ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Bob,Branco,Broquet

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2000, 11:45 PM
rb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Bob,Branco
Its a while since i supplied the Broquet,i have seen some feedback on the 22b bbs.
Can you update me
Thanks in anticipation rb
Old 25 May 2000, 11:29 PM
rb
Scooby Regular

Ditto

Old 26 May 2000, 09:07 AM
Bob Rawle
Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just seen this .. been on hol as most know.

Ok, not time to type reams but ...

Fitting was relatively straight forward, I would recommend thst you remove the rear seats in the saloon though as if you get the packs in the wrong place then you will jam up the fuel level sensors, also its important to place them towards the front of the tank in the car as the anti-slosh buckets are directly under the hatches.

First impressions after driving the car 10 miles to fill up with fuel. Bear in mind my car runs Link.

Car ran much more smoothly, engine pick up better and throttle response seemed better, on the way back I tried a couple of "blatts" and had to turn the boost sensitivity down ... again engine more responsive.

Drove car and used half a tank to allow full effect.

Started to see how much I could increase boost/timing, have to say that I could not increase timing without reducing boost. Any timing increase caused transition det (not constant knock). It was possible to change the boost profile though and I am able to run a more aggressive boost ramp than before, also I can hold more boost at high revs, boost also stays "up" better and is even more stable.

So have sinced focused on seeing what benefits I could get, combustability seems better, I have been able to open up spark plug gaps, car is much much smoother (it was good before) and I am able to run significantly more off boost timing. With the Link version 3 its made the engine run in a more stable and smooth way especially at idle, starting has never been a problem but the engine now "springs" into life.

During the period since I fitted it I have had two tanks of "bad" fuel, have to say I got severe knock both times so I have not bothered to try 95 ron, its not going to allow me to use that.

Fuel consumption has improved by up to 15%, some of that is due to the revised timing, plug gaps etc but the Broquet allowed me to change that.

So conclusions, is it worth it ?

For me I have to say that it certainly is worth it, not because of increased ron values, but because it allows the engine to run in a more effective way, combustion is better and the behaviour of the car as I have it set up was noticeably improved. Better fuel consumption, smoother running, better "off boost" performance.

For a standard car I would say that all the above benefits should appear, the better combustability of the fuel using Broquet should assist the engine and everyone likes improved fuel consumption. I would suggest that when broquet is fitted to a standard car then an ecu reset is in order (disconnect the battery for 30 mins). Probably best done after the tank has been filled and approx half used so that the Broquet is working. The ecu will then make the most of the Broquet advantages.

I am about to try the additiion of booster this weekend to cross check the effects again, when ever I have used booster in the past I have always been able to increase timing (I have only ever put it in for track use though). My prediction is that the booster will allow more advance but I will report that next week.

Sorry for the briefness, I have actually spent many hours and about 4,500 miles of driving, adjusting and monitoring so far, will gladly answer specific questions to anyone who has them.

Bob
Old 26 May 2000, 10:06 PM
rb
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply Bob, i have been involved with this poduct for 12 years and along with the manufacturers and several university professors with extensive knowledge of chemistry and combustion still have difficulty in explaining how the improvements occur,Subaru and i believe Fuji Heavy Industries possibly have more knowledge than myself and those closely involved with the product(test facilities and cheque book).
Any furhther info as the testing proceeds would be of great interest, or suggestions as to areas we can research to further our knowledge would also be of great help.
Thanks again Bob keep in touch.
Peter Wright (rb)

Old 26 May 2000, 10:56 PM
rb
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the reply Bob.
I did write a lenghty reply but it only appeared on the BBS for a couple of minutes then mysteriously disappeared.
Any further updates would be appreciated and any pointers towards the theory of what Broquet is actually doing, is it chemistry or is combustion related.
We have used a number of university professors with extensive knowledge of chemistry and or combustion and testing equipment such as the (Bomb) at Leeds University, Gas Chromatograph and various other pieces of equipment to pin down precisely what is happening during the combustion process but are still unable to explain fully why the improvements occur with all Hydrocarbon based fuels.
I could go on all night.
To date one manufacturer uses them, who shall remain nameless.
Thanks again Bob keep in touch.
Peter Wright (rb)
Old 26 May 2000, 10:59 PM
rb
Scooby Regular

Odd my first reply has now re-appeared