Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Embarased for UK scoobs

Search this Thread

Old 25 December 2003, 03:09 AM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
**This post generated the wrong impression. I have not edited it, but have made a reply aimed at what I really meant**

I am a subaru lover.....in a big way!!!! but I have always driven Jap scoobs.....I currently own a V5 TypeR.

I got the opertunity to have a ride in a standard MY00 UK scoob, I was actually rather upset.

I now understand why other sports car drivers say they beat subarus. It was soooooooo dissapointing, my mates Alfa Romeo 156 felt faster.

This is not a dig at any UK scoobs as I know most people uprate them, but please......comon Subaru UK!!!

I just hope that the new STI TypeUK have more go in them. It was really upsetting to feel the difference between what I went in and a Jap car.

Unfortunatly, I think that has just settled the fact that I will never never never buy a UK car!!!

Regards,
A VERY dissapointed Scoob owner

[Edited by Gedi - 12/25/2003 3:43:57 PM]
Old 25 December 2003, 03:20 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

maybe. remember tho that your type r has like 30% more power than the uk scoob... and more if u have mods. maybe thats why it felt slow. or maybe there was just something wrong with the uk car or it wasnt being pushed enough.

other stuff (brakes, suspension) are probably better (for you) on your type r. so yeah - if u were hoping the uk model was going to be similar in power to your type r u were gonna be disappointed.
Old 25 December 2003, 05:33 AM
exesspeed
Scooby Regular

Smile

yea i know what you mean, ive driven a few uk scoob,s and frankly they are S--T i asked the owners if they reg, get beaten by cars they thought they would trounce, and they said yes sireebob, imports , as std seem better in more than just power, like i said absolute PANTS
Old 25 December 2003, 09:18 AM
CataIunya
Scooby Regular

True as standard the uk ones are pretty watered down, but some must be better than others I have timed 0-60 in my my97 with my accelorometer at 5.2 secs thats pretty fast for just decat and tall uk gears. An ecutek will take you to 280 bhp quite easily and cheaply get a decent setup of suspension etc and theres not gonna be a great deal of difference........all IMHO
Old 25 December 2003, 09:21 AM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Why be embarrased seen as you don't own one? If the owner of the MY00 is happy then so be it.

Also, Confuscious says "There is much more to car than just straight line speed"

Old 25 December 2003, 10:33 AM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

Red face

In my opinion, you're talking bollox ! Are you seriously trying to imply that a difference of 40-50bhp between UK and JDM cars is the difference between eating Porsches for breakfast and getting trounced by Alfa 156's ?

Maybe your mate wasn't booting it, maybe he's not fixated on beating every other car that tries to pass him. And yes, I have a UK car and I have no problem keeping up with WRXs and STis in anything other than straightline speed i.e the real world !

The ability to make good progress is so much more than about who's got the most horsepower, the biggest factor being driver ability, or lack thereof. Something not required for straightline shootouts.

I've driven many scoobs, UK and JDM and think all of them are great, and all have their subtle differences, but its horses for courses.

Please lets not get into the 'my cars better than you car' thing - they're ALL great cars, UK or JDM, thats why we drive them. There really is no need to create separate factions for UK, JDM, modded, or non-modded cars. We're all Subaru fans at the end of the day.

Happy Christmas.

T
Old 25 December 2003, 10:36 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Your mate's Alfa 156 may have felt faster but it probably isn't

I understand what you mean though as I bought an MY00 UK (well EU ) and then discovered Scoobynet etc. and then drove some STi's and realised I'd bought the wrong car!! (if I had known then what I know now etc....)

I have now got an STi but it had to be a UK (well EU again ) car 'cos I just can't insure JDM cars where I live. If I could, I would be the proud owner of an STi 5 RA V-Ltd!!

I'm sure many many UK owners are happy with their choice because often buying a car has to suit a whole host of criteria, not just the highest performance available for the £.

Matt
Old 25 December 2003, 10:43 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
well said Matt, especially the bit about STi 5 RA V-Ltd (even though it is called STi 5 RA Ltd drop the V man )

UK Scoobies are great cars, just not as great as JDM. Shame really, lets hope they rectify that soon.
Old 25 December 2003, 10:57 AM
sonu
Scooby Regular

Here, here. I love my UK '99 car. It's all about driver ability and the odd modification

Thanks

Sonu
Old 25 December 2003, 11:06 AM
Madjay
Scooby Regular

u always hear on this board of that uk scoobs need just about everything changed on them to make handle/stop/go faster they seem to be really naff straight out of the box. not owning one i wouldnt know just going by what is knocked about on this forum.

hopefully in a few years time i'll have myself an untainted sti4/5 type R
Old 25 December 2003, 12:01 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

In my years on here Ive read a lot, but

This is not a dig at any UK scoobs as I know most people uprate them, but please......comon Subaru UK!!!

I just hope that the new STI TypeUK have more go in them. It was really upsetting to feel the difference between what I went in and a Jap car.

Unfortunatly, I think that has just settled the fact that I will never never never buy a UK car!!!
Why is it come on Subaru UK ? Surely they are catering for all tastes. The P1 isnt that different to your car. The new STI UK can be bought with 300bhp. Thats more powerfull than a std JDM car, including yours. Every owner of a Scooby from 97 onwards can add a PPP. They are hardly slow. As for a UK car feeling slower than a 156, then I'm gobsmacked and have to feel that you will wake up at some point.

As other have said. Outright speed isnt everything. Not everyone can afford insurance on cars that hit 60 in under 5 seconds.
Others might not want to risk the cost of a rebuild on a JDM car.

Its horses for courses. For such a crap car, its sold quite a few. One of EVO's favourite Scoobies is the RB5, and that in essence is a std UK car with bigger wheels.

Jonathan

ex STI V, P1, Std Scooby etc
Old 25 December 2003, 12:12 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

I also think your talking ****, i took out a type "R" from a standing start to over something stupid MPH in my only slightly modded UK and the bloke in the type "R" was well pi55ed off, his words were "thats faster than it looks" so take your type "R" theory turn it on its head and go and eat some more turkey cos thats what your talking mate
Old 25 December 2003, 12:13 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I modded my MY99 UK to about 275bhp for £900 and then sold the mods for about the same. When modified the car was import fast and very driveable and enjoyable. Safe to say UK's can be made fast and for very little money. I'd like an STI 6 Type-R next though
Old 25 December 2003, 12:39 PM
Gus M
Scooby Regular

Wink

Does it EMBARRASS you as much as poor spelling?
Sell the car if you are so DISAPPOINTED.
Old 25 December 2003, 12:41 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You might want to read the first post a little closer Gus
Old 25 December 2003, 01:10 PM
scoobchrissy
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Gedi pmsl go back to bed
Old 25 December 2003, 01:13 PM
lenny b
Scooby Regular

alfa 156 is a great car had a 1.8 & 2.0 my mate has 2.5 v6 .to be honest i really enjoyed them but my 00my is much quicker ,the 2.5 v6 top speed is there or there abouts.they handle well and ive lost count on how many trips to italy and the south of france they did .
they are worthless @ 3yrs + and as exspencive as scoobs to service and repair and most dealers are crap,interested selling only.
Old 25 December 2003, 01:40 PM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

I have read some rubbish on here since I joined long ago! But that takes some beating! My standard MY99 did 13.7 down the strip in the old days! And was beaten 0-60 only by an 22B bouncing off the limiter at trax in 2000. Sure the Sti has got more power and is faster but how anyone could be disapointed is beyond me?
Old 25 December 2003, 02:07 PM
BlackScoobyWRX
Scooby Regular

Scott - tell 'em about your 'slow' UK version WRX m8 !!

I too drive an STi V5 but I do know there are some very quick modded UK versions out there so best not generalise. The great thing about Scoobs is they can be just you want them to be - each to their own I say !!

Merry Christmas
Old 25 December 2003, 03:35 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

Appologies to anyone who took my post in the wrong way. I did not mean it offend. After reading it back, I realise I tried to get my point accross in the wrong way.

The car I was in was still a fantastic car, and I would have been proud to own it. My point was, why are the UK cars to a lower spec? To me it was a little upsetting when I know what the cars are capable of in comparison to a Jap car.

With regards to the Alfa statement, I used the word 'felt'. I did not say that it was, I do not know the performance figures, and I am not comparing quater mile times.

Please don't put words in my mouth about Porche eating scoobs, and me saying UK scoobs are a load of sh*te. I did not say that, nor did I say most of the other things people were mentioning.

[Edited by Gedi - 12/25/2003 3:48:37 PM]
Old 25 December 2003, 04:00 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

shame the post wasnt made by pslewis

now that would have been sumthing special lol
Old 25 December 2003, 05:03 PM
Eder22b
Scooby Regular

Hey You Can't slag off a uk car like that.
Like other i would own a jdm if i could but being just 21 and living in east london thats all i could have for the time being.I still think they are fantastic cars and faster than most things on the road(believe me everyone round here tries to take me on).
We really shouldnt get into the whole "my car is better than your car"thing.in the end of the day we are all scooby lovers and should respect each other.

Happy christmas everyone

EDER
Old 25 December 2003, 05:57 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Smile

I agree with the 156 part. I owned a 2.0 selespeed after my Series McRae.

The Alfa has very low gearing, 5th is lower than a UK Scoobs 4th gear. The Alfa also screams to the red line where the scoob burbles without sounding stressed.
The difference is the Alfa screams it's way through it's gears quickly giving an impression of speed.

But just to clear up.... a UK Scoob would destroy a 156 2.5V6 and leave a 2.0TS or selespeed for dead. I have tried to keep up on scooby meets when I had the Alfa and I have been left shaking my head wishing I had the Scoob back.

Also travelling at speed is totally different. 110mph in a 156 feels like your doing mega speed with all the engine and road noise combined with the razor sharp steering, 110mph in a UK scoob feels like your cruising.

Lee
Old 25 December 2003, 06:23 PM
EvoCarl
Scooby Regular

lets face it.

a 600 quid Astra GTE 16v gives a uk scoob trouble

happy xmas all

:me hides from flames
Old 25 December 2003, 06:26 PM
i8gtmf
Scooby Regular

Don't be embarased on my behalf iv'e got a uk a late classic one of the last ok it's not as quick as some but it's a dam sight quicker than the Mondeo i had been driving for the last 4 years.It's the first scoob iv'e owned and for the money i paid for it a could easily have gone down the import route but i didn't want the hassle of warrenties (or the lack of),fuel additives and all that.
As far as run ins with other cars the only 2 cars that have tried anything in the 5 months of ownership have been a 3 series bmw and some local ***'ed in his beat up rover 800 ??? even in my snails pace uk they didn't put up much of a fight.

Dave
Old 25 December 2003, 06:29 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

Hey You Can't slag off a uk car like that.
for ***** sake I wasn't slagging them off. I was meerly making an observation and commenting on it.

I have already said that my original post was written incorrectly and have tried to explain. I haven't edited my original post so people can follow the thread without wondering what is going on.

I do not want this to turn into a 'my car is better than your car' post. I hate posts that follow that route and do not want to be an instigator to one.

For the last time......UK or JDM scoob, each to their own. Both top cars. I was just a little upset that UK Subaru didn't release them with the same power as their JDM counterparts.
Old 25 December 2003, 06:39 PM
PETENAUD
Scooby Regular

right i can give a good view of this cos i have a uk 97 turbo, and the girlfriend has a 96 sti, si i get to drive both types.

Every day driving - prefere the uk, better on motorways and more relaxed. Want to go for a quick blast, the sti feels better.

I bought the uk spec cos for every day i prefered it over the jdm.

Both of them are superb and i cant say either one is better than the other.

If you think uk cars are cr*p you are talking cack, it depends on what u want. Idont slag of or criticise (sp) other makes, it depends on what u want from the car.

For the record i work in the motor industry and have driven nearly every make & model of production car, and for me the uk scooby is up there in the top 10, and £ for bhp / handeling there is not much to beat.

I could list a load of reasons why the jdm car is not as good for me, but end of the day its personal and depends on what u want. If its "my car got more BHP than yours" type thing then i feel sorry for you, that just Boy racer for i am a tw*t.

Both uk & jdm are superb.

Sorry mate, but if you are disapointed, go and drive a metro, cos they are cr*p.

Old 25 December 2003, 06:42 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Why do we always have these big debates about uk cars not been upto that of the jdms? We all know the figures speak for themselves!
Old 25 December 2003, 07:22 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

what figures are they then mark?

cos if your talking 1/4 mile figures
Old 25 December 2003, 07:29 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Im saying a JDM will **** all over a uk car, u prooved this at Elvington!!!!!

Quick Reply: Embarased for UK scoobs