Windscreen Advice!!

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2004, 09:32 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

How lucky was I last night

Driving down the M1 last night I was so pleased that within the space of 30 secs not one but 2 nice big stones hit the lower left corner of my windscreen - the first chipped it and then the second put about a 1ft crack in the same place

Am about to call Autoglass and get a replacement ordered and was just wondering whether the screen that they will supply will be good enough or do I need them to get one from Subaru????

Car is a MY02 WRX

Cheers

Andy
Old 22 January 2004, 09:38 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

Spoke to my mate who is a fitter for a local company, and he says that the ones they use, although not branded Subaru, are top quality screens. Pilkington, I think.
Alcazar
Old 22 January 2004, 10:09 PM
r
Scooby Regular

had a simular problem with my windscreen!
replaced by autoglass(pilkington glass),had a problem with mine,every time i wiped the screen the wipers left all sorts of random marks on the screen!(mainly right in the line of vision)not good in night time driving in the wet .complained to auto glass and i was told it was at the manufacturers they tend to put the protective coating on when the screen is hot,it then pulls the adhesive off the back of the protective film!
they replaced it with no quibbles,managed to remove it intact and returned it back to pilks!just one to look out 4!

simon
Old 22 January 2004, 11:00 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the responses guys

Car now booked in for a new un Sarurday...and it better be a good un

Andy
Old 23 January 2004, 12:15 AM
stu200
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

When the chappie gets the old screen off, compare the thickness to the new Pilkington jobbie. It's like getting a strut brace fitted - there's that much difference
Old 23 January 2004, 09:22 AM
SeanJames
Scooby Regular

"When the chappie gets the old screen off, compare the thickness to the new Pilkington jobbie. It's like getting a strut brace fitted - there's that much difference "

??? Er no

Just to point out that Pilkinton is just a manufacture of glass the same as Triplex Armorplate ect.Just because you use Autoglass your not always going to get a Pilkinton glass.
Difference in Screen thickness are not visable to the naked eye ( as we are talking .1 or so of a mil.) from the MAJOR manufactures.However there is a Windscreen company that uses their own branded glass of which I would never have fitted to my car due to them being on the legal limit of the min thickness required.
The only thing I would say is when the job is complete check the trims are relocated correctly,and do a pre inspection check with the fitter before he starts work on your scoob.
Autoglass only fit glass to o\e spec.
Old 23 January 2004, 09:30 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

SJ,

Will they have to remove anything from inside the cabin or the black strips that run down the side of the windscreen from the roof?

Cheers

Andy
Old 23 January 2004, 09:44 AM
SeanJames
Scooby Regular

No mate with a 00 down then yes but not with yours,just make sure that any alarm/gauge wires are not tucked behind the dash or behind the A post trims as there is a slight danger that they could catch them when cutting the old screen out.
At the end of the day main dealers do not change there own windscreens,that includes BMW,VOLVO,SAAB and SUBARU they call in outside companys.So you would not get a better job going to a main dealer,infact due to some of them using "one man bands" you could get a worse one.
Dont forget you get a lifetime warrenty on the replacement so its in Autoglass intrest to make sure the job is done right first time.
Old 23 January 2004, 09:50 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Nice one, cheers fella

Andy
Old 23 January 2004, 12:18 PM
SeanJames
Scooby Regular

Talking

No problem makes a change to be able to give out advise
Old 23 January 2004, 01:29 PM
Scooby_Dan.
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

As above, just have a look at the paint work around the screen, If they use cheese wire & stanly knife it's easly damaged, i know !!
They may use a btb cutting tool depends who you use. !

Danny
Bus & Coach Glazing
Old 23 January 2004, 02:44 PM
Eder22b
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

i had the same problem called autoglass.... top job
Old 24 January 2004, 12:28 AM
glassman
Scooby Regular

seanjames i hope you are not knocking the ability of the so- called one man bands are you, a lot of the guys out there and as you call them one man-bands do a top notch job most of them started fitting screens with the bigger companys then move on and start their own companys doing the same job for a cheaper price saving guys with expensive toys with no glass cover money,(ie like many of the owners on here.)
p.s bmw fit all there own glass, their techs have to go on factory courses.
Old 24 January 2004, 03:53 AM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

I had mine replaced last year, the car was only 2 months old and I picked up a starburst on my way to a residential course, I thought that was fair enough and I would get it injected at the weekend when I got home, only problem was it was - 5* on the friday morning and it crept all the way across. Got it booked in at RAC Autowindscreens in Inverness and they did a good job, the only complaint I have is they use their own branded windscreens and mine now has a RAC Autowindscreens badge etched onto the glass which looks a bit naff.