Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW UK WRX'S ON STD UNLEADED ?

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2003, 09:32 PM
mcscoobydoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Due for 1k service next week. Been running on std unleaded as the dealer recommended (as does owners manual). However, I am really interested to know if running optimax will give me a noticable performance improvement once run in or do I just keep running it on the normal stuff ?
Anyone else got the new shape and what you runnin on.

Had a tussle with a VR6 the other day - just playin due to the 4k rev limit. But its gotta be done. He was in front comin off round about and pulled away slowly along dual carriage as I had to change gear a 4k.

Will OPTIMAX and higher rev gear change remedy this ???
Old 08 December 2003, 09:44 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

Was it this one?

http://www.club-vr6.co.uk/

VW Golf VR6 Supercharged 300bhp - As seen in Performance VW. Top of Mk3 Hall of Fame. This is one of the most sorted and respected modified VR6 Golfs in the UK. For full spec contact ***personal details removed*** £8,000 or ono.

Last edited by Evolution Stu; 24 June 2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08 December 2003, 09:49 PM
mcscoobydoo
Scooby Regular

Didnt look modded to me - normal VR6 badges etc. I know they are quick - but didnt think they lunched on WRX pie !
Old 08 December 2003, 09:52 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

Optimax will help the car along, i found that when i ran it on normal unleaded for long periods it felt as though the turbo had switched off at higher revs, felt like it was choking. Ive since put nothing but optimax in it (6 months ago) and its never repeated.

In short, optimax or BP ultimate is the best way to get the best out of your car. I know i did, and despite the few p more per litre, its definitely worth it, its so much more responsive too
Enjoy.
Old 08 December 2003, 09:57 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Just wait till you get to play over 4k revs - will make all the difference. If you're still not impressed get it PPP'd.

Andy
Old 08 December 2003, 10:01 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

Lot of it comes down to who’s trying the hardest, if he gets his foot down and you aren’t really trying work it out for yourself who gets in front

Now if you make the call, Nail it on the Apex with it well bolted to the Bitchamen now that’s another story.

YOU WIN AGAIN!
Old 08 December 2003, 10:10 PM
mcscoobydoo
Scooby Regular

Sounds like I'm in for more fun. Got just under a 1/4 tank of fuel to go then I will swap to Optimax. Cost isnt the issue. Just didnt know there was so much to gain.
Thanks for info guys.
Gotta go now. been surfin since 7ish. and use PC at work all day as well. Eyes are square. time for a quick night cap and go tuck the scoob in in the garage.

Cheers !
Old 08 December 2003, 11:46 PM
Lyricman
Scooby Regular

I have just had MY03 STI 1000 mile service and filled up with Optimax. This car is so much fun along the North Yorkshire country roads I couldn't believe it. My previous car was a Honda Accord Type R with all the power at the top end but this thing pulls from 3000 upwards. I did feel a little out of control going over the bumps while changing gear and going round the bends but I am getting used to it now. Slowing into the bend and putting your foot down to bring you out of the bend is awesome. Hope you enjoy yourself as much as I am
Old 09 December 2003, 01:50 AM
Beemer_Deano
Scooby Regular

Red face

Being able to use the whole rev band will make a world of difference - although my 03 pulls much better that my 01 from lower down, it still doesn't really come on song until about 3.5k, so you're not getting much to play with when lifting off at 4.

In your original post you say "std unleaded"? That is super unleaded (97 RON) isn't it, not standard unleaded (95 RON)? I'm not being picky but my MY03 manual and filler cap state super unleaded fuel only (similarly in my MY01) - in fact the filler cap specifically says 98 RON only. As I always understood it, 95 RON fuel is only to be used in emergencies when nothing else is available, and certainly won't give good performance?

Deano

[Edited by Beemer_Deano - 12/9/2003 2:37:22 AM]
Old 09 December 2003, 09:29 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

I've noticed more difference with BP's Ulimate SUL to be honest. Certainly getting better MPG (I reckon on 20-30 miles more per tank), much smoother as well. Wouldn't have said that there is a huge difference in performance (over Optimax), but you will feel the difference between SUL and NUL.

Chris

Old 09 December 2003, 12:15 PM
Jolley
Scooby Regular

Had my 1000 mile service just over a week ago... haven't stopped smiling since!! (did the 1000miles in a week).

Also, on the power front. If you look at the dyno graphs on the Prodrive/Subaru websites, they show that at 4000rpm the engine is only producing about 150bhp. Therefore, you should get to play with another 70bhp past 4000rpm.
Old 09 December 2003, 12:50 PM
Nick100
Scooby Regular

Question

I used NUL for the first 1000, but then used Optimax soon after. Haven't really noticed a difference with fuel, but couldn't tell the full performance when only limited to 4000 revs. Certainly noticed it when those extra 3000 revs kicked in - great

Book and filler label say 98RON (as Beemer_Deano said), although the dealer said it wouldn't make much difference to NUL (95RON)?

He also said it was a pain to convert coz you had to run it empty and change the switch thing near the battery ?? I read the handbook and looked near the battery and couldn't see any switch. Decided I didn't believe him, read a load of threads on here re better performance, and it's been Optimax for me ever since.

Anyone else heard about needing to change a switch for fuel rating on MY03 WRX ??

Edited - Just noticed I've become a Regular - feel like a grown up now

[Edited by Nick100 - 12/9/2003 12:53:25 PM]
Old 09 December 2003, 12:59 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Nick

For new shape cars, you don't have to empty the tank or reset the ECU. Newer cars have 'learning' ECUs that will detect a change in the petrol straight away. Older classic Scoobs will need to reset the ECU.

Chris
Old 09 December 2003, 01:14 PM
Nick100
Scooby Regular

Smile

Chris
Cheers for this.
He must be just a "well informed" dealer - not !
Old 11 December 2003, 07:00 PM
Ady 1
Scooby Regular

Andy, so you have run yours in eh? I have only got 500 miles on the clock and need to get the other on rapido so am going to Leicester next week to pick my lad up from university. I have used nothing but Optimax even running in as I used it for the other Type R (STi) that I got rid of. I get so confused listening to the scientists amongst us (I know they mean well) as half the time I haven't got a feekin clue what people are on about, I just work on the theory that the higher the octane the more performance (just watch someone shoot me down now just cos I haven't a degree in petrochemistry). See you at work M8.

Ady
Old 12 December 2003, 10:53 AM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

ChrisL - It takes a little longer than "straight away" but you are spot on that the new ECU are clever enough to learn both on the positive and negative.

Apparently in other makes of cars the ECU only ever learns the negative, so if you put bad fuel in you would need to reset to let the ECU adjust again.