Sponsored by:

Fiat Coupes Vs....

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2003, 02:44 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Had a bit of spare time and as my mate has just bought a Fiat Coupe 20v turbo I thought I would go on Fiat Coupe owners club website to see what mods he could do to keep up with me. Couldn't help but step inside the "Coupe Vs" thread...it was 36 pages long!

Here are the v entertaining findings:
(ALL DIRECT QUOTES!)

P.P.S Our fastest model does 60 under 4 and and 217 MPH.
its called an ENZO.

So have Fiat got a racing pedigree....have they won the WRC? heard of branding? Who instigated multiple championship winning rally cars. For your information it was a little known car.. Lancia Delta ring any bells?
I wont get into the the scarlet cars pedigree....Without that car, you wouldnt have your car.
P.s wheres Subarus heritage? made a 'reputation' over the last 10years. No heritage yet my son.

jealoussssssssssssss

Well, if a performance car has to look like it's ram-raided the styling section in Halfords and everything stuck then I'd rather drive slowly

A lot of us have raced scooby's and won, is that impossible according to you? How many races have you actually had off the lights? A rolling start even from 30mph upwards would result in a win for the coupe 20vt. I would never say I'd keep up in the twisties (standard scooby drive excuse), although that mainly depends on drivers anyway, but on the move it just is a fast sportscar. Even a lot of guys at scoobynet recon you shouldn't mess with a coupe.

Let's just leave it at this and make sure you wave when a coupe passes

For example why shouldnt Schuy be able to out drive someone in a Scooby if he was in a coupe? what sort of fccukin argument is that? id put money on him outdriving them in a Punto let alone a coupe.
Do Ferrari's Lamborghinis look more like a coupe? or a subaru? Full stop

for a standard subaru impreza turbo, ive seen 0 - 100mph times as slow as 18.7 seconds, even the WRX only does it in 16.1 secs.

Look at Top Gear, EVO, Autocar whichever, and you're looking at 0-100 15.5-18 secs. I've driven Scooby's of several types STI's P1's etc, I've raced them several times, and the Coupe can more than hold its own, even over twisty short sprint circuits!

You poor deluded fools. You buy a Scoob cos their marketing department tells you its good. We buy Coops cos we have brains, style and a sense of individuality. Smell what you're being shovelled!

The driver of the P1 on the A14 was racing, and he was racing hard. He was also going backward compared with my Coop. He got the jump on me from about 60 (I was still in 5th gear - doh!) Caught him by 100, passed him by 120, left him by 130, forgot all about him by 150. This was not a straight bit, it was WELL twisty at 140+. He bottled it. 4wd is pointless on dry tarmac, and even in the wet after about 60mph.

Final indignation - when I was sprinting my Coop, I was NEVER beaten by an Impreza (or an EVO for that matter). In fact, I even beat an EVO by about four seconds (on a 73 second run) in the wet. Dare say if the EVO had been piloted by a rally driver, he would have beaten me, but it wasn't, and he didn't

obviously SCOOBY has been whuuped by a coupe..!

I had a few races wiv scoobs in my GT4, they are quick but not THAT quick! The GT4 is a better jap 4wd rally car in every way..

I managed to get an Audi S4 Avant to pull over for me today. Mind you I was about a foot from his bumper all the way to 80. Nothing in it at all. He was probably too scared. Rightly so!

Had a run in with an Evo 7 or 8 last night not sure which one it was ? Anyway rolling start ((top end of second))he was behind me so I put my foot down moved over into inside lane and at about 100 he was along side my drivers door then we had to slow for traffic but I was sure if the road was longer he would have came past? Any ideas how these things go? Timings etc? Is there something wrong with my motor?....This car amy not have been standard I would have thought that a standard evo would have trouble

I would not give up all hope against an RS4, My Brother has a highly modded S2 estate and his brother in law has an RS4 they both raced at the weekend on a nice dual carrigeway and S2 had the edge over RS4 and the last time my coupe whent up against the S2 it was pretty even upto about 110mph from a roling start? Once past the 110 mark his pulled away like a steam train. So I personally would give one ago upto a ton from a rolling start?

'I find BMW M3's are always worth a pop. They are normally driven by nutters like us, and you smile alot while you are playing, it tends to be good fun.
I have a "colleague" who has a Scooby Pizza, and quite an arrogant chap he was too. Wasn't even talking to him when he announced to a group that my coop was "slower" than a Z3 1.8, and was a "hairdressers" car. To that sound of a large metal glove hitting the floor, i took his challange!
Purely a speed test was arranged and we each had to carry a "witness".

Needless to say he was a little upset as i motored past him at 145-150 when his Korean take-away ran out of "go" '

I've raced a couple of scooby's.
The standard one's are faster up to sixty but after that you pull them in and fly past them quite easily

I had a run in with a P1 on a stretch of road between Reading and Oxford (single carriageway). He blasted down a road, and I was unable to quite keep up - but! I overtook him on a roundabout - he didnt expect that!
Basically the P1 desperately wanted to go past me after that, but due to my speed, and his lack of timing was unable to overtake me. (coupe running 340bhp)

I'd rather be seen in a gorgeous piece of Italian exotica than a crap ugly heap of Jap ****e

Had a Boxster a couple of weeks ago leaving a roundabout in second onto an clear dual Carriageway he was sniffing my bumper so i floored it he kept up, 110 in third, fourth to 140+ looked in my mirror to see a small and probably pissed off porsche

Anyway....recently shat on a Nissan R32 skyline.....they are just too big & bargy....looks like they need 8 wheel drive....

Had a blast with a P1 on a dual carriageway after coming out of a roundabout and there was absolutely nothing in it!! He could not get away, although I have to admit it was a completely straight road

16VT, Have rarely had anyone away from the lights apart from the odd RS, Golf VR6 (not the 4 motion though) etc, but coupe's are great for track days where the power is there when you want it - I have had 2 x 911's including a GT2, A Ferrari 348, Jag XJR and Scooby Pressies away from roundabouts, tightish bends etc. In fact anywhere requiring best acceleration between 30 and 60. Also, top speed tends to shock.......all my mates have vowed I have the fastest car they've been in

END

So funny some of this stuff...just thought I would share it.

Bob

Old 19 December 2003, 03:06 AM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

I'd rather be seen in a gorgeous piece of Italian exotica
lol

I know a lot of people kid themselves on this websites about scoobies being the king of the road, but calling a Fiat Coupe 'exotica' is a bit OTT.

[Edited by JohnMcC - 12/19/2003 3:06:41 AM]
Old 19 December 2003, 05:28 AM
H18JGM
Scooby Regular

Scoobies certainly aint the best by a long way, but they can at least still grip the road when it rains!

I had a blast in a Fiat 20V Turbo a few years ago, got to give it it's due - it was a quick car, but as soon as the roads even though about being damp it wheelspun nearly uncontrollably [sp?]everywhere!
Old 19 December 2003, 09:09 AM
slimtim
Scooby Regular

Cool

Bob, sorry but.....

Fiat has got a heritage, if you take a look at the latst Ferrari formula 1 car look what the largest badge on the front says...Fiat.

Surely you do know that Fiat own Ferrari, and the Fiat coupe came out of the same factory as the Ferrari's.

As for figures, you seem to find it really hard to accept some of the comments. On the thread you are reffering i think you will find most of the people have a real respect for the Subaru. I certainly do. But its each to their own.

The figures speak for themselves 0- 100 in a Fiat coupe takes 14.5, a standard uk scooby 15.8. All the speed intially comes from the 4 wheel drive, giving you a 0 - 30 of over a second quicker than the coupe. After that its all coupe, 2 wheel drive, more horespower and more tourque.

Obviously round corners the 4wheel rive will see many a coop off due to traction coming out of the corner.

As for some of the other cars, like earlier BMW M3's, Audi S4's if you look at the in gear times of these cars you will see that again in a straight line the fiat coupe marginly faster, any race would be down to driver skill more than the car.

'Exotica' : ) i like the sound of that

I did quote some figures, maybe wrongly, from Quarter Mile Rivals

Anyway, its all just a bit of banter, and no offence meant

[Edited by slimtim - 12/19/2003 9:11:05 AM]
Old 19 December 2003, 09:11 AM
ianc
Scooby Regular

One word...

Tipo

Old 19 December 2003, 09:22 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
In the interests of factuality:
EVO magazine quotes a time of 14.6 secs for a classic standard UK Impreza 0-100

It mentions the Coupe Turbo but doesn't quote a 0-100 time for some reason.

I've had a crack at a Coupe Turbo and was a good few car lengths ahead upto about 80. After that I'm pretty sure he'd have been faster if I hadn't given up at 100mph. They are good, quick cars but comparing them to a Ferrari? That's just laughably stupid.

[Edited by NACRO - 12/19/2003 9:22:39 AM]
Old 19 December 2003, 09:24 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

I don't want to start a flame war or my cars better than yours but my mate here in Germany has a 20V coupe and he can not keep up with me in my standard MY00 Subaru, the only time he has ever managed to keep up was when he fitted a manual boost thingy then he caught me, went briefly past me then disappeared behind me again.

Also the Subaru is not a pretty car but that Fiat is Definately the Fugliest car on the planet, far worse than the bugeye ever was.

[Edited by Wurzel - 12/19/2003 9:25:54 AM]
Old 19 December 2003, 09:30 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

20VT is a great car but many of the owners of them have their heads in the clouds. My classic is now standard and I have been in a standard 20vt - granted its quicker above 60mph but not by much and certainly wouldn't have come flying past when my car was modded (remember I bought my mods for £900 and sold them for £900 so they were free). Its also the case that the UK turbo is the lowest of the turbo range of scoobys and the 20vt (and the plus) is the top of the range coupe turbo.

Both very good cars but meant for different things - no point arguing about it IMHO
Old 19 December 2003, 10:06 AM
Silvafox
Scooby Regular

My last car was a 20VT and they are quick but traction is crap as they're trying to put 220bhp through the front wheels even though they have a basic traction control. Build quality is reeeealy crap too. However, its was good to drive, stood out a bit amongst the crowd in the styling department and the turbo whistled nicely with a serious induction roar on full boost!
Old 19 December 2003, 10:10 AM
slimtim
Scooby Regular

Silvafox, you say build quality was crap, what problems did you have ? Generally i have found mine absolutly excellent in that department. Maybe you got a Friday fit one

Also how come you decided to downgrade, was it for the winter to get the extra traction

[Edited by slimtim - 12/19/2003 10:14:11 AM]
Old 19 December 2003, 10:18 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Don't rise to it peeps
Old 19 December 2003, 10:46 AM
Silvafox
Scooby Regular

Slimtim, probably did have a friday car! Interior trim was badly fitted and rattled and squeeked, bodywork had black overspray around the arches (the car has never been resprayed and I've seen this on several other cars now) Wheels bubble up and age really quickly even when looked after. Shutlines that you could put you finger in. Bonnet struts that break every two years. But like I've already stated, the car was excellent in performance and I like the looks of them..otherwise I wouldn't have bought one! As for downgrading to an STI7.....hmmmm are you sure about that?!
Old 19 December 2003, 11:18 AM
lmsbman
Scooby Regular

I owned a 20vT for a couple of years and have to say it was a great car. As with all high performance cars it took a bit of getting used to. If you did floor it in 1st gear then all you would get is wheel spin. However, once you got the hang of it, it was a very quick car. Mine was a 5 speed and therefore would do 75mph in second. I'm not going to say where but I did manage to get 155mph out of it with 4 blokes on board.
I eventually got bored with it and decided that I wanted a slightly more practical car, big boot & 4 doors, hence I got my MY02 sti. The scooby is much better in the handling department and quicker off the mark. Mid range there doesn't feel much difference.
Old 19 December 2003, 12:03 PM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Talking

when will people stop comparing???

a subaru is a rally bred car, not designed to be beautiful. it's designed to get you down b road's f'kin quickly, thats it. not designed for top end power.

the fiat coupe is a fast car, i've had a "dabble" with a couple of them. but i've never been in one

you cant compare them, they come from completely different backgrounds.

and as for the guy saying he's out run a gt2, F*ck off you have. a friend of mine has had one and they are unbelieveable. would **** all over a fiat coupe on the straight and in the bends.

gav..
Old 19 December 2003, 12:12 PM
adpd
Scooby Regular

Smell what you're being shovelled
An appropriate quote, wouldn't you say!
Old 19 December 2003, 12:47 PM
bits'n'pieces
Scooby Regular

We are talking about a car that came in AA yellow and RAC Orange as standard !
Old 19 December 2003, 12:57 PM
slimtim
Scooby Regular

Ok i tak our points, but BOB5 took the thread too seriously, it just people writing about cars they came up against. Im sure some of you guys have suprised yourselves with what you have kept up with. Its just a bit of chest beating.

No one would or should compare the two.

Oh and they never came in orange, Yellow yes, the same yellow as many Ferrari (thats not a comparison ), and is one of the few cars on the road that can carry it off. In my opinion of course. But thats what its about, standing out from the crowd, if you dont want to buy a ..............
Old 19 December 2003, 01:01 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

My work m8 has a yellow one, oh the hours of **** taking

But we respect the fact we both have fast cars, both good in their own areas....and we dont squabble like kids either.

**sorry for edit, looked stupid with no S in squabble ***

[Edited by Andy Porter - 12/19/2003 1:02:56 PM]
Old 19 December 2003, 01:21 PM
CustomScoobyIOM
Scooby Regular

One word...

Tipo
One word....

Justy
Old 19 December 2003, 01:31 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Amazing how when a scoob owner reckons they've totally wasted 355s/360s in mildly tuned uk cars everyone believes them, but find it hard to believe a lighter, more powerful (std), more aerodynamic fwd fiat could be faster than their scoobs.....

Scoobs are 0-60 cars, 0-100 they are nothing special, slower 60-100(std)than focus rs's, r32s, possibly 330is? not to many fiat coupes etc......

As to the P1 beater, do we know what spec it was? It's not unimaginable is it?
Old 19 December 2003, 01:32 PM
Derek FKS 85
Scooby Regular

What the....are you on Slimtim!

Your post did make me and the guys here at work laugh though!

Thanks!
Old 19 December 2003, 01:38 PM
Wskibuoy
Scooby Regular

I suspect the Fiat would have an aerodynamic advantage at 100+, have seen a similar thing said about the CTR. But what benefit is that - 99% of the time you are doing less than 100mph, anyone who maintains speeds of 100+ for any length of time is likely to get a driving ban. Stories of bravado like - he dissapeared in my rear view mirror at 130 mean the guy following had the sense to back off because his license and life are more important than racing past you. So in the real world the considerable all weather traction advantage(we are in the UK), handling and balance of the scoob counts for more in my opinion as you can use it 99% of the time the scoob is also well built and reliable which has not been the forte of Italian cars. Its a good car the Coupe and owners are like Scoob owners - generally enthusiasts driving something different so mutual respect!
Old 19 December 2003, 01:56 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Cool

Slimtim: Welcome to Scoobynet
Old 19 December 2003, 01:59 PM
Andrew Longworth
Scooby Regular

Steve - You mean my Blitz boost controller. The interesting thing is that I am not running any higher boost than before as I havent got uprated fuel maps for higher boost. I actually use it more for turning the boost down round town. I think the difference between those two meets was I had only just got the car at the first one :-)

But we know I like to be different and obviously cant have an Impreza now - that would make three in the one carpark :-)

As has just been said. The majority of people on scoobynet and the Coupe forum are enthusiasts and accept that they are both competent cars - just designed for different tasks. Styling is another matter :-)

I am gonna go now as its time to go back to blighty for Christmas. Have a good one......

PS - Think this classes as my longest post on scoobynet ever.
Old 19 December 2003, 02:05 PM
slimtim
Scooby Regular

Whoooooa, clam down Derek, nice name by the way you sure they wernt laughing at you rather than with you.

What have i said to make you laugh, other than my poor typing which is down to spilling coffee on the keyboard this morning. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

* Edited to please Derek and his anorak

[Edited by slimtim - 12/19/2003 2:09:42 PM]
Old 19 December 2003, 02:19 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Cool

Ah...they do like to compare our slowest recorded times with their fastest...

Well if they want to compare some of our quicker recorded times:

Standard 4-door uk spec(208bhp):

Performance Car in 1997: 0-60 in 5.03 & 1/4mile in 13.72secs @ 100.6mph

Standard 4-door Sti Type R (276bhp):

Performance Car Road test: 0-60mph in 4.3secs

Standard 4-door STiv4:

Autocar road test: 0-60mph 4.6secs and 0-100 in low/mid 12secs
Old 19 December 2003, 02:35 PM
slimtim
Scooby Regular

Yeah but BOB with due respect, you wont be able to find a 0 - 100mph time for the coop slower than 14.5 seconds.

So what youre saying is that if i go and look at a copy of Performance Car now it will say the quarter mile time for a Standard UK spec Impreza is 13.7 seconds. It wont, Autocar states (and im not saying its right)

2000 model 0-100 16.9 secs
2003 model 0-100 16.1 secs

I just cant understand why you think a heavier less aerodynamic car with less horsepower and torque will be faster. It wont end of arguement.

I really think you are getting quarter mile and 0-100mph mixed up.

[Edited by slimtim - 12/19/2003 2:36:46 PM]
Old 19 December 2003, 02:54 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

My 2pence...

ISTR that Classic Imprezas are lighter than a 20VT. I think the classic weighs around 1225-1290 kg (UK Turbo and P1), the 20VT weighs 1310kg.

/My 2pence...

Vindaloo.
Old 19 December 2003, 03:23 PM
stanmo
Scooby Regular

Is the Coupe still being made ? I don't see many about.
Fiat must have sorted out QA and rust by now surely ?
Old 19 December 2003, 07:30 PM
Fab69
Scooby Newbie

Talking

Tee hee, this is great, are you are journalist by the way BOB's ? Seems those quotes in your opening thread were taken a tad out of context. That was a joke about our fastest model being an Enzo by the way. Re the Delta Integrale though, im sure none of you would disagree about its heritage? Ah well maybe you would.
There is a lot of respect in the carwold, but none more so than one fanatic comes across another, knowing full well that the other has a potentially threatening car? thats my opinion anyhow.
But re the racing, that is where its all confsuing, i mean how come my friend with carrera 4s 2003 model still thinks my coupe is particularly fast? Everything in performance is subjective, i raced a few scooby's (classic is the term is it?) modded and unmodded on the road and on 1/4 mile racestrips lost some races and won others. thats it no ..' my car is faster than yours' just mutual respect, course you would get pi$$ed off if you get beaten when you least expect it. After having a bash at york dragway earlier this year, i came up against a fiesta rst, under normal circs you would imagine my 20vt Coupe would have beaten it, well i was wrong, i was suspicious as it did sound different to a normal one, but hey was i really to know it was a 2.0 ltr runing approx 270- 300bhp? well no not from the outside, however my dad still saw it on video and thought ' still a fiesta'!! Although i belive it got into the mid 12's. Which by anyones standards is pretty nippy.
Ah well had a good laugh reading this, all the best to you and take care whilst racing on public highways.
Respect to the scooby massive ;-)

[Edited by Fab69 - 12/19/2003 7:32:10 PM]

Quick Reply: Fiat Coupes Vs....