03 WRX with ppp or 03 STI

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2004, 03:28 PM
andy1234
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 WRX with ppp or 03 STI

Hello all,
New to this forum, but am a regular over on S2ki.com (Don't have the S any more though)
Anyway, a question....
I am thinking of buying a 6 - 12 month old 03 shape.
What are the merits of spending 21kish for an STI over 17kish for the WRX with PPP, bigger wheels etc?

Cheers
Andy
Old 27 February 2004, 03:34 PM
WRX_BLUES
Scooby Regular

STI: Harder ride, 6 gears, Suretrac LSD, PPP quicker than WRX PPP (if you want later on)
WRX: Day to day driveability. Lower insurance?
Old 27 February 2004, 03:52 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Sti also has Brembo brakes as standard, no fogs, different laid out dash display, high spolier, gold wheels, Sti trim and IIRC the engine internals are different.
Old 27 February 2004, 04:05 PM
andy1234
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by MattW
Sti also has Brembo brakes as standard, no fogs, different laid out dash display, high spolier, gold wheels, Sti trim and IIRC the engine internals are different.
Thanks for the quick feedback guys...
I have actually driven the standard wrx and the sti, so I know what the trim level differences are. What I am really after is an opinion on the performance levels of sti vs WRX ppp in the real world. Maybe someone has had both or driven both?

Thanks....
Old 27 February 2004, 04:45 PM
madisonmonkey
Scooby Senior

Smile

Andy, I have just got a MY03Sti to replace my old MY02WRX PPP wagon. I am aware that the MY03WRX PPP has more power/performance than the 02 but here's what I think. In terms of outright pace there's probably very little in it but the Sti is a totally different machine in terms of driver involvement. Feels twice as quick as the WRX(6speed box+much more pull at top of rev range) and the chassis dynamics are in a whole new league. LSD at front end hauls the nose toward the apex rather than washing out into understeer. And the brakes kick ***. But here's the downside. If I was going on an extended drive in the real world I'd take the WRX everytime. It's just a superb allrounder. But as they say, Jack of all trades,master of none. I don't use my Sti daily so the harsh ride and thrashy nature aren't a worry and every time I drive it I love it even more.
Please excuse the essay, got a bit carried away,
Monkey.
Old 27 February 2004, 04:50 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

STi - much more complete package, but it has to have the PPP as well!
Old 27 February 2004, 05:37 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

If you can go for the STI

You'll only start thinking:
Mmmm could do with some big brakes, wonder if i can get the hadling better, those STi seats would be nice!, could do with all the trick bits in the motor, my WRX doesn't keep pace with a FQ300, u can get 350bhp without too many changes, ITS a STI, Its a STI... ??????????

Mmm that will be an STi then!

+ I love mine...

Hope this helps!
Old 27 February 2004, 05:45 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

Andy have a read of this

http://www.iwoc.co.uk/my2003a.html
Old 27 February 2004, 07:05 PM
dr.scoob
Scooby Regular

It depends if that's as far as you're going to go in terms of mods. If you're not going to do anything else then the WRX PPP is probably the one to go for cos its a lot cheaper to start with and you really wont notice the difference in terms of pace (but you probably know that already if you've driven both). The insurance is slightly less but that depends where you go. However if you want a car that you can modify further then it would have to be the STI. You can easily get 300+BHP out of it and 3rd party mods can take it to 330+. The WRX 03 on the other hand would need a lot of money spent on it to hit that sort of power output and it may not be that reliable after that level of modification. Also all those mods would have to be 3rd party.
Old 27 February 2004, 07:34 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just buy a JDM STi and have done with it, 6 speed, more power than a uk car, lots more extras available to you, better engine, twin scroll, bigger turbo.... what more can you say (its still a harder ride than the wrx though)

Tony(JDM WRX STi Spec C owner)
Old 27 February 2004, 08:53 PM
Ady 1
Scooby Regular

Default BANG

Tony, there is one more thing you can say about the JDM, blown motors if you don't use correct fuel or have the ECU tweaked/replaced. The JDM cars seem to spit the dummy out more than the UK ones (perhaps cos of the higher state of tune). I owned a type R for 4 years and 2 blown engines so if you want to take the risk then go ahead. I also know that UK cars can occasionally spit the dummy out but it doesn't seem to happen as often as the JDM's. Go on then scoobynetters, disagree with me, just waiting to be told I am talking cr&p etc etc .

Ady
Old 27 February 2004, 10:48 PM
barneyrubble
Scooby Regular

Hi Andy, welcome to scoobynet.
WRX PPP if you are using the car as a daily mode of transport and doing a fair mileage. STi with PPP when you can afford it, if it's a weekend car or low miler and you want to get big performance and full on handling with all that comes with these changes - such as harsh ride, heavy clutch, low mpg, more work to gain the performance. Still the STi will always be the daddy!

Barney (WRX 03 PPP)
Old 27 February 2004, 11:47 PM
nigsy
Scooby Regular

heavy clutch?
Old 28 February 2004, 09:38 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ady1, yup you can have blown motors, thats why one of the first things i had put on mine was a knocklink
The UK STi can be also prone to this problem if you get a bad tank of fuel, so can the wrx even though its mapped for 95 ron.... but it is still very rare and ecu technology has advanced since 1998 on subarus

Tony
Old 28 February 2004, 03:09 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

i bought a wrx 02 although i was very happy with the car i always felt i should have gone the other 10 miles and got the sti.

so i traded it in for one.

now my life is complete,im sleeping better, the hairs starting to grow back on my bald head, im sure my dicks grown a bit, and the wife seems more attractive.

get the sti
Old 28 February 2004, 06:37 PM
andy1234
Scooby Newbie

Thanks guys,
To be honest, I actually don't drive REALLY hard, so the additional handling benefits of the STI might be surplus to requirements. The suspension and brakes may be a benefit when at the limit but unlikely to be tested to the limit by me!
The car will be an everyday car so the speed and relative comfort of the WRX PPP might be the best compromise.
Old 01 March 2004, 05:47 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

andy1234 go for a WRX PPP you wont regret it....
Old 01 March 2004, 07:04 PM
compshack
Scooby Regular

I drive my STI 03 everyday can't stand driving anything else. When you drive another car then get back into the sti it just feels so positive and that's just on the handling. I have 18" ff7's on mine and I would say the ride is comfortable, compared to other "hot" cars. The main thing that I thought was it would be nagging in the back of my mind thinking I have a scoob but it's not the best and before you know it you've spent the same on trying to make it like and STi.
Old 01 March 2004, 08:45 PM
harrymonk
Scooby Regular

Default sti ppp

Well had one four six months now and its the best thing since sliced bread and when i go out for a spin! i never want to come back , just keep on going and going.
Paul ps
i have never driven a wrx so could'nt tell you sorry.
Old 01 March 2004, 10:03 PM
wrx bill
Scooby Regular

Location: erm erm erm well it does lots to the gallon but it aint a scoob doh

i drove a 03 ppp and went for a 03 wrx with a mind to ppp it so swoped in the sti 7 we had but after ownin it for a couple off months i got in to my m8s sti 8 just had to have a sti again so we got one. i feel its a all round better package more like a scooby should be. but thats just me.
Old 01 March 2004, 10:25 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

I have an 03 WRX and desperately want an 03 STi despite doing 18K per annum in my cars .....
Old 02 March 2004, 01:00 AM
steppers
Scooby Regular

Smile

Dont know where this heavy clutch came from
Ive got an sti8 after being convinced that the wrx was running to its limit whereas the sti had the 6 speed box and can handle the power better including the brembos
Oh come on if you can splash the cash who wouldnt go for the sti
Its the only time ive ever asked the missus if she wants to go shopping and i drive her as far as i can go
Sod the petrol i just cant stop smiling
Old 02 March 2004, 07:35 AM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Smile

Have got a 03 STi and 03 WRX, STi wins hands down but that is why it is £5k more. You get what you pay for
Old 02 March 2004, 08:56 AM
nellie
Scooby Regular

STI without any question,to get a WRX to the same as a STI you need to spend more than a STI would have cost you,6spd,s/trac diff etc etc,or do what i did and change from a STI7 to a EVO8 FQ300 totally different league!
Old 02 March 2004, 09:37 AM
Supercue
Scooby Regular

Nellie you traitor how could you move to the dark side
Seriously I hope lifes treating you well my friend

Back on topic

If as you say Andy you want an every day car then the WRX SL + PPP is a blinding package. With the SL you also get Leather (Heated) seats and a sunroof coupled with the power of an Sti. Change the downpipe and the torque low down makes the car so much more easier to drive around town and on long runs. You don't have to stir the gear box quite so often unless you want to let rip

Whatever package you go for they're both the nuts. The leather interior, identical power out put to the Sti and additional doors for the kids made my mind up.

Buy and enjoy

Last edited by Supercue; 02 March 2004 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02 March 2004, 09:47 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

additional doors
Eh?
Old 02 March 2004, 09:49 AM
nellie
Scooby Regular

hi supercue,hows it going?long time no see!!!!! (sorry about the snoring at the ring!!!)The Evo had to be bought !!!!!it actually frightens me!! something the STI never did! the way it just pulls is wicked!and accelleration makes your stomach go !!.Hows your car going?
Old 02 March 2004, 11:19 AM
Supercue
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Brun
Eh?
The dealer who showed me round the 2 cars (WRX & Sti) told me STi was a 2 door only. I never new a thing about Scoobs or that SN existed until after I'd bought one.

As I have 6 children 4 doors is a must. If only I knew about SN back then I would probably gone for something like the JDM Sti, type 25 or spec C
But don't misunderstand me I love my Scoob and pound for pound it's unbeatable value for all round performance and practicality.

Nellie- I'm fine snoring what snoring That weekend was a blinder. I'm going back this year. Are you going to the Ring at Easter??

I've not modded the car too much yet as I haven't needed to. PPP and the H-S downpipe has been all. I'm thinking of going to TSL for a re-mamp and change the up pipe after I've recovered from the Euro 2004 trip to Portugal with my kids