Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should dealers offer servicing on a Sat?

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2004, 06:27 PM
jmk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should dealers offer servicing on a Sat?

Should service centres be open on a Sat?

Had my 10k service done yesterday and asked why the dealer didn't do services on a Sat as this would be most convenient for me. My reasoning is that I can afford a Scooby because I work, if I have to miss work to drop off and collect my car then I can't afford (1) holiday time, or (2) miss up to 2 hours of work or (3) I’d have to buy a Ford. The garage said there was too little demand for Saturday service however I'm not too sure this is true.

So what do you think, should Subaru dealers offer Saturday servicing for 1/2 day or all day or not at all. (I'm aware some do but most seems not to.)

Can anyone do this as a poll as i have no idea how to.
Old 06 February 2004, 06:32 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

I've had servicing done on a sat at both Wildings in Kendal and Stan Palmer in Carlisle.

JOhn.
Old 06 February 2004, 06:47 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

In my experience they will do a minor service but not a big one like cambelt. Most garages tend to close on a Saturday lunchtime and have a lower staffing level than during the week.
Old 06 February 2004, 06:53 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Talking

My last car was easily serviced as over the years, as it was a Toyota, they first opened until 12 on a Saturday, then until 5:30 and I think they are now considering a Sunday too and they operate late on a Thursday night.

This is the way Subaru should be as the cars take longer to service so they need longer at the weekend. Let them run a half day on a Wednesday or something. I know this may not suit the staff but it certainly suits the customers.

Also, as Subaru dealerships are closing at a rate faster than they are opening, it is usually a bit of a travel for most drivers to get there before work to drop off the car and then somehow get to work on time, and get back at the end of the day before they shut.

My dealer is not too bad in only being about 30 miles from my house. The other solution is they open at 7AM in the morning to get me ther in plenty of time and I just work normal hours.

It is a bit of a worry and hassle.

P.S. My 2003 WRX is going in for it's first service (10,000 miles) - how much have any of you guys paid?

Brian.

Last edited by wrxmania; 06 February 2004 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06 February 2004, 07:14 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

we open saturdays until 12.30 and do any service including 90,000 mls and as for working sundays they couldn't afford me as it's the only full day i get to spend time with my family.
Old 06 February 2004, 07:45 PM
JoanUK300
Scooby Regular

don`t see why not......everyone else is open weekends now.

Last edited by JoanUK300; 06 February 2004 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06 February 2004, 09:09 PM
margood
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Just registered, so I don't know how to poll either . . . although if I did, I would defo say that dealers should do servicing on a Sat. As WRXmania stated below, the dealerships appear to be closing quite rapidly. As of last May I started work in Basingstoke - just as I passed 700 miles, the Basingstoke dealership closed and I had to get the 1K service completed in the more inconvenient Pangbourne - by the time the 10k service came along, they had shutdown and that service was completed in the even more inconvenient Twyford . . . So Saturday servicing ? Yes please . . . .

Last edited by margood; 06 February 2004 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06 February 2004, 10:58 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

The ones near me all do already so yes er, I mean no, erm, well maybe

But then I don't need to get mine done on a Saturday as one of the service guys lives about 150m down the road in my village so he collects it and leaves me his car and takes it in for me - it's these extra little touches that just add that certain something about owning a premium vehicle.

Last edited by Scratch; 06 February 2004 at 10:59 PM.
Old 06 February 2004, 11:00 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Superb - maybe that would increase house prices if you lived near a Subaru technician?!
Old 07 February 2004, 02:37 AM
gljam
Scooby Regular

Pah, premium service my ****. You must be really lucky, my nearset dealership lookks at me as if they've just trod in me ( which they have looking at the prices they charge ).
For £70 per hour for labour they should be open on a saturday and on a sunday and bend over backwards to fit around the customer as opposed to me going in to work and saying " oh yes i will need such and such a morning off to take my car in and i don't know when i'll get it back so keep the rest of the week free for me">

And i wonder why i'm looking elsewhere for servicing
Old 07 February 2004, 08:38 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

stan palmers in carlisle is open on saturdays, i recently had prodrive springs strut brace road angel and minor service
martin
Old 07 February 2004, 08:40 AM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

I beleive my local dealers are open on a saturday too for service - although I dont know 100% for sure (it is advertised as being open though) or of they are, whether they only do the smaller jobs.

John
Old 07 February 2004, 08:45 AM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

It is certainly a problem. One that I think can be rationalised to simple supply demand coupled with a little bit bit of "got you by the privates".

Supply/demand : There seems to be an ever decreasing number of Subaru dealerships that are disappearing and moving to other brands due to the increasingly expensive/unfair(?) demands being placed upon them by IM, in terms of having to refit their show rooms ever 5 minutes etc. As a result the few that remain are in a favourable position that they have more work then they can do.

I know when I book mine in, all 3 local dealers are typically booked up solid for at least 2 weeks.

And the curlies bit - ATM if you want to maintain your warranty you have to get a franchised dealer to do the servicing.
Old 07 February 2004, 09:27 AM
scoobybitch
Scooby Regular

My local dealer is open on a Sat 8:30 till 12:30, as mentioned before no major services will be carried out on a Sat but they do offer a collection & delivery service on a Mon. I think that having them open on a Sunday would be nice but as someone said before Sundays for people that work in garages are the only real full day they get to spend with their family. What about the fathers who only get to see their kids once a week, opening on Sunday as well wouldn't allow it. Plus the fact if they did open on Sun the hourly rate would probably go from 60/70 quid an hour to 100 to cover overtime rates.
Old 07 February 2004, 02:38 PM
jmk
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys. So IM / dealers, those of you that don't operate a Sat and / or early morning service there seems to be strong demand. Scooby aren't a popular company car choice so please take note of your paying customer's needs and consider being more flexible.

(And ideally start charging less per hour than premium brands - my boss barely pays more per hour for his Porsche!).
Old 07 February 2004, 03:05 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

why not just drop your car off late the night before and collect from their forecourt late the day off the service???
Old 07 February 2004, 04:13 PM
jmk
Scooby Regular

Tiggs - would love to do that but (1) leave car at own risk if left at night is a little risky, (2) you can't actually speak to anyone face-to-face about any issues befroe the service (3) if collect you car when it's closed what do you do about the keys, checking quality of the work etc.

Basically, I'd never just leave my car and hope for the best when I collet it.
Old 08 February 2004, 08:58 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Yes they should!
Old 08 February 2004, 10:32 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Never used a dealer that didn't open for services on Saturdays, even if it was just until 12.30.

Maybe I've just been lucky.
Old 08 February 2004, 10:55 PM
greg.g
Scooby Regular

Location: Faster than a quickshift.... get yourself a bionic arm ;)

It would be nice for the customer to be able drop the car off on saturday or sunday morning for a service and pick it up at say 5:00.

But i would not like to be one of the technicians forced to work all weekend on standard rate of pay
Having a day or two off during the week is not quite the same as being able to spend time with the wife/family at the weekend.
If they work the weekend through choice, then that would be different.
But of course, they would demand higher rates of pay.

Perhaps the way forward would be for dealers to provide safe overnight storage for the customers cars.
If you did drop it off after work, you should still be able to speak to a technician and explain any problems with your car. Its just that the work would be carried out the following morning.

My car is now out of warranty, so i now use independant garages.
Got my next service booked up at scoobyclinic in a couple of weeks time
Its only about 50 miles from where i live

Oh, and the service is on a monday.
Got the day off

Greg