Questions about Turbo's.....

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2004, 01:54 PM
Reptile
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a 2nd hand Impreza Turbo in the next month. Currently I have a 97 MGF with 26k on the clock. I'm hoping to part ex this for the best Turbo possible (although I can't afford insurance for a modded car), but my requirements are that is from 97 onwards, and must have less than 45k on the clock. I have upto £9000 to spend in total - including what I get for mine. Does this sound reasonable? A lot of the cars I have seen on the net seem to be very high mileage for this price.

Could anyone point me in the direction of a dealer that may be able to give me a good deal on the above? Or maybe someone is looking to part ex theirs?

Also, I'd like to know what the fuel economy would be like on a Turbo. I commute about 65 miles per day, which costs me about £7 a day in my MG. I can't afford to spend more than £10 a day. Would the Turbo's fuel economy work with these figures? The route is mostly A roads with a bit of town driving.

Finally, how expensive is maintenece? I have heard they are reliable - but are they expensive when things DO go wrong? Would I be able to take it into a standard garage and get work done on it without it costing a bomb?

Cheers for the info....hopefully things will work out and soon I'll be the proud owner of my first Impreza!

Old 09 January 2004, 02:26 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I'm looking to buy a 2nd hand Impreza Turbo in the next month. Currently I have a 97 MGF with 26k on the clock. I'm hoping to part ex this for the best Turbo possible (although I can't afford insurance for a modded car), but my requirements are that is from 97 onwards, and must have less than 45k on the clock. I have upto £9000 to spend in total - including what I get for mine. Does this sound reasonable? A lot of the cars I have seen on the net seem to be very high mileage for this price.
Don't be put off by relative high-miles. The Scoob is by no means a Rover Scoobs, in general, are very much like German cars in terms of reliability. Also, look at cars just over the 45K mark - this way you'll have another 45K miles before the 90K killer service - more on this later though

Could anyone point me in the direction of a dealer that may be able to give me a good deal on the above? Or maybe someone is looking to part ex theirs?
Depends on whether you want a UK or an Import - without going onto the whole UK/Import arguement (I'm sure others will do that!!), I've got a UK Turbo, but you do get more car for the money with an Import.

Also, I'd like to know what the fuel economy would be like on a Turbo. I commute about 65 miles per day, which costs me about £7 a day in my MG. I can't afford to spend more than £10 a day. Would the Turbo's fuel economy work with these figures? The route is mostly A roads with a bit of town driving.
They're cr@p. The only time I get half cr@p mileage is when I don't use it or idle around @ 30mph!
I use mine on a 125mile per week A-road jaunt to and from work. I put in £20 and it's just about OK. That's including going the Rally route somedays

On average though, you're looking at about 20-ish MPG.

Finally, how expensive is maintenece? I have heard they are reliable - but are they expensive when things DO go wrong? Would I be able to take it into a standard garage and get work done on it without it costing a bomb?
Through the dealers, it's pricey. Mine's now out of warrantee, so I'm using a 3rd party service agent (who services other Scoobs and rally cars, so I'm quite happy) Much cheaper As long as I've got FSH, nobody can quibble about the service record.

The big services are 30, 45, 60 & 90K. Alot of people havent seen much change from £500 ish for the services. The 90K at a dealer can cost over £900 However, it is very labour intensive - engine out job.

If/when things go wrong, it can be pricey. Just like the MGF, or any other car. Scoobs, again, like most marques: there are Friday-cars and ones that are really reliable.
MY98s suffered from piston slap, MY99 suffered from poor MAF sensors, MY00 suffered from a poor performance ECU - put an MY99 ECU in it and it goes like stink!! <flamesuit ON>

Hope this helps and all the best looking for the right car

And welcome to ScoobyNet - home of the paranoid car owner

Dan

edited to add about the services that I fogot to mention!!

[Edited by ScoobyDoo555 - 1/9/2004 2:29:28 PM]
Old 09 January 2004, 02:42 PM
Reptile
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for that advice. Judging from your estimate for the fuel economy I guess I will be looking at around £10 per day for my 65 mile trip (since you put in £20 to go 125 miles...) I'm kinda trying to justify it to myself though, in that quite often I go on the train, and including bus fairs that costs me just over a tenner a day. I'm guess I'm just used to getting a bit of a saving by going in the car......

Also, I'll bear in mind the 45k service, and adjust my searching accordingly. I guess a car that is either early-mid 30's or has had its 45k service is required. I'm still not keen on high mileage though - there seems to be something that grates with me about spending a lot of money (to me it is anyway) on a car that has over 60k miles on it. The price gap between low mileage cars and v.high mileage cars doesn't seem that big in some instances, judging by what I've seen.

Old 09 January 2004, 02:47 PM
ScoobyDean
Scooby Regular

er.. tell me more about the 90k service as im extremely worried now! Why on earth is it an engine out job? I have just bought an MY00 with 68,000 miles and full dealer service history. I think the next service for me is 75,000 & i'm not sure whether to go dealer or to a reputable local garage? But it seems to be creeping dangerousley towards the 90k!!!
Old 09 January 2004, 02:49 PM
ScoobyDean
Scooby Regular

er.. tell me more about the 90k service as im extremely worried now! Why on earth is it an engine out job? I have just bought an MY00 with 68,000 miles and full dealer service history. I think the next service for me is 75,000 & i'm not sure whether to go dealer or to a reputable local garage? But it seems to be creeping dangerousley towards the 90k!!!
Old 09 January 2004, 02:52 PM
SPLITTER
Scooby Regular

Buy one m8 !!
you wont give a monkeys about fuel when uve driven it
Old 09 January 2004, 02:58 PM
Matt P
Scooby Regular

The 90k service doesn't require the engine to come out at all. It is fairly labour intensive, true, but by far the biggest cost is the price of the bits. At today's fuel prices you should just about be able to do your 65 miles for a tenner. I get 23mpg out of my uk my99 around town and 30 on a run. They're pretty reliable, especially if you learn which warning signs you should be looking out for!

The biggest difference you'll notice cost-wise is insurance so make sure you get a quote before you buy one.

And I reckon £9k ought to buy you a uk my99 - 00 with 50k ish miles on the clock.

Happy hunting!

Trending Topics

Old 09 January 2004, 02:58 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Location: Lancaster/Manchester or stuck in a traffic jam somewhere in between
Try not to be too put off by the ongoing costs. At the end of the day, pays yer money..gets yer toy!
I do 125 miles a day, if Im taking it steady (which is quite hard I can get about 300 - 310 miles out of about £42
Before I bought mine (a 1999 UK spec with all the toys, not that theres that many of them!) I checked out the same stuff as you are looking into and I nearly didnt buy it. But it really is worth it, you'll suddenly find an new enthusiasm for getting up for work in the morning and actually look forward to driving to work

J
Old 09 January 2004, 03:05 PM
Reptile
Scooby Newbie

I can't wait to take one for a test drive! Just for the record, I'll be looking at getting a UK spec, not an import just for insurance reasons. I got a rough quote this morning from Tescos, and it IS quite a bit more than my MG, but having said that its a much higher insurance group. Either way, its just about within my budget....my insurance is high anyway since I'm 22 without any no-claims.

Just wanna sell/px my car asap so that I can get driving an Impreza!
Old 09 January 2004, 03:12 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

I use Tescos as well, they were miles cheaper than any others I got quotes from.

What kind of budget are you looking at for buying the car?

J
Old 09 January 2004, 03:15 PM
Reptile
Scooby Newbie

I have a budget of around 9k, and would like to fetch around 5.5-6k for my existing car.

My insurance quote is 2k, which is a lot of money - hope its worthwhile and I dont need to claim!

Old 09 January 2004, 03:22 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Well, 9K should get you something nice and clean.
I would suggest you try and get a 1999 model (refered to as MY99)
as out of the uk spec cars (classic shape) they generally have a slighty better spec such a brake upgrade from 2 to 4 pot callipers, new engine (an extra 7 BHP over previous years, on paper anyway), facelift front end (air dam & vents) etc etc
If I have missed anything out Im sure someone will correct/add to the list. I would also recommend you try and find one with aircon as well, better for when u come to sell on.

Fully comp?

J
Old 09 January 2004, 03:25 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Sorry - didn't mean to cause panic about the 90K

some dealers will take the engine out to change the cam belt. Especially if you've got air-con (the rads right in the way!)

My first Turbo - I got shot of it just at the 90K, so it didn't bother me too much.

My current MY99 has got 75K, and the local dealer quoted me £230 for the interim service. Erm, NOOOOOO!!!! I don't think so!!!
Called aonther dealer and the price came down to £170. Still alot for what is just an interim service.

My 3rd-party garage (the one mentioned in my 1st post will do it for £90. Using genuine Subaru parts.

The Import insurance is slightly higher, but again, weigh up the costs of a better car.

Also, Tesco ain't the cheapest by far. The downside is, sorry to say, your age. I'm 30, living in the countryside in an exclusive area (relatively). Car has a fair few mods, and is parked on the drive - not garaged. Got a claim against me, and an SP30. With or without the Tracker, I pay about £700 per year.

That's with Frizell/Liverpool Victoria. Shop around.

Personally, miles doesn't bother me, and isn't the hassle it used to be. What interests me more, is previous owner - rep or enthusiast (somebody who'd looked after it) and of course, FSH.

You should get an MY99 for that money too

Dan
Old 09 January 2004, 03:28 PM
Reptile
Scooby Newbie

Question

Yeah thats fully comp. I think the insurance hurdle is the main thing thats holding me back on the subaru. My quote of 2k was for a 96 model, if I'm going for a 99 it's gonna go yet higher. Not that I don't want newer of course! Just a case of working the finances out.

I've contemplated getting a slightly larger loan and paying the years insurance in one lump sum, so I don't have to worry about paying monthly until I have one years no claims and am 23....not sure if this is a good idea or not?
Old 09 January 2004, 03:40 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

ScoobyDoo555

Also, Tesco ain't the cheapest by far
I wasnt saying they are the cheapest fullstop, just adding that I happened to find them the cheapest for me as well. Im 28, live in a low risk area (small village), with 3 yrs NCB and no points, no tracker. I checked out the company you have mentioned and they were about £300 more expensive. I suppose its probably different for each person really and ultimately would agree with what you're say about shopping round before signing on the dotted line

J

[Edited by Jay_bee - 1/9/2004 3:48:18 PM]
Old 09 January 2004, 03:54 PM
Reptile
Scooby Newbie

Does anyone know of any good dealers up north (nearish sheffield) that would be a good place to look for a MY99 for around 9k? Part exchange of my car would be preferable, and I want to start looking this weekend.

Old 09 January 2004, 04:31 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

You'll probably have a better response on your last question if you post a new thread here...

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/Forum.asp?ForumID=23

Keep us posted if you sort anything out.

Bit of advice tho...
...dont take one for a test drive if you cant realistically afford the insurance + car because
A, no one likes a test pilot
B, it will drive u nuts if u cant afford one... coz you'll love it

J
Old 09 January 2004, 04:56 PM
Reptile
Scooby Newbie

Talking

There isn't a problem as to whether i can afford it, its more to with the question of whether I'm prepared to spend that much on a car!

I can imagine it must get annoying having people come round and drive your car without buying it, but then again I certainly aint gonna tread on eggshells with regards to making sure its in good condition. 9k is too much money to spend on a car that you havent driven/or been pressured into buying.
Old 09 January 2004, 05:11 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Thats what I mean tho, until you're 100% that you are willing to spend that amount of money (not a case of you cant) I would hold off taking one out. And I agree, if you do go to look at one, dont be afraid to ask questions.. ask away, and if you're not happy with the answers you're getting, leave it, there's always another one waiting round the corner somewhere.

Happy hunting

J
Old 09 January 2004, 05:31 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Re high milage cars...

It's not the number of miles thats the problem, it's how well it's been looked after and how those miles are driven. I've done 183,000 in mine with no major issues. Still on the original turbo. I've gone through 2 90k services. The first main dealer (ouch), the second time through an independant.

And regarding MPG. You don't by this type of car if you want a decent MPG. Saying that, I regulary get 28mpg out of mine and I don't (always) drive like an old woman...
Old 12 January 2004, 10:35 AM
Reptile
Scooby Newbie

Well, thats really what I'm looking for. I'm not planning on totally thrashing my car to work and back every day, so I would hope that a MPG of 20-25 is easily attainable. Having said that when I want to floor it a bit I don't especially want the MPG to suddenly plummet to silly numbers. I was looking at an RX7 before the Impreza and the main thing that put me off was the MPG - some people claiming around 11 mpg was normal - now THAT is ridiculous and I'd never be able to maintain that kind of fuel economy every day.

It would be costing be about £20 a day to get to work!

Old 12 January 2004, 10:58 AM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Well, I usually get anywhere from 240 - 310 miles from a full tank, which usually costs around £42 - £45 so its not as bad as 11MPG

J
Old 12 January 2004, 01:38 PM
Subarstar
Scooby Regular

Recently bought MY98 Turbo. Used to drive RWD German motor - (sorry guys)
Anyway, get yourself a turbo and don't worry too much about the fuel consumption. You won't be disappointed.
RWD German motor just doesn't compare!
Also with regard to insurance, you will probably find that after you have had the car for a year, your quote will reduce a good bit.
Insurance companies will see you as more of a risk (initially) coz you haven't been driving a high performance motor!