Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now I know how it happens...

Search this Thread

Old 02 December 2003, 09:53 PM
ThrustSSC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Met up with a colleague today in Greenford, west London, just off the A40. Parked up the scooby in the car park of a shopping centre and sat in his car going over some stuff for an hour.

I LEFT THE PLACE A NERVOUS WRECK! I couldn't sit there any longer knowing my precious STi8 was sat there defenceless against the onslaught of incompetent driving! I've never seen anything like it - is this place a hotbed of crap drivers? A car parked so sideways it took room out of 3 spaces (and the other two were occupied already), cars bouncing over kerbs, cars tearing around with un-seatbelted idiots at the wheel...

And yes, most of them were scratched and dented. Most of their cars were, too :-)
Old 03 December 2003, 12:39 AM
AK47
Scooby Regular

Wink

i know how you feel! that's why i've picked up a bad habbit of driving around public car parks 10 times to find the best parking space (security camera's think i'm cruising around picking the best ride to nick!)
Old 03 December 2003, 06:23 AM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Have you ever tried doing the school run? Shopping centre car parks are a doddle compared to the devil's punishment of a school run - mum's backing into other cars, backing into trees (yes true!), pushing you into hedges, kids chucking stones over the school wall for a bit of "sport"...be afraid, be very afraid.
Old 03 December 2003, 08:52 AM
jmk
Scooby Regular

My solution is to take up 2 spaces at Sainsbury's etc and rely on the other drivers to still stick to the marked lines; tehrefore their doors cannot hit mine.

Only started doing this since some tart let her kid throw open his door straight in to mine (car was only 3 weeks old) and refused to accept responsibility and then drove off.
Old 03 December 2003, 09:18 AM
iDLe*
Scooby Regular

My solution is to take up 2 spaces at Sainsbury's etc and rely on the other drivers to still stick to the marked lines; tehrefore their doors cannot hit mine.

Makes you an Ahole if you ask me.

Only started doing this since some tart let her kid throw open his door straight in to mine (car was only 3 weeks old) and refused to accept responsibility and then drove off.

Tart - explain?
let - hmmm explain?
Did you take her plate and report her for leaving the scene of the accident?

Not trying to cause trouble but people like you cause more problems then solve them, selfish with a sense of over self importance.
Old 03 December 2003, 09:33 AM
smb1
Scooby Regular

My solution is take the wifes car instead when doin a school or supermarket run.
Old 03 December 2003, 09:45 AM
ThrustSSC
Scooby Regular

On the grounds that you don't mind it being dinged so much, or that it's already been dinged? :-)

Trending Topics

Old 03 December 2003, 09:47 AM
tmo
Scooby Regular

This is the only thing that would make me sell the scooby. Drives the wife mad, even my daughter (she's 10) checks the car over now for any fresh dints when we get back to it.
Supermarkets and retail parks are a nightmare, just cannot relax knowing that some incontinent old git smelling of p!ss and mothballs is probably going to park within 8” of my car , even though the rest of the car park is empty, and then try and get out with their dodgy new hip, walking sticks or zimmer frame.
Old 03 December 2003, 09:55 AM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

LOL @tmo
Old 03 December 2003, 09:59 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I visited my local pizza/kebab shop last sunday, it was quiet and the car park practically deserted. I parked up outside the shop, the nearest car was about 6 spaces away.

Imagine my suprise when a woman parks right next to my car with 3 inches between her passenger door mirror and my drivers door mirror. I then watched in horror as her passenger attempted to squeeze out of her seat. No damage done but she didn't like me asking her to move her car so I could get in mine (I'm a fat knacker and couldn't fit )
Old 03 December 2003, 10:04 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Angry

when I'm out in scoob, I either find the biggest space, or park in two spaces.

Inconsiderate, I know. But not as inconsiderate as all the people who dented my immaculate originally dent-free bodywork [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

On the contarary I park the Nissan Sunny wherever it'll fit! But at least I have the common decency not to rub, bump, or open my door on to other peoples cars

This a rather sore point at the moment as I used my mums Primera the other week while she was away. Only to find that on the car park I parked it - Some complete incompetant W@nker in a red car had rubbed their car along the whole side of the rear bumper with so much force it has broken all but one clip on the one side, cracked the paint all along to the other side of the bumper and totally deformed it out of shape. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

What makes it worse it was only replaced and resprayed 6 months back after a previous inccident so was un-marked beforehand.

So now the car is de-valued through no fault of my own, or I have to fork out £500+ for a new bumper and re-spray [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

And don't get me started on mums letting their kids open doors on cars [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

[Edited by ALi-B - 12/3/2003 10:05:08 AM]
Old 03 December 2003, 12:35 PM
naefeart
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Good god, and I thought i was the only one who had this problem. I hate going to the supermarket and just plain refuse to park my car in any public carpark if its busy. Drives the missus crazy I have even been known to offer to drop her off and return when shes ready. Doesn't go down well.

When I go to Tescos, I park in the most desserted part of the carpark, regardless of how far I have to walk back to the car. But what I dont understand is that when I return, there are usually 2-3 cars parked within mm's of my motor, but not in any of the many surrounding spaces?????

I also have to spend ages checking my car over when I return, so that if there are any marks (thank god it hasn't happened yet), I can get the plate of the c**t that did it, if they are still there.

I know this won't make me very popular, but I am also guilty of sometimes taking up two spaces in the supermarket car park. I don't care what you say, I would rather be an ar*ehole than risk some git dinking my car.

I'll get my coat....

Old 03 December 2003, 12:47 PM
Scooby_simon
Scooby Regular

we have 2 Kids and the oldest (2 1/2) KNOWS that he :

1, Must wait to get out of the car after we have unbuckled him from the seat. He knows that he must not move the door as mum or dad have put in that place for a good reason......
2, Take great care if there are other cars around when getting out and not touch them.
3, Ditto in reverse when getting in...

I really worry in car parks about all the other idiots...Wife's Audi has a small dent as a result of others and I was in sainbury's car park a while ago getting him(2 1/2 yo) into the back of the Scoob and some stupid cow comes flying around the place looking for a space and parks beside us missing the open door by an inch or so (it actually moved and my son looked worried....). Finish straping him in and then start to go to talk to her as she is getting her kid out of the front seat and notice that her door touching MY closed Door.

I say something like....please could you not try and squash me and my son while you park the car.....and please could you stop your door touching mine in case it gets scratched or dented, I have some padding (old sponge) if that would help....answer ...Eff of you cvnt (She said this infront of her approx 3yo kid, I was gob smacked !!!!!).

I remined in control, mentioned that this was not the language I would expect to hear infront of children, more swearing on her part and she stormed off with a screaming child in tow...

Checked the car, no damage and I am left thinking 'Great role model misses, that's just the thing a young kid should be hearing and seeing'.

Got in the car and my son said 'silly woman daddy, window open and raining....' - He had seen that it had started to rain (bucket loads) anbd the car windows were open. Had a laugh at her, but felt sorry for the kid....

Old 03 December 2003, 12:53 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Thumbs up

Should have left a sarcy note in the car saying

"If you were a nice and considerate person and weren't abusive to strangers. I would have told you your window was open - Have a nice day"!

Old 03 December 2003, 12:58 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Scooby Simon: You should have leaned in and opened them all, and the sunroof if there was one!
Old 03 December 2003, 01:21 PM
AK47
Scooby Regular

Never ever park in two spaces! I've seen it done by beemers where the car park became full and eventually the beemer got keyed because the others had no spaces to park (got keyed bad style...all over the show!).

Although a car park might be empty, you;d be surprised to see idiots parking right next to you when there are a zillion of other spaces available. I think they use you car as a marker to park straight [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 03 December 2003, 01:37 PM
iDLe*
Scooby Regular

Reality check for everyone...

99% of the peeps of Scoob owners cars are worth less than 25K, in fact the majority would be under 10K I would guess, with that in mind why do you think your car is so special as to deserve 2 parking spaces?

I think its taking the p*ss when you think of it in this way, lets just hope none of you make it owning a proper car worth some serious cash, you'd spend all your time cleaning it and worrying over it, never enjoying it.

I'm not suggesting for one moment that you deserve to have you car damaged or anything like that and regardless of what you drive you should take car of your motor obviously but not the point of taking the p*ss.

Can I just add I park my car in a certain spot at work, peeps ask why and tell them its due to the company car owners not giving a f*ck and parking it where I do gives me piece of mind......this is cool but I also ensure I do not put anyone else out just to suit me.

Grow up peeps and get a life!
Old 03 December 2003, 01:43 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Talking

I remember taking up two spaces once and upon my return, someone had parked a few inches away from me in a mini!

Mikey
Old 03 December 2003, 01:49 PM
spyr0
Scooby Regular

using 2 spaces in a carpark is asking for trouble if u ask me.
there are ppl out there who damage others property just for fun, or dont give a sh*t about their own rustbox......... and to see overspace parking is just gonna wind em up.
Old 03 December 2003, 01:49 PM
adpd
Scooby Regular

99% of the peeps of Scoob owners cars are worth less than 25K, in fact the majority would be under 10K I would guess, with that in mind why do you think your car is so special as to deserve 2 parking spaces?
I don't think it is the financial value of the car that is the issue - it is the pride that people take in their possessions. If you love your car, then you don't want any damage to come to it, be it mechanical or bodywork. Therefore you do what you think is best to protect it.

I haven't taken two bays myself, but I have been known to park in the parent/child bays, as they are wider and therefore reduce the risk of bumped doors.

I do not park in disabled bays, regardless of how many are available.

Just a thought idle (and my only one of the day at that)!
Old 03 December 2003, 01:54 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

If you are gonna hog parking spaces do it right. Super space cab DAF with 13.6m reefer on the back
Old 03 December 2003, 02:16 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
As regards how much a car is worth - if someone causes enough damage to your car to require a door or panel respray - it cost just the same for a £25k STi8 as for an old 6k classic - So I don't see your point about vehicle values...

Mick
Old 03 December 2003, 02:25 PM
P1-day
Scooby Regular

i'm sorry to admit this but, i have now bought myself an old banger and keep the scoob in the garage. this IS revenge time. all those arseh0le neighbours that tried to squeeze their cars in the street, (coldersack - not sure on spelling??) only fits 5 cars yet they manage to get 7and sometimes 8 in. literraly park 2mm away from my car. NO WAY can anyone get out without banging doors. its my turn.

i think its quire simple, if there is no space dont park there!
Old 03 December 2003, 02:32 PM
adpd
Scooby Regular

P1-day... do not make the mistake of thinking that people are that logical... they aren't.

It is a sad fact that many people are clumsy, clueless and careless.
Old 03 December 2003, 03:40 PM
scooby808
Scooby Regular

People are basically lazy and drive round the superstore looking for parking near the entrance, I tend to park the scooby away from the entrance where there are more spaces and park where there are few other cars, not had a dent yet.....still waiting though.

Old 03 December 2003, 03:53 PM
naefeart
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle values don't come into it

Anyway, cars are always worth more to their owners than just there monetary value.

Car enthusiasts spend alot of time and money on their cars and all they ask is that other people respect that.

If you think a car is just for transport - fine. Just keep your bloody car away from mine
Old 03 December 2003, 03:55 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

I am so glad that I am not alone on the parking issue, if the door panels weren't made from tin foil perhaps I'd feel different about public car parks.
I always use the Wifes Vectra for shopping, and she takes the children to School so no worries there, but at work I try to park in the corner so at least 1 side is protected.
I know it is only a car, but if everyone was as worried as us about dings & scrathces car parks would be a better place.
Old 03 December 2003, 04:11 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

The trouble is for a lot of scoob owners, is you park away from everyone, boy racers see you and park there nova's next to you, hoping it will somehow make there car faster somehow. (at least they normally have the same pride in cars we do though).

That and all Gran Turismo age kids will tell there parents to park next to the scoob. Trust me that happens.

Moral of the story, park far from everyone, yet with a clear view of a skyline
Old 03 December 2003, 04:31 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

The trouble is for a lot of scoob owners, is you park away from everyone, boy racers see you and park there nova's next to you, hoping it will somehow make there car faster somehow.
I think the reasoning behind this is that they think a car thief will be more likely to have a go at the Scoob than the 'hotwire in 30 seconds' Nova !

Old 03 December 2003, 04:42 PM
chenko
Scooby Regular

Why do people park next to you when there are loads of spaces around? Because its easier to park for ***** who cant drive... seriously... its alot easier to park between 2 cars, than it is in between 2 lines...