Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Giving my MY98 a MY00 Facelift....

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2004, 11:03 AM
cinders
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Giving my MY98 a MY00 Facelift....

After a slight crunch my MY98 needs new headlamps, foglamps, bumper, bonnet, grille, etc....

I'd love to upgrade the front so it has the MY00 look. So far I've managed to sort out the clear headlamps and foglamps....

As for the MY00 bumper - does anyone know if this will bolt straight on, or will I need some other parts?....
It's actually cheaper than the MY98 grille, so I'm sure my insurance company will go with that.

Will the MY00 deep front grille go straight on?....

Anything else I need? Did the sidelights change at all, or are they the same?

Any other changes from MY98 to MY00?

Matt.
Old 18 February 2004, 11:22 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Sidelights are the same. Can't really answer the rest...

Andy
Old 18 February 2004, 11:22 AM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

The grille is different between MY98 and MY99/00 but not much - it fits the same aperture but sticks out forwards a little more, looks better IMHO.

Not sure if the MY99/00 bumper will bolt straight on, but don't forget indicators are different. Make sure they sort out headlamp washers too - I think they are the same, but the pipes may well have broken on impact.

I think the sidelights are the same.

Best of luck

T
Old 18 February 2004, 11:56 AM
Dougster
Scooby Regular

Ask Scoty, he's done it.
Old 18 February 2004, 12:12 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cinders:

What did the body shop say about the slightly different parts - were they quite flexible?
Old 18 February 2004, 01:20 PM
cinders
Scooby Regular

The body shop are being tw*ts...

They said they can't fit new spec parts as the insurance says it's like for like etc. I also asked them to spray my sills and wing mirrors and they said they'd have to charge me for their labour (why they can't add that to the total bill, for f***s sake!...)

They won't fit clear headlights or fogs from a MY00, they have to be MY98 ones, but I've got round that because both my headlights are broken so I can't drive my car legally - I rang the insurance and said I can't drive the car without headlights so they said just buy a set of headlights and fogs outright and they'll foot the bill (Clear headlamps + Fogs ordered!....)

Anyway I priced up the parts with Subaru...

For a MY98 Bumper, Bumper Beam & Grille it's £367-94 + VAT
For a MY00 Bumper, Bumper Bream & Grille it's £310-00 + VAT

So if I get a MY00 Bumper + Grille fitted it'll save the insurance some money.

The bodyshop are calling me Friday to let me know exactly what they're replacing and when they can do the work, so I'm going to ask them to fax me a full breakdown of the cost of each part and what part numbers they're ordering. Once I get that I'm going to contact my insurance company and explain to them if the MY00 parts are used it will be cheaper and save them money. I reckon the insurance company will give me the thumbs up - then I can ring the body shop up and tell them exactly what I want and they can't argue with my insurance company. Touch wood!....

What you guys think?
Old 18 February 2004, 01:25 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Good luck - don't know what the body shop will make of your request.

I am paying for my sills etc to be painted so I have not asked them to do it free - it may be cheaper though as they are reasonable and know it is slightly less work as they are working on and spraying my car anyway.
Old 18 February 2004, 01:30 PM
cinders
Scooby Regular

Thats what I thought about the sills - hell if they're spraying the bonnet/bumper, it's no extra hassle to take the sills of and spray them - hell i'll take them off myself for them, and the wingmirrors!....

Anyway at least I got my clear headlights & fogs
Old 18 February 2004, 01:37 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by cinders
The body shop are being tw*ts...

They said they can't fit new spec parts as the insurance says it's like for like etc. I also asked them to spray my sills and wing mirrors and they said they'd have to charge me for their labour (why they can't add that to the total bill, for f***s sake!...)

They won't fit clear headlights or fogs from a MY00, they have to be MY98 ones, but I've got round that because both my headlights are broken so I can't drive my car legally - I rang the insurance and said I can't drive the car without headlights so they said just buy a set of headlights and fogs outright and they'll foot the bill (Clear headlamps + Fogs ordered!....)

Anyway I priced up the parts with Subaru...

For a MY98 Bumper, Bumper Beam & Grille it's £367-94 + VAT
For a MY00 Bumper, Bumper Bream & Grille it's £310-00 + VAT

So if I get a MY00 Bumper + Grille fitted it'll save the insurance some money.

The bodyshop are calling me Friday to let me know exactly what they're replacing and when they can do the work, so I'm going to ask them to fax me a full breakdown of the cost of each part and what part numbers they're ordering. Once I get that I'm going to contact my insurance company and explain to them if the MY00 parts are used it will be cheaper and save them money. I reckon the insurance company will give me the thumbs up - then I can ring the body shop up and tell them exactly what I want and they can't argue with my insurance company. Touch wood!....

What you guys think?
If the Bodyshop are being ***** take it somewhere else! It's your choice and their loss Makes me mad when you get a jobsworth like that. Some guy rear ended my old car years ago and I got my wheels resprayed, delocked colour coded at the same time for not much extra money Tell the bodyshop where to go and tell the insurance you aren't happy to take it to them.
Old 18 February 2004, 01:46 PM
cinders
Scooby Regular

I'm standing my ground with this one!

It makes sense to upgrade everything if it's no extra cost, it's no skin of anyone's nose.....

You are right Paul, it was some jobsworth who looked at my car and said no can't do that, can't do this, etc. I'll escalate it to his manager on Friday if they won't budge, and if his manager won't budge I'll take it somewhere else.
Old 18 February 2004, 02:38 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't even bother with their manager to be honest incase they got funny and went back to the insurance. Where do you live? someone may know a friendly bodyshop in your area
Old 18 February 2004, 02:46 PM
cinders
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
I wouldn't even bother with their manager to be honest incase they got funny and went back to the insurance. Where do you live? someone may know a friendly bodyshop in your area

I reckon my insurance company will be fine about it all if I ring them up and tell them it'll save them money using the MY00 parts.

If my insurance OK's it, then the bodyshop will have to do it I guess.
Old 18 February 2004, 02:47 PM
cinders
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
I live up in Sunny Middlesbrough by the way!.....
Old 18 February 2004, 02:55 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Wink

I live up in Sunny Middlesbrough by the way!.....
Put a new thread up asking for recommendations in that area and see what people can advise
Old 18 February 2004, 02:56 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

I reckon my insurance company will be fine about it all if I ring them up and tell them it'll save them money using the MY00 parts.

If my insurance OK's it, then the bodyshop will have to do it I guess.
I can't see the issue either because at a guess the parts will be the same price and they will fit just as easily. I reckon you just got a jobsworth
Old 18 February 2004, 04:31 PM
scrappydog
Scooby Regular

Matt,

Did exactly the same thing as you, albeit a MY95 to MY00 spec front end. As you've already discovered the MY00 stuff is cheaper than the old stuff! (wierd). Your bodyshop is being an **** - is it a franchise Subaru dealer? When I got it done, the bodyshop was not a Subaru dealer, but they dealt directly with a local Subaru garage to spec all the bits. The body shop was happy for me to speak directly to the Subaru garage to up spec the bits to MY00. I was unsure who pocketed the difference since I was happy to get the newer spec parts.

As people have advised already, don't let the body shop get in your way - be awkward or take it to another bodyshop. You WILL kick yourself if you miss this oppotunity to get a free upgrade. Also, on a more practical note, the clear headlights are much better than the crap ones on the MY98.

As far as bits go it is any easy swap, but you have to be aware of a few things:
1) Headlights - clear lens ones are a straight swap and you keep the same sidelights
2) Grill - you'll need MY00 spec grill, but it is a straight swap
3) Bumper - Straight swap.
4) Front Indicators - you'll need new ones to go with the new bumper
5) Foglamps - You'll need new clear lens foglamps + new brackets
6) Wedgy things - You'll need these (go underneith the indicators)
7) Undertray - can't remember! I think the existing one should fit okay.

Good luck,

Andy
Old 18 February 2004, 05:08 PM
cinders
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by scrappydog
Matt,

Did exactly the same thing as you, albeit a MY95 to MY00 spec front end. As you've already discovered the MY00 stuff is cheaper than the old stuff! (wierd). Your bodyshop is being an **** - is it a franchise Subaru dealer? When I got it done, the bodyshop was not a Subaru dealer, but they dealt directly with a local Subaru garage to spec all the bits. The body shop was happy for me to speak directly to the Subaru garage to up spec the bits to MY00. I was unsure who pocketed the difference since I was happy to get the newer spec parts.

As people have advised already, don't let the body shop get in your way - be awkward or take it to another bodyshop. You WILL kick yourself if you miss this oppotunity to get a free upgrade. Also, on a more practical note, the clear headlights are much better than the crap ones on the MY98.

As far as bits go it is any easy swap, but you have to be aware of a few things:
1) Headlights - clear lens ones are a straight swap and you keep the same sidelights
2) Grill - you'll need MY00 spec grill, but it is a straight swap
3) Bumper - Straight swap.
4) Front Indicators - you'll need new ones to go with the new bumper
5) Foglamps - You'll need new clear lens foglamps + new brackets
6) Wedgy things - You'll need these (go underneith the indicators)
7) Undertray - can't remember! I think the existing one should fit okay.

Good luck,

Andy

Andy,

Thanks for the reply!.... I've just ordered a set of clear headlamps and foglamps (clear foglamps are cheaper than std ones!) for my car from the Subaru dealers - I can't drive the car at the moment because they're broken making it not legal on the road! Anyway I spoke to my insurance and they said just buy them so I can get my car back on the road and send them the bill.... So I've got 1. and 5. from your list arriving for weekend fitment!.....

When I spoke to the Subaru dealer he told me I needed a different rear beam for the new bumper - the old one for mine was £80 but the one for the new bumper is only £45.

The bodyshop thats doing my car is my local Jennings (soon to be a Subaru franchise) and the guy who looked at my car was an ****, but I won't be put off, no way, I'll fight this all the way because it makes sense to fit MY00 items and save the insurance company a bit of money - I'm sure my insurance company will see it my way as well!.... It's no hassle for anyone, just some guy being a **** at the end of the day (obviously he must have a small ***** or he's a premature ejaculator or something.... - anyway thats his problem, I won't get annoyed and make it mine!) - at the end of the day it's my insurance company that has last say - not the bodyshop!

Hopefully in a few weeks time I'll have a MY98 car with MY00 front end, colour coded wing mirrors and sills all sparkly new.....!

I'll keep you guys informed and post the pictures when it's done!

Thanks for all the help.
Old 18 February 2004, 07:40 PM
DR Motorsport
BANNED

Cinders,

I was in the same situation 4 years ago when I had a 97 model. Had a very light bump, so took the opertunity to give it the 2000 look.

The car was in for repair at my local repair centre. Insurance approved the repairs at cost pricing for the parts plus the agreed labour rate/time for the repair.

I then phoned my Subaru dealer for all the part numbers I needed, and gave the list to the repair garage, who then contacted the same Subaru dealer to order them.

Parts were delivered a few days later, and the job was done. Insurance company probably never knew about the differences.

I've got some pictures on our web-site and some more details.

David
Old 18 February 2004, 08:00 PM
MR Fusion
Scooby Regular

At least you've got the option to go to a different bodyshop. When I had a smash in my last car, I didn't have the option of going anywhere else - all part of the 'special' club scheme insurance that tied me in.
They had to fit all parts manfacturer spec, so I drove out of there with three 17" after-market wheels, and one 15" manufacturer wheel on the car! Doh!
Old 19 February 2004, 10:53 AM
cinders
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MR Fusion
At least you've got the option to go to a different bodyshop. When I had a smash in my last car, I didn't have the option of going anywhere else - all part of the 'special' club scheme insurance that tied me in.
They had to fit all parts manfacturer spec, so I drove out of there with three 17" after-market wheels, and one 15" manufacturer wheel on the car! Doh!
Thats shocking that - who were you insured with?..... Must be down to the Insurance company
Old 19 February 2004, 10:58 AM
cinders
Scooby Regular

Well I spoke to the body shop this morning who have refused point blank to fit MY00 parts..... I guess all the people who work there must have small *****'s or something......

Anyway...

I called my insurance company and spoke to the manager of the claims department who had no problem with fitting MY00 parts as it would be slightly cheaper. He rang the body shop up for me, gave them some ****, called me back and said they are now ordering all MY00 parts for my motor....

Just waiting for a call now for them to take my car in....

Only thing I'm worried about is what if they take my car out for a good blast and abuse it?.... I'm going to note down the millage when I leave it there, but is there anything you can do if it comes back thrashed, burnt out clutch, handbrake you can lift up to your ear, etc.......
Old 19 February 2004, 11:15 AM
cinders
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DR Motorsport
Cinders,

I was in the same situation 4 years ago when I had a 97 model. Had a very light bump, so took the opertunity to give it the 2000 look.

The car was in for repair at my local repair centre. Insurance approved the repairs at cost pricing for the parts plus the agreed labour rate/time for the repair.

I then phoned my Subaru dealer for all the part numbers I needed, and gave the list to the repair garage, who then contacted the same Subaru dealer to order them.

Parts were delivered a few days later, and the job was done. Insurance company probably never knew about the differences.

I've got some pictures on our web-site and some more details.

David

David,

Do you have the link to your site and the details? I'd love to have a look! I can't wait to get mine all done with those clear lights and the new deeper front grille!.........

Matt.
Old 19 February 2004, 11:32 AM
Mortywrx
Scooby Regular

ye sue em for every penny,
Old 19 February 2004, 11:49 AM
cinders
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mortywrx
ye sue em for every penny,
Fantastic!... I hope they trash the engine or write the car off!.... (I can buy an RB5 then!)

I've got the car going in my local performance place next week to have a H&S Decat Downpipe + Middle Section fitted, alongside some lovely new Magencor KV85 HT leads - so I can use them as proof of the condition of the car before it goes in the bodyshop.

Matt.
Old 19 February 2004, 11:54 AM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Ive recently face lifted mine from an MY98 to MY00 front end but opted for the P1 driving lights instead of the standard big round fogs.Everything was a straight swap and believe it or not the bumper was a complete doddle to do
Old 19 February 2004, 11:59 AM
cinders
Scooby Regular

How much where the P1 driving lights?... I've ordered the clear headlamps, and foglamps, but I can always cancel the foglamps and fit the P1 lights instead.

The clear foglamps where £50 + VAT Each from the dealer
Old 19 February 2004, 11:43 PM
scrappydog
Scooby Regular

In fact what Scooby-TC says makes a lot of sense. Either fit P1 driving lights or a set of PIAAs instead of the poxy foglamps.

Another thing I just remembered is that one of my wheels took a bit of a knock. No damage, but you could see a surface scuff on the tyres. I suggested that this could have knocked the tracking out and they agreed. So I got a fully geometry check done at the same time and put the geo to so-called Prodrive Fast Road settings. Result.

Andy
Old 20 February 2004, 12:12 AM
DR Motorsport
BANNED

Cinders,

The web-site is www.drmotorsport.co.uk
Look in the our cars section.

David
Old 20 February 2004, 12:39 AM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

The P1 lights were £48 +vat from hella each and the covers with the hole were £30 from ETS racing amazing job looks really good
Old 20 February 2004, 10:41 AM
cinders
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by scrappydog
In fact what Scooby-TC says makes a lot of sense. Either fit P1 driving lights or a set of PIAAs instead of the poxy foglamps.

Another thing I just remembered is that one of my wheels took a bit of a knock. No damage, but you could see a surface scuff on the tyres. I suggested that this could have knocked the tracking out and they agreed. So I got a fully geometry check done at the same time and put the geo to so-called Prodrive Fast Road settings. Result.

Andy

Andy,

Already spoke to body shop when I first took it down and said it's been pulling to the left since the smack, so it's booked in for a 4 wheel alignment anyway -may as well make sure the car is straight and set up properly!

Anyway once I get it back I could always tell them it's still pulling again and get it booked in for another alignment (with prodrive fast road settings...)

Where can I get these camber/castor/toe settings from?....

Matt.

Quick Reply: Giving my MY98 a MY00 Facelift....