Sponsored by:

WRX or Seat Lean Cupra R 225

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2004, 07:48 AM
ex_scooby
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Silly question maybe on Scoobynet but does anyone have any experience of the new Seat? Its a couple of grand cheaper and does it not have a nicer interior? What about performance too? Should I consider one?
Old 16 January 2004, 08:10 AM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

Smile

can you get hold of one, my neighbour has been trying to get a test drive in a 225 Cupra but they are rarer than hens teeth
Old 16 January 2004, 08:36 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Nice car - FWD though, traction control is working hard a lot of the time, especially in the wet and it doesn't pull like a Scoob either. In theory more power than a standard UK classic but still over 7 secs to 60, about the same as a 206 GTi 180!

Performnce aside they are actually a very well put together car and many reviews seem to put them higher than the comparable VW offering which says something.
Old 16 January 2004, 08:42 AM
ex_scooby
Scooby Newbie

Do you reckon they would be less likely to be targeted for theft/jacking etc than a Scoob? Reason is I want another fast fun car as I traded the Scoob in for a diesel estate :-( due to family addittions but now they are a bit older and I don't have to lug quite so much crap about I want some smile factor with my car. However I don't want to be too paranoid about safety etc.
Am I getting to old for this lark by thinking this way or is it just a sign of the times?
Old 16 January 2004, 08:48 AM
adpd
Scooby Regular

Definately a sign of the times...

Take a look at http://iccoventry.icnetwork.co.uk/01...l&siteid=50003

Fricking disgraceful in my opinion

PS - I'm not trying to scare you.... these incidents haven't made me get rid of my car (yet)!
Old 16 January 2004, 08:59 AM
jezyg
Scooby Newbie

I owned a Leon Cupra the latest version. Was an excellent car overall, very well equipped good interior quality (dash is from an Audi A3). Front wheel scrabble was a problem and the handling won't be up to a Scooby IMHO. But I expect you to find the Cupra R more comfortable and like the Scooby it is a head turner even my Cupra never stopped getting starred at.

Like I said the biggest downside is 225Bhp going through the front wheels does make for interesting progress especially in the wet.

If you want a fast cruiser then go for the Cupra R or if it is handling utopia you are after go for the Scooby.
Old 16 January 2004, 09:06 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Cupra and especially the R is a big theft risk, know 2 people who have had theirs nidked - break in to the house to take the keys job as well, in part because they are a "performance" car and due to their current rareity.

For practicality go for a Scoob Wagon, less theft risk in general and still bags of room for all the stuff you need to lug about
Old 16 January 2004, 09:31 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

I have a black LCR 225 on order at the moment, thats due next month. I couldnt get a test drive in one, so I guess I will find out what its like in February !!

DAve
Old 16 January 2004, 09:32 AM
jezyg
Scooby Newbie

Sadly any performance car is a target Skoda Octavia,s have had similar problems. The old pole through the letterbox or breaking into your house to grab the keys is all too common these day's.

To be honest overall very few Cupra/Cupra R's have been stolen the impreza tends to be targeted as it is such a good getaway car for criminals. CTR's have also been getting stolen recently this is the price you pay for having a nice car in this country I am afraid!!
Old 16 January 2004, 11:02 AM
ex_scooby
Scooby Newbie

Looks like it has to be a stealth wagon ppp then. Power, handling, space for the family & stuff etc., reliability and reduced nickability. Pity it looks a bit naff though - probably the reason why the crims prefer to nick saloons.
Old 16 January 2004, 12:36 PM
WRX Wannabe
Scooby Regular

If i were you i would get the Cupra R 210bhp(should be able to get a good deal) and pop along to REVO pay £500 and get a chip upgrade and then you will have 260-270 bhp....fast enough
Old 16 January 2004, 12:37 PM
g60stu
Scooby Regular

I changed from a UK MY99 scoob to a Cupra R due to the Scoob getting vandalised. The Cupra R is a company car.

I noticed:
- 18" wheels are great, but 40 profile tyres can make the ride a bit harsh on bumpy roads, speed bumps etc.
- turbo lag is much less significant - this make "real life" driving in traffic much better
- gadget wise the Cupra R has everything you could need and it's all standard equipment, makes the Scoob equipment look very sparse
- traction fine in the dry, wet weather can be a problem but you learn to live with it
-320mm discs and brembo 4 pots as standard, brakes are awesome!!

I get just as much fun out of the Cupra R (if not more) as I did out of the Scoob. I miss the exhaust burble and 4wd, but that's about it. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Stu
Old 16 January 2004, 12:53 PM
ex_scooby
Scooby Newbie

G60STU what is the boot size like in the cupra, big enough to deal with 2 small kids? Not putting them in it of course

I am tempted with one especially as its rarer than the scoobs and has better equipment. What is the mid range like as I would summise it is pretty awesome.
I always drove my my99ppp scoob at 8/10ths due to the brakes being so prone to fade when driven hard. Its good to see the Seat has a good set of anchors. Am I allowed to say all this on here?
Old 16 January 2004, 12:56 PM
ex_scooby
Scooby Newbie

Look who spelt Leon wrongly in the title
Old 16 January 2004, 09:11 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

Ive owned a couple of MY03's and a Cupra R. The big problem with the R now is its price. Less than a year ago one of the dealerships on Cupranet would of sold you an R for £15,500. Now you will be lucky to get one for less than £17.5k new. Frankly the 225 is a rip off. 15bhp and an out of date tracker system for £1000 is out of order. For that money you could have a three month old WRX. Add another 3 months and what most people pay for a Cupra R, you could have a WRX with PPP.

I loved both my Cupra R and WRX, but at the same money there is only one winner. FWD is OK to a point, but I would always take the 4wd. I would also add that you need to add £400 to the price of the Cupra R, as std its a plain jane. Nice with a chip though

Jonathan
350Z
Old 16 January 2004, 10:42 PM
g60stu
Scooby Regular

ex-scooby,

boot is of ample size (depends how big yer kids are ) Easy to chuck loads of suit cases in the back. It's a pain to put the seats forward though - you have to remove the 3 rear headrests!

As far as mid range goes, Cupra R is great. Pulls well from low down. This suits my driving style much more. Doing 70/80 on the motorway in top it'll leave a standard uk impreza standing.

The other thing to note is that Cupra Rs are fairly new, so they haven't yet picked up that max power/boy racer stigma that imprezas are starting to pick up due to the price bracket that they are dropping into. Don't want to dis scooby's though - I'd own another one tomorrow, but they just aren't as practical for daily driving (and brakes are crap and people are jealous of Scoobs!!).

I would own both happily, but even at £18k the Cupra R is a seriously good deal and you must be able to pick up a second hand one much cheaper....

Stu
Old 17 January 2004, 01:06 PM
S Page
Scooby Regular

Don't discount the 180bhp Cupra, their £2.5k cheaper and with the 'Revo' chip (£500) can put out 240bhp. My missus bought one in November and got a cracking deal, almost 2k off the list price, got it in 3 days, in colour and spec she wanted, now all she needs to do is learn how to drive it.
Old 17 January 2004, 04:13 PM
sulli
Scooby Regular

Angry

Definately a sign of the times...

Take a look at http://iccoventry.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0100localnews/page.cfm?objectid=13816133&method=full&siteid=5000 3

Fricking disgraceful in my opinion

PS - I'm not trying to scare you.... these incidents haven't made me get rid of my car (yet)!
**** me - just down the road from me :O

Not really too bothered as I am always concious of who follows me, and am prepared to kill anyone who tries to take my car - but the missus sometimes drives it too. Saying that - she's pregnant and hormonal - anyone trying to mess with her would regret being born
Old 17 January 2004, 04:34 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Wink

All.

I've got an STi V. Leon pulled up behind me on the M40 and was just about 2 foot from back bumper! Sensed he wanted a burn up (must be my ESP!) so I put my foot down (in 5th gear) and poor old Leon fella was blitzed. I'm not joking when I say he was miles behind after just 30 secs. Stick with the Scoobs!

X.
Old 24 January 2004, 11:05 PM
fritz
Scooby Regular

Terminator x im not saying your not telling the truth, but i can tell the same story saying i left a scooby for dead in my 225r, fact is you never know what the other driver is thinking, what gear their in etc.

Old 25 January 2004, 07:37 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

If you need a big car, why not have a look at an Octavia vRS? They are as well equiped as a Leon and bigger. A quick trip to Jabbasport with £475 will see it up to 230bhp too!

They are also on 0% finance at the momment.

Flame suit zipped up but they are better put together (IMHO from all the Leons and Golfs I 've seen) than most of the VW cars as their factories are more modern !

Steve
Old 25 January 2004, 08:53 AM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

One problem with the Octavia is that an all new model is released later this year. Nice car though

Jonathan
Old 25 January 2004, 08:58 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

[Old shape Impreza owner mode]But it will be uglier, slower and in crappier than the classic Octavia[/Old shape Impreza owner mode]

Seriously though, the rumours are that if there is a new Tavia vRS, it will be a 2L TDi!

Steve
Old 25 January 2004, 11:31 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

I went MY00 > MY01 WRX > MY02 STi Type UK > MY03 Cupra > MY03 Cupra R 210 > MY03 Golf R32 AmD tuned 272bhp.

The Cupra R was a good car, but in November when the roads got slippery out here in the sticks and where I have a 40 mile cross country commute every day, I was fed up with the Leon scrabbling for grip and missed the last three years of AWD and changed to the Golf.

I was going to chip the Leon but that would have just made traction worse.

Oh, and in its way the Golf is the best of the bunch (IMHO, naturally )

[Edited by Dave T-S - 1/25/2004 11:32:35 AM]