Sponsored by:

Comparative Differences of STi/WRX - Split From Race Thread

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2004, 06:06 PM
DJNafey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Comparative Differences of STi/WRX - Split From Race Thread

I thought the jap WRX was 280bhp and the STi was 300? As far as I know, my MY96 WRX will hit 60 in about 5.8sec and my mate's imported MY99 STi will do it in about 5.2sec. The more significant difference between the 2 models seems to be how they look as much as how quick they are.

But, with so many different variations on the models, I have to admit to being a little confused as to exactly what we've all got !! If someone has a link to some test data tables or conclusive info, I'd be keen to know
Old 19 February 2004, 09:47 PM
JohnnyR6
Scooby Regular

A jap sti has 280 bhp but is a more tunable car (if your after big power) imho. It has lighter panels, bigger turbo than the wrx but on the road there wouldn't be much in it, like for like.
Old 19 February 2004, 09:57 PM
DJNafey
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by JohnnyR6
A jap sti has 280 bhp
So my jap WRX is 260bhp then?
Old 19 February 2004, 10:01 PM
peachy wrx
Scooby Regular

depends on the which year wrx from 98-2000 i think they were 280 bhp but before that i have no idea
Old 19 February 2004, 10:09 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJNafey
I thought the jap WRX was 280bhp and the STi was 300? As far as I know, my MY96 WRX will hit 60 in about 5.8sec and my mate's imported MY99 STi will do it in about 5.2sec. The more significant difference between the 2 models seems to be how they look as much as how quick they are.

But, with so many different variations on the models, I have to admit to being a little confused as to exactly what we've all got !! If someone has a link to some test data tables or conclusive info, I'd be keen to know

Think your underestimating your 0-60 times there.
Old 20 February 2004, 12:04 AM
richiewong
Twatful

Thumbs up

For differences in models and MY's have a look here
Old 20 February 2004, 12:50 AM
DJNafey
Scooby Regular

Looks like my standard MY96 WRX has 260bhp. Thanks Richiewong
Old 20 February 2004, 01:35 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

agreed with the above

98 wrx has 280 bhp and is plenty fast enough
none of this smaller turbo rubbish

it has everything a sti model has engine wise bar the red manifold, the pistons and the intercooler is painted black instead of silver, it has a slightly diffrent map which suposedly gives the wrx a bit of a smaller torque output (but not on my model as i managed 258lbft torque and 281bhp when tested)
Old 20 February 2004, 01:41 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJNafey
my MY96 WRX will hit 60 in about 5.8sec and my mate's imported MY99 STi will do it in about 5.2sec. The more significant difference between the 2 models seems to be how they look as much as how quick they are.
my my97 wrx did it in 4.8 secs on the 1st run and 4.5 secs on the second run, it was timed via gps @ a 0-60 event held at croft race track last summer

engine mods at that time were as follows
revolution cat back exhaust system, pannel filter, red samco pipes

97wrx saloons imo are a performance bargin, they gofor around £8500 - £9000 round this way which ismuch cheaper then the 97 STI and it costs much less then the diffrence in price to add the front spoiler and colour code the skirts etc etc
mine came with sti rear spoiler and lights and ive seen most other wrx`s of that age come with them as well

bargin!
Old 20 February 2004, 11:24 PM
JohnnyR6
Scooby Regular

Micky as far as i was led to believe the sti and wrx engines are different, i was told the sti engine is blueprinted using a stronger closed deck block, i think the pistons are different too. I know the turbo is bigger but realistically that just makes it a bit laggier.
Old 20 February 2004, 11:34 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Micky as far as i was led to believe the sti and wrx engines are different, i was told the sti engine is blueprinted using a stronger closed deck block, i think the pistons are different too. I know the turbo is bigger but realistically that just makes it a bit laggier.
They run a different ecu and the sti has a higher rev limiter but it depends which models you compare really. A newer wrx ra will be quicker than an earlier MY sti. MY for MY then the STi will have a bit more performance but when you start comparing r/ra against standard sti then you would be surprised
Old 21 February 2004, 12:36 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

its all depending on the years mate

my 97 wrx comes with exactly the same intercooler (cept its painted black)/turbo/injectors etc etc as the same year sti
Old 21 February 2004, 07:49 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Bear in mind that the Jap BHPs are based on using Jap fuel, NOT UK.

So, a boggo WRX that has 240BHP, on UK fuel (97/98RON) is looking realisticallyabout 230ish....

The only way to get the same BHP spec is to use SUL/Optimax AND Ocatane booster.

Dan

(UKMY99m but next will be a JDM STi9 )

Last edited by ScoobyDoo555; 21 February 2004 at 07:54 AM.
Old 21 February 2004, 08:04 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
Bear in mind that the Jap BHPs are based on using Jap fuel, NOT UK.

So, a boggo WRX that has 240BHP, on UK fuel (97/98RON) is looking realisticallyabout 230ish....

The only way to get the same BHP spec is to use SUL/Optimax AND Ocatane booster.

Dan

(UKMY99m but next will be a JDM STi9 )
yes but a jap sti and a jap wrx show the same drops in performance when not used on the same grade of correct fuel?
Old 21 February 2004, 08:21 AM
K9VYN
Scooby Regular

Johnny,

to the best of my knowledge you could guarantee an STi ra would have a closed deck (sand cast) block to June '96 - i have just had a version 2 one fitted. spec includes:

forged pistons (with short skirt & oil jet cooling via conrods)
performance heads (water jacketed)
uprated/hardened crank
solid lifters
wild camshaft profile
5th injector
etc..

from then on the STi's came with open deck (die cast) blocks - i'm not sure this applies to all models (i.e. v-ltd etc).

the reason for this was that up to 06/96 rally cars were not restricted via the 32mm restrictor (on the turbo???) to 300 hp and therefore the 96 ra engine was the first homologation engine utilised for rallying (someone back me up on this ) - and was capable of upwards of 400 hp.

once they were restricted, it was less cost effective to build the closed deck block when the open deck was capable of see 300+ hp comfortably. i'm guessing though later WRX & STi generally have open deck, the STi may still have uprated internals??

Kev

ps.. here's a link containing some useful background info as described above. search for EJ20G for the info:
http://www.toad.net/~rrubel/turbo.html

there is lots of info about on this - using a search engine with "EJ20G" will find you links containing info on the closed desk & ra spec engine blocks as well as others.

Last edited by K9VYN; 21 February 2004 at 08:28 AM.
Old 21 February 2004, 01:54 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Please carry on