Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More road rage...

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2003, 10:58 AM
stanmo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
some fat guy in a merc takes a swing at me this morning, through the open window of my scoob.

"I'll have you, blah, blah".

I put my 7 cell maglite on the dash after I release the seat belt and duck; and he backs off and drives away.

Thing is, I was in the right, for once; actually on a mini roundabout at the railway station when he pulls out in front of me from the left turning. I use the horn, mouth the words 'give
way', when he goes bonkers.

Lucky he backed off; since if I'd have come off worse, I'd probably be in hospital; if I won a brawl, I'd be done for GBH/carrying offensive weapon; which would add to the 'crimes solved' column on a spreadsheet somewhere.

A no win situation. That and the ear bashing I'd get from my wife irrespective of the result of a confrontation...
Old 25 November 2003, 11:03 AM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

He had a Merc though. You're not even worthy to be on the road at the same time as him
Old 25 November 2003, 11:04 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
some fat guy in a merc
Why is always the same I just got a call from my sister who's driving her scoob on the M40 and there is a guy in a Merc undertaking, cutting her up and going down the hard shoulder just to keep in front in traffic What is their problem? She is really scared of this sort of behavior and is on her forst outing in her scoob for months

Paul
Old 25 November 2003, 11:08 AM
The Boy
Scooby Regular

Angry

Had the same kind of thing on a mini roundabout at the weekend.

Approaching mini roundabout indicating right when a idiot pulls straight out in front of me from the left causing me to stop very quick indeed ( or t-bone him ). I beep horn and he gives me the finger and starts going mad!!

I'm sure the scoob attracts this kind of thing as it never happens in my Merc ( no i'm not from essex )
Old 25 November 2003, 11:18 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was on the M4 last week - heavy traffic filtering in - Big bu99er in a white transit comes up my rear and flashes his lights, blows horn, sits 1mm away from my bumper and mouths to me to move faster!! The traffic was crawling at 40mph (the speed limit in the roadwork section!) ................... what do I do? I slow down even MORE, 30, 20, 10 - yes, 10!!

He is now doing his crust as he wants to muscle himself in at the end of the filter lane and I'm slowly, politely, drifting over into the inside lane.

I am convinced his head is about to explode and I really thought he was going to ram me, so - out of my open window I suggested he get out the van and come and see me face to face .... I suppose he saw this 20 stone gorilla and decided against it!

Pain in the butt these aggressive drivers! I'm afraid you really NEED to be a big bu99er to carry off a car like the Impreza

Pete
Old 25 November 2003, 11:20 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

This happened to me on the way back from a meet a few weeks ago. I was following a convoy turning right at a mini-island when some mong in a 4x4 piece of cack just zoomed into a none-existant gap, from the left-turn. I had to jam the brakes on and he started sticking his finger up to his head and mouthing "think".

I burned up alongside him and gave him 5x more abuse than he gave me, through my now open passenger window, and then carried on to catch up with rest of convoy.

He clearly thought he owned the road and that i shouldn't have been following another car round my right of way

Andy

[Edited by SiDHEaD - 11/25/2003 11:20:26 AM]
Old 25 November 2003, 11:23 AM
stanmo
Scooby Regular

I obviously need that FMIC on my wagon to make it stealthier...

I think we're going to get a certain subset of people who buy the luxury marques to strengthen their belief that they're better than everyone else.

The real problem are those who get out of their cars to try to prove it and cause hassle for both parties.

I personally feel that violence is only justified if you're in danger of serious harm or losing your life / loved ones; though it's easy to see that if we were in the US, I might have been packing a Glock instead of a torch, and he might have had a 12 gauge in his boot; and it's easier to pull a trigger than swing a piece of aluminium...
Old 25 November 2003, 11:54 AM
Simonz
Scooby Regular

USA or not,if the fat C*nt tuk a swing at me i would of followed him home and $h1t in his slippers!
Old 25 November 2003, 12:00 PM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Talking

might be time for the Samurai sword to come out in the scoob with me

jump out the car wit a 54 inch razor sharp sword in your hand and make em think twice
Old 25 November 2003, 12:08 PM
S Page
Scooby Regular

"I use the horn, mouth the words 'give way', when he goes bonkers".

STANMO you really are a polite driver??.

BUT OF COURSE YOU ARE ALL THE PERFECT DRIVER??, none of you cut up other drivers, undertake, pullout on roundabouts or race up a lane on the motorway/dual carriageway that is closed off (for road works) 400 yds up the road and then expect other drivers to let you in, or give other drivers abuse cause they used their horn at you, or give drivers abuse at traffic lights cause they haven't moved off within a second of them going green. Lets face it we all do it at sometime or another.

I agree there is a stigma about Merc & Bmw drivers (even the ****** in 316's) who think they own the road, it must be phsychological cause the same thing happened to my missus when she used her dads merc for 3 months (he was in Australia), her driving changed and she seemed to think everyone should move over and let her past.
Old 25 November 2003, 12:18 PM
tmo
Scooby Regular

Merc's, BMW's and focus drivers !!

Why !
Old 25 November 2003, 12:23 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

though it's easy to see that if we were in the US, I might have been packing a Glock instead of a torch, and he might have had a 12 gauge in his boot; and it's easier to pull a trigger than swing a piece of aluminium...
No actually it's not as most Americans are brought up with guns in their culture and have learned to respect them properly.

The fact that in many states people can carry a weapon and can use it if they need to (according to a sensible set of laws and guidelines that the majority understand and respect) is probably the reason why in many parts of the US car crime, burglary and road rage are considerably less common than here in the UK.

I work out in the US quite a lot and in general feel a lot safer there than I do here in the UK. In the UK the only people running around with firearms are the criminals - makes me feel very safe in my bed at night (NOT).

Let's not even get in to the fact that you have no right to protect your property in the UK ...

tiggers.
Old 25 November 2003, 12:31 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Have to agree I feel generally safer in the USA as people never know if you are carrying or not. Most of my friends there have concealed carry permits and one was forced to draw in self-defence during a road rage incident. If I was him I'd have shot the guy in the head rather than in the leg.
Here in France it's legal to carry pepper spray and extensible batons and use them in self defence- I've used the spray in Paris to fend off some people who wanted to rob me. Why the UK doesn't change it's laws to allow self protection I cannot understand.
Old 25 November 2003, 12:37 PM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

Question

Let this be a lesson then! I am approaching a crawler lane at 80-100 mph approx (In my pickup) Three slower cars on the inside of the lane. As I'm about to go past the guy at the front pulls out to block me!! Now I figured he must just be stupid and blind so let it slide, and pull in behind as the crawler lane ends. After the crawler lane is a village (40 limit) As we get to the village he slows to 25mph?! I figure he must be looking for a turn. Nope, 30 seconds later he is still at it. It dawns on me this ***** is just being an A hole! So I'm starting to get a bit of red mist, but still hanging back 10 meters not making any aggresive signs. The road ahead is now clear for a good 1/4 mile so I go for a fast (Pickup) overtake still in the village I'm sorry to say. He guns it! Not good for me (pickup) but its to late, I have a small head of steam and get past at approx 65mph. As I go creep past he is blasting his horn, as I pull in front he is on his lights, making signs and mouthing words. He now matches my speed of approx 65mph for several hundred meters still flashing. He then brakes and pulls in to a private driveway.

A that point two feelings are running in my head, A silly but good feeling of **** you! I got past. This quickly passes and I start to rage in my head.

The place (My Folks home) I was staying that night was about 2 miles away from this guys house (13 minute run). I brooded over it for an hour then went to my old room, put on some old black joggers and a black gym top and got my crappy old lock knife. A token from my school trips to France many years ago.

I jogged the distance looking like any other runner. I got to the drive and went past checking for a security light. On the way back I stopped to catch my breath and to slash three of his four tyres.

The moral of the story?! I dont know!
Old 25 November 2003, 12:59 PM
stanmo
Scooby Regular

S Page
>> STANMO you really are a polite driver??.

Of course not. This time I think I was following the rules at
a roundabout; no point shouting at him because he wouldn't have
heard anyway with his windows wound up.

When I do any of the above that you mentioned, intentional or not, I usually realise I'm wrong, am a bit sheepish and try not to aggravate the situation. I generally put a hand up if someone
lets me in to show some gratitude.

I've never actually got out of the car when I was wrong and tried to take a swipe. For starters this is stupid, since 80kg human vs 1300kg car isn't fair. Second, you never know what the other driver is carrying (a friend who indulged frequently in road rage finally had a gun pulled on him, he walked away rather sharpish and has changed his ways since).

If I were still a hot(ter) headed single person in his twenties, I probably would have thought 'what the hell' and got out and swung away at the chap, his car and anything else in range; and if one of my blows had connected I'd probably have carried on, and been up for manslaughter without a doubt; and I'd have expected the same in return.

Yes, I've noticed quite a few idiot BM and Merc drivers, but I think they're round every corner; and don't all drive these cars.
If people tend to stereotype you if you drive these cars, then that's something you have to accept as part of the image.
It's all a matter of choice.

Tiggs.....
You mention most of the gun owning public in the US grow up with them in their culture, but behind the wheel, in the car congested UK, temper levels do rise and someone who might be rational in a shop queue if slighted is likely to be more angry behind the wheel on the road. For a minority with lesser self control, in a similar situation, they might be pushed over their threshold and snap, in which case the less harmful weapons there are to hand, the better. I know because I know I have a very bad temper myself.

If I was in a rage, I might had enough self restraint to not shoot someone in the head, but I probably would have emptied the clip in his legs; which again is unacceptable.

It's not the majority who are in question, it's the minority.
Old 25 November 2003, 01:09 PM
GuyM
Scooby Regular

Does anybody actually own a Merc, or are they ALL company cars??
Old 25 November 2003, 01:10 PM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

yesterday morning, i pull up to a mini round about, look right, then forward then left, then right again, as i lift clutch i looked back left, this 53 reg merc has come from nowhere from the left (its a straight road) and shoots across in front of me (i was on the roundabout and had right of way!!) he was doing at least 50mph, this is a 30mph road, i do the horn and swear, i turn right as i intended and booted it after him, by this time he was still accelerating and went straight across the next mini round about.

i was shuddering at the possible outcome as he went across.

thing that gets me is there are school kids evrywhere at this time and he had some kids in the car.

Utter ****, thank god i never caught him up or another case of road rage!!!

Old 25 November 2003, 01:14 PM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

funny, just got this email from my mate as i was doing last post!!!

freaky

anyway, check this out for road rage
Old 25 November 2003, 01:17 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

stanmo,

I agree re. the minority, but I can only say what I see. I spend approx. 4 months out of the year in the US and do a lot of driving out there (even got my own SUV ).

Road rage is considerably less prevalent than over here and I can't help, but feel that being brought up a more disciplined society that allows the victim to legally realiate in many circumstances has something to do with it.

Let's face it most people in the UK only commit road rage because they know they'll get away with it as if their victim retaliates they can take him/her to court. This country's legal system and laws are a joke as are the police and it's only going to get worse.

tiggers.
Old 25 November 2003, 01:36 PM
The Boy
Scooby Regular

Word of warning!!!

Some time ago some numpty in a van cut me up very badly on a roundabout and slip road going down onto the motorway. As I went past him he was going absolutly mad. Hanging out of the window he went so crazy he did'nt know what to do with himself. He was deffo in the wrong so I found this pretty amusing, so blew him a kiss, gave a little waze dropped into 2nd and was gone oto the motorway........next thing I know there's been an accident up ahead but I had forgotten about the incident on the slip road...until huge,hairy crazy pikey runs across 3 lanes of traffic, jumps into the passanger seat ( doh! I had'nt had the scoob long and did'nt know were the central locking was ) still mad he proceded to punch me round the face until he presumably got bored. He then told me not to blow kiss's at him again!!! Whats the chance of that..
Old 25 November 2003, 01:49 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Question

Is it just me or does anyone else find Citreon Xantias, C5 (or whatever they are) the most arsey drivers you can find?
Old 25 November 2003, 02:53 PM
kentscooby2
Scooby Regular

Angry

Right - I'm NOT one of the 'holier than thou' brigade re speeding etc and we have ALL been guilty of cutting the odd person up either in error or intentionally in the past.

But WHOA. The premeditated violence in these threads is a serious concern. Had up until now thought Scoobynet a fairly reasonable bunch with shared passion for lumpy-bonneted Japanese (careful not to use abbreviation after recent post)motors. oh and Sports without the lumps, Justy's, pick-ups etc before you all start.

Haven't some of the above considered that a modicum of restraint might just save the day? And before you all rant about being a peace-loving hippy, my past life involved dealing with violence and big weapons. Bravado is usually misplaced and ends in tears.
Old 25 November 2003, 02:54 PM
mwp
Scooby Regular

with you on that one, ali-b

... and guyM ... I own a merc.

[Edited by mwp - 11/25/2003 2:57:18 PM]
Old 25 November 2003, 03:00 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

tmp said....
Merc's, BMW's and focus drivers !!
rb5 286 said...
funny, just got this email from my mate as i was doing last post!!!

freaky!

anyway, check this out for road rage
Clicky

Hmmmmmm, a Focus..... Freaky!

Prime Suspect - tmo! lol

Old 25 November 2003, 03:07 PM
The Boy
Scooby Regular

Kentscooby2

I agree,

After my episode I turn the other cheek now and drive on. After said chap jumped in my motor and had done his Roy Jones Jn. impression I thought that if he'd had a knife, wrench or something else destructive I could have been in alot of trouble. It's fankly not worth it.
Old 25 November 2003, 03:24 PM
tmo
Scooby Regular

Hmmmmmm focus driver! not that I condone this sort of behaviour.

Often find it's the little gimps that shoot up behind you, swerve round you pull in front of you, you flash (thinking pr!ck) so they give you the two fingered coulthard salute then proceed to swerve across all the lanes and nip off at the next junction at the last minute. Maybe he did it to somebody with there family in the car !!

Saw a classic last week with a guy in a light blue Lexus and a LARGE dude in a van, obviously the guy in the Lexus had seriously p!ssed the guy in the van off. It went on for a good couple of miles in crawling traffic. Basically the van was trying to pin the Lexus against the Armco, so the driver could get out and “have a little chat “ with the Lexus driver. Lexus did everything to get away, even flagged the van off as he veered dramatically to get off at Junc 39. very brave eh !
By the way the Lexus was being driven before the van appeared (both came on at Junc.38 M1 Northbound) he obviously wanted to get away from the van as quickly as possible. I have seen the Lexus since and he does drive like an utter tw@t.

As I said in a post last week concerning a vectra on the M1, if you drive like a tw@t I will treat you like a tw@t. People often ignore the initial driving infringement and concentrate on the follow actions.
Old 25 November 2003, 03:36 PM
The Boy
Scooby Regular

Question

So someone drives like a **** and that gives some knuckle-dragger in a van the right to bash them on the side of the road??

Don't you think that's a bit warped...
Old 25 November 2003, 04:03 PM
tmo
Scooby Regular

So you think i'm warped !
Old 25 November 2003, 04:14 PM
The Boy
Scooby Regular

I have no idea....

But condoning driving related violence is not right IMHO.

When some poor sod makes a honest mistake, forgets to apologise and is dragged out of the car and stabbed is far away from the handbags a ten paces normally seen.

As stated I frankly don't think it's worth it
Old 25 November 2003, 04:30 PM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

What is it with driving to cause this type of rage?

A while ago I got cut up by a van driver, just did not look or indicate and moved into my lane (2 lane road). A mile or so down the road, little old granny in Micra indicates and cuts up same van driver. So what does he do? Horn, abuse, fingers etc out of the window!

Why? She is a little old lady, someone's granny, not the best driver in the world admitidly, but then no worse than van driver.

Now, if she had steped out of a shop in front of him while he was walking along, would he have swarn and shouted at her? I doubt it!
So why do people do it in cars/van etc?

Quick Reply: More road rage...