Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Subaru Dealerships.......

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2003, 04:24 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anybody know what Subaru are playing at? With so many dealerships closing down lately it kind of makes me wonder whether they really care about UK customers wanting to buy their cars!!

Found out at the weekend that my local (Oakley Subaru) dealer have since been unable to re-sign a new contract with them as there are now a couple of new clauses in there that make it financial stupid for them to run as a Subaru franchise!

Just wondered what everybody elses thoughts were on this?

Andy
Old 03 November 2003, 07:06 PM
rb5tfh
Scooby Regular

I agree. Basingstoke has closed now, which means driving about 40 miles for a service . . . somewhere where they don't even do their own wheel alignments!
Old 03 November 2003, 08:14 PM
Lanes
Scooby Regular

T4Molie, I used Oakley too....any ideas of where to go now? Maybe Subaru will get the message and start looking at that contract!

Old 03 November 2003, 10:16 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Angry

Lanes,

I've been looking on subaru.co.uk to work out which were the nearest dealers and at the moment (depending on what happens to MK dealership - http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=263124) the nearest for me is looking like either Quenby's of Baldock or Westaways in Northampton (Spratton) !!

Got my 12 month / not quite 10k service coming up in December....so great timing not!

Andy
Old 03 November 2003, 10:23 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

I used to drive 50 minutes each way from MK to Fenny Compton (junction 111/12 M40) as they were independent, cheaper than anyone nearer to me and have the same mechanics they've had for years on Subaru.

International Motors watch out -
a) You are losing product and dealership competitiveness
b) Continue your franchise strategy and lose more customers
c) Why should I buy another Subaru ?
Old 03 November 2003, 10:45 PM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

The reason behind so many dealers closing is the "block exemption" ruling, which came into effect on 1st October 2003.
All the Subaru Dealer network were issued with "termination notices" on the 1st October 2002, thus giving them 12mths notice of closure, unless they accepted new guidelines about the "corporate image" standards that Subaru UK wanted the dealers to comply with.
To a lot of dealers this meant a large financial outlay to revamp their premises, so many of them simply carried on buisness untill their contracts ran out in October. they kept things quiet from their customers simply so they could still make money while they could,thus only telling the customers at the last minute, otherwise they would of lost money hand over fist as the majority of people would of moved to another dealer months ago.
This may sound dirty of the dealers to of done this, but if you were in their shoes, would you of not done the same to keep the pennies rolling into your bank account for as long as possible.
Subaru UK have "used" the block exemption ruling to their benefit, by having yet another "lever" to prise yet more money out of the dealers who have retained their franchise, thus making then "look good" to Subaru headquarters, as the dealers are now complying to newer image status and requirements.
I suppose the next thing will be courtyard areobics by "all employees" or the samurai will be out with the ceremonial sword!
Old 04 November 2003, 06:38 AM
Silver Knight
Scooby Regular

Partly correct.

Also because of block exemption anyone is allowed to sell any make of car providing you meet the standards of the manufacturer/importer of the brand you wish to sell,If you meet the standards they cannot refuse to sell you cars, So what the manufacturers have done is make the standards hard to meet and expensive so that "fred in a shed" will find it to hard to reach the standards.
If you have a free for all in the market (which is what block exemption is meant to do) you could be buying your cars from halfords/Kqik fit and the like.
At least the way they are doing it now you will still have some standards (even if you don't like them now).
Old 04 November 2003, 04:06 PM
Lanes
Scooby Regular

T4Molie,

When you have been to Spratton or Baldock, will you let me know your opinion? I think Spratton is closer to me.

Did you call them on Saturday morning?

Lanes