Sponsored by:

What Car?

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2004, 10:22 AM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What Car?

My Company Car Golf is being returned in September. I have then opted to take the cash instead, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a Subaru.

I have chosen to buy an MY02 UK STi, I'll tell you my reason why I have chosen this, and then, if you feel I am wrong please tell me what you would suggest:

My first Scoob was a white MY95 UK Classic

I never liked the colour to be honest, and the interior was aweful. Speed wise, it was very quick, and I had done lots of mods. Paid 18k for it, 3 years later got 5k for it!

I never really drive these cars on the edge, sure I'm a quick driver, but compared to Pat and Mark A I'm slow as hell. Pete C once kept up with me in his Land Cruiser!

I like the car to look nice, and I like a nice interior, that why I've chosen an MY02 car.

OK, Money. I want to spend about 16k, which in September should buy me a 51 or 02 plate UK Sti. For example there is already an STi 02 here for £15,995 so in September I should definatly be able to get one.

So in summary: It will be driven fast, but not hard, and not used on track

Has to look good, and have a nice interior

Am I choosing the right Scooby for my needs, or should I just buy a MY97 and spend the rest on mods

Your thoughts please...
Old 17 February 2004, 10:59 AM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

you are right in getting a newer car.imho the classic'swere to bland inside and far to noisy,but if you like the bug-eye look go for it.(i have a MY02 wrx).i personally would get a 03 wrx and get it ppp'd,you should be able to get one for that money,i seen one a couple of months ago on here for 16k.just my opinion though,good luck,bluenose
Old 17 February 2004, 11:01 AM
Silvafox
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

In my opinion you're getting the best deal with an STI7 as its lost so much in depreciation already, a bargain I reckon. I bought my STI7 about 6 months ago and as an all round package is excellent. Coincidently I've just been on a photo shoot with Used Car Buyer as they are doing an 'STI7 Buyers Guide' in their April edition. I thought of buying an older one to modify myself but thought whats the point when this ones already 260+ bhp and can driven hard or tootle around with ease with reliability. The 6 speed makes it feel more rapid in my opinion and is a good looking car (ignoring the lights which have grown on me loads.) I've had no problems, touch wood, and have a centre decat, new backbox and a new rear wing just to finish it off. Its a little thirsty but I can live with that! £15k for just over a year old car of this nature is a bargain in my opinion. Hope that helps!?!
Old 17 February 2004, 11:02 AM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluenosewrx
i personally would get a 03 wrx and get it ppp'd,you should be able to get one for that money,i seen one a couple of months ago on here for 16k.just my opinion though,good luck,bluenose
Cheers for that, would a PPP'ed WRX give me the same sort of spec as an STi then? Are the interiors the same? What changed between the 02 & 03 models?

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by Nevetas; 17 February 2004 at 11:02 AM.
Old 17 February 2004, 11:26 AM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the emails and comments so far.

For now I think it's a 2 horse race.

MY02 UK STi or EVO VI

Guess I'll get a biased review here
Old 17 February 2004, 11:27 AM
Silvafox
Scooby Regular

It'll be similar spec power wise I believe? But you won't get the other STI components like bigger brakes etc etc that come standard on the STI and in the end you'd probably spend more getting the WRX PPP up to the same spec when you could have it all in one go from the start.

Only my opinion of course and am slightly biased towards the STI7 as I bought one! Hope views help?! Either way you'll get good performance for you money.
Old 17 February 2004, 11:30 AM
Silvafox
Scooby Regular

Looks and performance I'd go for Evo VI everytime. To get a newer car for your money and the flat four soundtrack...........STI7.
Old 17 February 2004, 11:52 AM
Supercue
Scooby Regular

If you're going to use this car for business use and have the budget, I'd go for an 03 WRX SL+ PPP. You get a superb leather interior with sunroof and heated seats. If you have clients in the car they're always impressed with how tidy the car is inside.
The performance is slightly better than a standard Sti but not much. More importantly it's quick enough and looks great inside and out as well as no annoying sqeaks or rattles.
Change the downpipe for an H+S and you have much more torque saves loads of unneccesary gear changes An awesome piece of machinery that is a total pleasure to drive IMHO

Supercue
Old 17 February 2004, 11:55 AM
CustomScoobyIOM
Scooby Regular

Second that on Supercue's car. Seen it in the flesh and looks fantastic.
Old 17 February 2004, 02:43 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Cheers, some interesting suggestions so far It's making it even harder to choose!