Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone gone tuned Scooby to Skyline.....

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2004, 02:08 PM
JamesS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interested in comments....currently have a 330PS (ish) UK Wagon, how would it compare to a std R33 V-spec for a) performance b) dynamics?

Cheers......
Old 06 January 2004, 02:13 PM
bits'n'pieces
Scooby Regular

you can tune the engine to 500 + Bhp, that should do you for starters, the MPG will be rather less than the scoob !
Old 06 January 2004, 02:15 PM
CustomScoobyIOM
Scooby Regular

Heavier car tho rememeber!
Old 06 January 2004, 02:19 PM
jmk
Scooby Regular

Scoob probably better handler in twisty rough stuff, Skyline much better on a smoother road with longer flowing bends.

No such thing as a standard Skyline. Get 500bhp and see 6-8 mpg on the track and few cars will touch one regardless of cost. Spend £25k - £30k on the engine (3 lt block) and chassis and it'll be faster than almost any road legal car regardless of price. I friend will have close to 700bhp when his is finished.
Old 06 January 2004, 02:35 PM
JamesS
Scooby Regular

Realise the tuning potential is there......

One of the things I admire most in the Scooby is the B-road dynamics and the ability to absorb shocking (!) lumps / bumps - would it be fair to say the Skyline would not perform at its best under these conditons?
Old 06 January 2004, 02:41 PM
CustomScoobyIOM
Scooby Regular

Skyline will be close, but not as good as a properly setup Scooby IMO. Even with its 4WD steering.

Old 07 January 2004, 07:41 AM
JamesS
Scooby Regular

Anyone else?
Old 07 January 2004, 11:11 AM
Gez
Scooby Regular

I moved from an Sti 6 Type R V-LTD with Link ecu, 550cc injectors, fmic and a few other bits and bobs! The power was just over 350bhp and one day i decided to have a drag race with a freind who has an R33 Gtr V-spec with stage 1 mods inc induction, full exhaust, decat and ecu. I beat him up to 40mph and then he whent passed me like i was standing still. That in itself was enough for me to buy an r33 onlt to find that it slides alot more than my scoob BUT the power and noise it makes is unbeatable. I would go for a propper R33 with nice mods. I now have an R34 GTR with a load of goodies and i have never looked back appart from the cr*p fuel bills that i get when i thrashing it about

Cheers

Gerry
Old 07 January 2004, 11:49 AM
C
Scooby Regular

Smile

You would lose out on he very tight & twisty roads, but on the average road, with the average driver, there wouldnt be a huge amount in it

However, the car can take 550/600bhp on the standard bottom end if its done right, there are plenty out there doing just that.

Try doing that in a Scooby

It's the next step IMO Scoob to Evo to Skyline....
Old 07 January 2004, 12:27 PM
JamesS
Scooby Regular

Muuummm still not sure. Love the B-road ability of the scooby, the more mud and lumps and ruts the better!

Power to weight wise my scooby is about 240PS/tonne (inc me!), the Skyline would have to have 400ish PS just to maintain this. I think after 400PS on a Skyline it will get very expensive?

A 2.5ltr on my Scooby would yield about 305PS/T with the Skyline then needing around 500PS!!!!!!

I would say that the GTR is the more `mature` and exclusive vehicle - but that is just so much waffle, for me it is about the driving experience.......
Old 07 January 2004, 12:40 PM
Johnny50
Scooby Regular

You should speak to Kartman. You'll get him under the scottish section.
He runs a P1, and a highly modded R33 GTR (which is for sale)

He could give you some advice and feedback.

Johnny
Old 07 January 2004, 12:42 PM
EVOVI
Scooby Regular

I think you would struggle to find an R33 gtr without 400bhp.It really only takes exhaust,filters and a little increase of the boost to run that power and most have that done.You could easily get over 400 maybe 450 if you get a powerfc properly mapped and still be running standard injectors,fuel pump,turbos and intercooler.It`s only when you go over that you need to start changing parts.
But be warned they are not as bulletproof as people make out and when they let got you are going to need deep pockets.Mine was running about 430 bhp and the big end went,so the engine is in the process of a re-build but even though it is costing a fortune to fix I still love the car and can`t wait to get it back.
You won`t regret buying a skyline believe me.....
Old 07 January 2004, 03:20 PM
Gangle
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine has a R33 GTR V-spec. It’s a nice car all round , solid, reliable, powerful, interior is typical Jap, not as poor as our scoobs… I would love to have one. But it’s the whole practically things that bugs me. I can drive my car every day, to the shops & back etc, shopping, I can park it without too mush worry of people doing it over. My opinion is that the GTR is a great weekend car which is what he uses it for. It’s more of a tourer; it’s a great big cumbersome beast, loads of power and loads of torque. On straights he leave me for dead on average roads with holes and poor surfaces roundabouts etc, its equal, It does have a tendency to slide though. . He’s had his fair share of jealous kicks, dinks etc. But you expect that I suppose.... Overall it’s a great car, but it depends on what you’re looking to use it for.
I'm sure everyone will have an opinion..