Questions from a stranger

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2004, 11:47 AM
Zakito
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Hi, I'm a Newbie.

I was looking through Autotrader and I was quite stunned by how cheap Imprezas are, and seeing though I like them so much considered one as my next car. However I have few questions.

Because of my age (18) I'd only be able to afford a 'Classic' 2.0 sport's insurance which is fine by me, but if I was to buy one I'd want to make a few modifications but I'm unsure if it's as simple as it seems.

Is it possible to buy an Sti front bumper new, and would it fit straight on a 2.0 sport?

Would other Sti mods fit straight on, such as spoiler etc? Would I have to buy aftermarket goods or are there Genuine parts out there?

Did the 2.0 sport only come as a saloon, or was there a 3 door model?

Cheers!
Old 30 January 2004, 11:51 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

As far as I know there wasn't a 3-door version. You should be able to get hold STi bodystyling parts for it no problem (as long as you can put up with derisory comments from turbo owners !). I'm not sure if they're a direct fit, maybe someone else can confirm. They may be expensive but I'm sure if you look through the For Sale forum regularly you'll find interesting bits coming up for sale.

[Edited by MJW - 1/30/2004 11:53:26 AM]
Old 30 January 2004, 11:55 AM
Zakito
Scooby Newbie

I can understand why Turbo owners may look down upon me, but I wouldn't be pretending to drive an Sti etc, I just love the look of them, it would be a compliment in my eyes.

Do you know where I can pick up new bumpers etc... I tried Dr Motorsport but I can't access any links on the site thanks to JAVA not working properly on my PC.

[Edited by Zakito - 1/30/2004 11:55:56 AM]
Old 30 January 2004, 12:29 PM
Alec
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Have a look round our very own shop. http://shop.scoobynet.co.uk/

Alec
Old 30 January 2004, 12:47 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Check the insurance implications of modding your sport. You may find that the insurance costs are pushed up to the cost of insuring a turbo BTW because of your age you probably won't be able to insure a turbo.
Old 30 January 2004, 12:48 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Cool

Welcome.
Don't take any notice of any derisory comments you may get.....far better to do as you want to, and be able to insure it, than struggle to insure something you can't really yet afford. Your time will come!

And if you want to tart it up, why not?? There's no harm in it. My UK Turbo started life with a low spoiler, but now has an STi6 on it:
Doesn't make it one, but hey, I like it:

For bits, try GradeA Subaru, who are breakers, and LOADS of tuning firms, Scoobymania, Scoobysport, TSL, Graham Goode etc etc.
Click on a few of the ads on here, or browse the shop for ideas.

BTW: if you feel like a set of '01 17" wheels in perfect condition, I may be selling some in about 2-3 weeks, no tyres.

Alcazar
Old 30 January 2004, 01:24 PM
Zakito
Scooby Newbie

Thanks a lot guys, checked out the suggested websites and I have found the stuff I was looking for.

Was there a facelift during the history of the Classic Impreza? Some of the items such as the Sti fog light covers say they'll fit only models after 99 etc.
Old 30 January 2004, 02:12 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

There was a minor facelift between '98 and '99, The main cosmetic changes were a redesigned front end and different alloys (5 spoke to 6 spoke)