Newbie, with a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2003, 09:01 AM
major stare
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hello all,

I hope you can answer a few questions for me?

Iam potentially looking at purchasing an Estate WRX Imprezza, my budget is "currently" between £3000 and £6000.

-Are there any problems with high milage cars 60/70/80K+, tired engines, gearbox etc.

-What do i look for to check it hasnt been "nailed" all its life, i dont want a boy raced car?

-With my budget, what could i expect to get?

Thanks
Old 29 November 2003, 09:09 AM
Scoobybits
Scooby Regular

Wink

think the best advice anyone can give you is to take someone with you who knows scoobs..or at least the basics!!
milegage is not an issue more a case of servicing and how the car has been treated..all the info you need is on here..just have a good study,take your time buying one..and ultimatly ENJOY.
Old 29 November 2003, 05:02 PM
major stare
Scooby Newbie

Thought i would of had a few more replies , is the Wagon model not as popular of should i be a female to gaurentee a reply?
Old 29 November 2003, 05:33 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Agreed i dont think the wagon is as popular, but its just as capable! Still has that great engine! and ultimately still a scoob!!!!
Old 29 November 2003, 06:23 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Saw a really nice 'P' reg in Northallerton today in Silver with a sign on for £4,800 if that gives you some idea. Prices in Essex and the South may be higher.
More important than the mileage is how it has been driven and frequency of oil changes and servicing.

Wagons are very capable tools and do not draw a lot of attention. Look here: www.geocities.com/harveysmith3000
The advice to take somebody that genuinely knows these cars is spot on. Nothing wrong with them if they have been modified as long as it has been done properly and often it has not. Standard car from a mature owner is a good bet but steer clear of boy racers stuff.
Old 29 November 2003, 06:32 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

& presuming we're not talking about a badly modified or cared for scoob the only things which in theory/hope which may cost to replace with such milage, if not already done, are things like the clutch. Many will even go so far as to argue the wagon handle better & it is cheaper to buy than saloon. It's all good if you can find a good example & it truely is a buyers market with so many around now As mentionned if u can befriend sum1 who knows the scoob well then yer 90% of the way to finding a good example i recommend going to some local meets to you, where abouts u based? & take it from there. I wood also add purchase price isnt everything as it does costs a healthy chunk to keep even a good condition scoob on the road but there's no reason this should put you off if you have a suitable income lol.
Si
Old 29 November 2003, 06:39 PM
stevoWRX
Scooby Regular

Join the Wagon club .

OK , not as popular but it's that wee bit different PLUS : same engine,handling,interior,noise,drifting,fun,and envy !! (from non-scoobs that is).. plus handy for loads bigger than 2ft wide (boot entry space in saloon is SO small) or dog !!

Wagons Rule !!!!
Wagon Power !!!!
Old 29 November 2003, 07:33 PM
major stare
Scooby Newbie

Cheers Guys,

The reason for an estate is because my company car (F@rd F@cus Estate) will be returned next month as i have just been made redundant.
With my redundancy ££££, i want another estate car, insured and taxed untill i get another job and to get me around (interviews etc).
I also need to sell my exisitng project car to clear the garage, there's no way im parking a Scooby on the street and paying more insurance.
Old 29 November 2003, 07:41 PM
brett555
Scooby Regular

There are other things you have to think about aswell... such as
servicing , fuel bill ... which will be high !!! ... err... possibly insurance ... err... and modifying it !! lol

happy motoring .
Old 29 November 2003, 07:51 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

there are plent of meets in Derby/Notts so get thee to them & do sum hands on research lol
Si