Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Nicked for doing 246km/h in France

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2003, 07:47 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obviously Mr Barlow from the UK doesn't read ScoobyNet (being a BMW owner I suppose he wouldn't ) so he won't have seen the last message on driving in France - nicked for doing 246km/h and sentenced to 5 days in a French prison as reported on the french telly

Oo-er, a frog prison? No thanks.

The "prevention" week has long since gone but the gendarmes are still cracking down heavily all over the place (very heavily in my area) so continue to be careful if you are taking a trip across the channel, and don't forget, radar detectors are banned here.
Old 25 November 2003, 09:57 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
5 Days in prison
Old 25 November 2003, 10:03 AM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Eeeek, glad they did not catch me in march
Old 25 November 2003, 10:17 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Poor bloke- still at least prison food is better of here, I think.

I got done by a laser gun wielding arrogant gendarme doing 70kph over the limit, he warned me that much faster and my driving licence would have been confiscated and potentially I could have gone to gaol. I resisted the temptation to say "keep the change" from the 100 Euro note I gave him for the 90Euro fine and instead smirked a lot and pretended not to speak French or understand his English. Instead of targeting Autoroute users they should get into the towns and do some of the appalling drivers I see doing 80-90kph in a 50 zone. The tossers have their priorities all wrong.
French drivers are some of the worst in Europe.
Old 25 November 2003, 10:31 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

The French have obviously looked across the channel with envy at the way B.Liar and the Cronies are fleecing British drivers, and thought, "we could do that"!

I agree totally with the comments about autoroute versus town, but they ARE certainly active in towns too.
In fact a fave spot is often at the entry/exit to a small village with 50kph limit, catching LOADS of folk who accelerate back up to 90 too early, or decelerate to 50 too late.:

Best one I saw last summer was gendarmes on the A20, who closed the outer lane of a two lane autoroute, sited a speed trap in it, put a temporary 110kph, followed by a temporary 90kph, and then absolutely coined it!:mad;

Alcazar
BTW: No, I was towing a trailer!:
Old 25 November 2003, 11:55 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
While I'm on my soapbox they should perhaps try educating their idiot drivers to leave a good stopping distance, how to use roundabouts and that "touch" parking is for connards. Tossers.
Old 25 November 2003, 12:15 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Translated

A rare condemnation but a penalty to the height of speed. A Britisher of 33 years flashé Sunday to 246 km/h on the expressway was condemned Monday to five days of prison closes and 55 days with suspended sentence by the criminal court of Holy omer. It was placed in detention, and this for "endangered life of others".

Besides this penalty that it purges to the prison of Longuenesse, the motorist had to pay a fine of 750 Euros. His vehicle, a BMW M3, that had been confiscated for him, was returned to his companion.

Shaun Barlow, native of Surrey in Great Britain, had been taken in flagrant excesses offence of speed by a radar to the laser Sunday to Esquerdes, close to Holy omer, on the expressway A26, in the direction Reims-Holy-Omer. A speed of 233 km/h finally had been kept to take account of the error percentage potential.

Old 25 November 2003, 12:22 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Talking

Nice translation
Old 25 November 2003, 12:40 PM
Abbylad
Scooby Regular

French drivers are class, as long as you`re not driving alongside them!
I go to Paris for a long weekend for horse racing every year and its now become ritual that on a saturday afternoon we sit outside a cafe near the arc de triomph and watch everyone crash into one another and not even give a toss about it.
Even had one bloke reverse into a parking spot that wasn`t big enough for his car, so he just drove into the car behind him and pushed it back a few yards!!!!!!!!! class!!!!!!!!!!
Old 25 November 2003, 12:59 PM
NACRO
BANNED

I used to live in Paris and I kid you not, I once saw a guy use a very new looking 360 Modena as a battering ram to make the space he was parking in big enough.
As for the Arc De Triumph I lived round the corner from it in the 17em, we'd often walk into the middle at rush hour and laugh at all the collisions, about the only entertainment in that awful place that doesn't cost anything.
Old 25 November 2003, 01:00 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Holy omer
LOL, Do they mean the French city St Omer?

Ain't machine translation brilliant?
Old 25 November 2003, 04:30 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Alcazar:
In fact a fave spot is often at the entry/exit to a small village with 50kph limit, catching LOADS of folk who accelerate back up to 90 too early, or decelerate to 50 too late
Yep, nail on the head. I've seen the buggers around my manor for the last couple of weeks and they are stopping loads of people. I'm beginning to wonder if they aren't on commission these days and Christmas is just around the corner (so are les flics).