also been thinking of this as i am now doing a lot of miles a scoob that in efect dos 40 - 50 mpg cant be bad but the down side is ill be shating my self every time i put my foot down. has any body had this done or know any disaster storys
Old 29 February 2004, 06:48 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

theres umpteen threads out there ,somewhere ,if you can find the search facility afaik -very few complete disasters-and if there were surley installers would be liable
Old 29 February 2004, 06:51 PM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't recommend this at all. Assuming you qualify for a Powershift grant which will contribute around half of the installation costs you will still need to have a fairly hefty annual mileage to make it pay.

Subaru have done some test work on LPG powered engines and it wasn't that succesful mainly due to wear problems on the piston rings as well as oil scavenging issues as a result of the engine's configuration I suspect. This has been confirmed by several Police Forces also trialling converted Subarus.

You will also lose power and overall your likely cost savings (assuming your engine doesn't pack up) will be around 30% as mpg is slightly less than petrol - and I have no faith in HMG keeping the fuel duties as they are at present. My bet is that they will increase in a few years which will effectively sound the death toll for LPG.

Lastly, I have yet to see a decent enough conversion that I'd be happy running on an Impreza - some of them are fine for Transit vans but not something that I'd run on a more sophisticated engine.

Without a long term commitment from the Government and subsequently manufacturers it's unlikely that LPG is anything other than a fillip to boost Phoney Tony's environmental credentials.

I'd rather say go for it as it directly affects me as an employee of one of the largest Autogas suppliers but in all honesty I don't see it as a good idea.
Old 29 February 2004, 07:20 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

..was thinkin movin to france long term ,where i think its cheaper?-dont know french governments attitude. ha deisel powered impreza
Old 01 March 2004, 12:33 PM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

France, from a long term supply point of view would be beneficial as they have had a long established LPG infrastructure and culture but I still don't think it's a good idea from a technical point of view.

Then again, if someone could make a success of it then I reckon there would be a mile long queue of Impreza owners.
Old 01 March 2004, 12:51 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

I looked into this about 18mths ago, I manged to contact a chap with a STI wagon that had been successfully converted by www.gas4cars.com.
I did contact them & they mentioned that you could only run standard boost when running it. Don't know whether things have moved on since.

D