Sponsored by:

Help me!!!! newbie girl :)

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2003, 01:14 PM
Bo_WRX
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey everyone.

Im new here, thought i'd just introduce myself and ask some of your opinons etc!

My names mich (short for michelle) i currently drive a stripped out nova, which i like but it dussn't quite have the same standings as a scooby!

Im looking into getting a scooby impreza when im 18- i have checked insurance and on some models including the WRX Sti's i can get insured on for nothing silly....

the only problem is theres a load of models out there which im not to sure of-stats wise etc.

what are the difference between all the WRX models etc, which are cheaper to insure and which imprezas do you lot feel are the best?

lots of questions etc... lol any help would be much appreciated! Ive been saving up hard for quite few years and hoping in 6months to own a scooby I've been modding cars for quite a few years now, since i was about 13 so I'm all for doing stuff myself and learning... i just need a bit of info on the range of imprezas out there!

Thanks!
Old 29 November 2003, 01:29 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Hi
Nice Nova BTW

Have you considered a Sport to start with?

Steve
Old 29 November 2003, 01:33 PM
gav888
Scooby Regular

Pics of you please!!!!! only joking, LOL!!!

go for a sport. ins will be well high for anything else.
Old 29 November 2003, 01:44 PM
danny-boy
Scooby Regular

Ignore the boring old Sport drivers :P

Go for a UK Turbo, which would probably be the cheapest to insure being a Grp 17, any special editions will be higher normally a Grp 18 or 20 depending on model.

For lots of info on Scooby Models look Here

I believe the WRX is a grp 18, but I maybe wrong, when i looked at getting a Scooby the insurance co's wanted £600 extra over a UK model price, get a UK model and stick a full decat on it and you see an easy 240 BHP
Old 29 November 2003, 01:47 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Get a uk Turbo, wil be a big step up from your nova! Looks nice btw!!
Old 29 November 2003, 01:51 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Talking

Cue replies from desperados..........
Old 29 November 2003, 01:54 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Are you one of these? lol :P
Old 29 November 2003, 01:55 PM
Little Miss WRX

Welcome to the forums from a fellow Michelle.

My first scoob was an MY94 WRX, test drove it and fell in love. My first advice to you would be to get your insurance sorted out, that will be the killer and then ensure you have adequate funds left for fuel and servicing.........

Test drive the various models and make your mind up then. It would be cheaper for you to go with a Sport, they are still rapid cars just minus the turbo. Not to be sniffed at!!!

Check out the www.sidc.co.uk and have a look at the FAQ for specs on the various models.

Feel free to email me if you want to chat more offline, else continue on here.

Enjoy.

Chelle.
Old 29 November 2003, 01:57 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Welcome to forum young un!
dave

Old 29 November 2003, 03:11 PM
Jap Imports
Scooby Regular

Cool

Sport is alot cheaper insurance, i've got one i'm selling now. just turned 19. Alot cheaper on insurance too, and still a fun car to drive.
Old 29 November 2003, 03:15 PM
Jap Imports
Scooby Regular

Smile

oh and mine is a jap import model so you can run it on optimax and it will do 0-60 in 8 sec. The english one is about 9.5 sec
Old 29 November 2003, 03:45 PM
gav888
Scooby Regular

Is that true!!!!!
Old 29 November 2003, 03:46 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

link to SIDC faq
Just cause the lady is young dont mean she can't afford it so musn't get too ahead of yerselves saying get a UK un if you have the bling to keep them well maintained then for out & out performance you'd want a STi type R or type RA IMO either way it's all good but like all cars which model you go for will depend on what it is you seek.
Another good tip is to go to a local meet & chat with the locals i'm sure they'll show you the varieties & what it's all about. If yer really lucky you may be near me & you can come to the Cov area meets lol, where have all the sharks gone?
Si
Old 29 November 2003, 03:47 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

Damn erm blackpool aint that far
Old 29 November 2003, 03:56 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

I think you lot have been sucked in lol are you sure this ain't a cossie boy

Quite like the comment "nice nova" was that only because its a girl? if a bloke put up this thread he would be ripped to bits!
Old 29 November 2003, 04:22 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Yep, was just gonna say this. If Michelle was really Michael, you can bet the vast majority of posts would be telling the Novaboy to grow up before he messes with a man's car etc. etc. etc.

Who said sexism was dead?
Old 29 November 2003, 04:37 PM
explore
Scooby Regular

turbo is they way to go, your nova wont be far off the 8-9 sec's if you've mod'd it right so there wouldnt be much point going for the sport, ok its a scooby but with out the real power (grandad car) lol
Old 29 November 2003, 04:40 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

dont be prejudiced i am friendly to everyone ya w4nker lmfao [please note irony mode was on lol]
Si
Old 29 November 2003, 04:43 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Explore, you're not Pilkster posting under another username are you?
Old 29 November 2003, 05:36 PM
gav888
Scooby Regular

LOL
Old 29 November 2003, 05:37 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i will have this corner thankyou
Old 29 November 2003, 05:45 PM
Bo_WRX
Scooby Newbie

here is me ^ do not be afraid, i am less harmless that I appear!

I have had qoutes of around £1300 for a WRX STi on my old mans insurance which is shockingly good, the nova is already on his neway and he's agreed to let me use his as long as i fund it all, and his no claims can be protected so thats good.

I was in 2minds as to whether to say i owned i nova! I understand alot of the stereotypes surrounding them and alot of the people who drive them are ***** with burberry hats on unfortuanetly!

I was in 2minds as to what 2do-2litre turbo the nova, or get a new car. I think the whole thing surrounding imprezas made me swing towards them- its a status symbol in a way,but also my dream car - i love rallying, love imprezas and have dreamed of owning one since i was 10!

Don't get me wrong, im no spoilt child, i pay for all my car stuff myself and work hard for it-i practically gave up going out to fund the ******* nova, and the funding ive spent on that could of easily bought the insurance for a scooby and half the car!!!

imprezas are like modded saxo prices now.... and i no which car i'd rather own! What are the sports like in standard trim, looks wise, performance etc....

Do you advise I jump in the deepend and get a WRX STi or maybe start off at the bottom and work my way up?
Old 29 November 2003, 05:49 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Uk Turbo 208/215bhp
WRX 240/276bhp
Old 29 November 2003, 06:25 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

type R likely over 300bhp & 0-60 in 4 & a bit seconds & toys like adjustable diff ie you decide how much power goes to rear wheels (to a degree) very extreme & very lairy & maybe even dangerous with no experiance (no offense ment just saying the ole with power comes responsibility lmao)
thats the most extreme scoob anyway but as i say depends on your limitations i started on a UK scoob but in the end have had to go for sumin more extreme as performance is everything serious dunno wot the meet scene is like round yer area but check out the meets section & i dont doubt the friendly natives will give you a healthy welcome & show you the various options you have open to you
Si
Old 29 November 2003, 06:33 PM
Bo_WRX
Scooby Newbie

A lad in my local meet has an awesome scooby, its a jap important with everything you could want,its a serious machine. Its an ex japanese show car and this car got me thinking bout how much i really like scoobys....

No offence taken, theres no point me having a car i cud not handle, which is why it is sometimes better to start at the bottom and work my way up!

A sport dus look like a good option, and on my old mans insurance even with his no claims protected im lookin at a 1000 insurance at most, which is bloody brilliant...
Old 29 November 2003, 06:36 PM
pnbond007
Scooby Regular

Welcome aboard young lady, enjoy the ride.

You just have to have an Impreza, its slowly becoming the necessary accessory of the millenium.
Old 29 November 2003, 06:39 PM
DreXeL
Scooby Regular

Get a UK turbo, it's a quick car, but not as mental quick as the STI's. My '97 UK turbo is the first performance car I've owned, I had a 1.8 Mondeo before FFS!!!!! Just don't go mad in it until your used to the power. Welcome to Scoobynet BTW
Old 29 November 2003, 06:40 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

I have had qoutes of around £1300 for a WRX STi on my old mans insurance. Do you advise I jump in the deepend and get a WRX STi or maybe start off at the bottom and work my way up?
This topic comes up every few weeks, and the answers are always the same, so suggest you go and have a look in the Insurance forum and hit the search button before going any further with this. Getting a car on your father's insurance is a short term fix that often causes more problems than it solves.

If you are going to be the de facto main driver of the car, insuring it on any other basis (i.e. your dad as the main driver with you as an additional) is theoretically fraud, and could render you un-insured (and both you and your dad in deep sh*t) should you have an accident in it, while you will also be unable to build your own no-claims bonus unless you spend more money on buying and insuring another car. What's the point of going this route now, only to end up 24 years old with no NCD of your own?

Also don't forget that the running costs associated with a turbocharged Impreza will be considerably higher than what you're used to. If you had to give up going out to be able to afford your Nova, how are you going to manage with a car that burns twice as much fuel and probably costs twice as much to maintain?

Sorry to sound a bit negative, but there's no point pretending that the reality is other than it is, and these are all points that are better thought about now rather than after you've got the car.

As things stand, if you're desperate to have an Impreza, a normally aspirated one would appear a much more realistic bet, while it'd be a more than good idea to get something that you can afford to insure in your own name.

[Edited by greasemonkey - 11/29/2003 6:44:22 PM]
Old 29 November 2003, 06:45 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

DreXeL are you my opposite i've gone from a 97 UK scoob to a mondeo lol
Si
Old 29 November 2003, 06:55 PM
DreXeL
Scooby Regular

LOL, I just couldn't take the Mundano anymore, don't get me wrong, good family car, but YAWN!!! I have a Toyota Estima as the family car now, the Scooby is my toy!!!!

Quick Reply: Help me!!!! newbie girl :)