Sponsored by:

Top marks to Subaru Assistance!!

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2003, 04:37 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Well, I just KNEW I had bought an extended warranty for something! and that something happened whilst on holiday in the North York Moors, last Sunday (First day of holiday!!)

Went to Tesco in Thirsk .... left the dog in the back so did my usual setting of the alarm without interior protection.

The alarm wouldn't set properly, didn't respond most of the time and then did then didn't!!

Left the dog in the car with the alarm fully set ... by the time I had reached the doors to the shop the alarm had been set off - Doh!

Back to the car, this is a small issue in Newbury with strong aerial signals and stuff - so I was used to the issues ... decided to drive elsewhere, no start!!

The bleeper had packed in altogether!! So we pushed the car to another part of the car park - still no luck, then another part of the car park, still no-go!!

Looked in the manual at the alarm section and see that I can overide the alarm by using my PIN - so, I follow instructions:-

1. Key in ignition on, type in PIN

2. Start car

NOTHING!!

Tried 3 times then I assumed it would lock you out of the keypad ... decided to go into the shop anyway and use up the 30 minutes required between attempts - locked car on key (first time in 40 months!)

Anyway, 40 minutes later come back to car and still no-go!!

Getting rather pi55ed off now!!

Went into Tesco and ring Subaru Assistance - they will send a garage out to me ..... could I ring back in 10 minutes and they would give me the name of the outfit who they had called on and the time of arrival, OK I said.

I rang back and they thought they had the answer without sending anyone out!! They conference called a 'Man who can' and he talked me through the PIN procedure and there we are, Start Up!! Excellent service!!! Thanks if you are on here!!

Just wanted to post a pat on the back!!

Pete
Old 02 November 2003, 07:01 PM
P1_BEN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know exactly what you mean... Sainsbury in newbury.... When ever I go in there I have to lock the car with the key, then when I get back in i have to hold the alarm fob down in the footwell and press the button to deactivate the imobiliser...
Seems to shield it from the interference...
only place it happens though....
Old 02 November 2003, 10:28 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

The footwell?? Interesting ...... anyone know where the sensor unit is in the Impreza circa MY2000??

I cannot see any detector at all and never have!!

Pete
Old 03 November 2003, 08:04 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
If your car is under warranty then anyone who is having trouble can get a new upgraded alarm unit free.

If not then try putting the keyfob under the offside front wheel arch and activate it or under the steering column near the peddals.

F
Old 03 November 2003, 09:28 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I was just going to say, get the Sigma changed under warrantee (Sigma's, not Subaru, although all Subaru dealers will sort this out)

I had the same thing with mine - got it changed to a sheilded one and hey presto, all sorted

Dan
Old 03 November 2003, 09:29 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
The keyless entry module on 97-00MY is above the pedals in the drivers footwell.

If you get on your knees and peer under the lower plastic shrouding below the column you can see it - it's a black plastic box about 1" x 2"

This would explain why by putting the keyfob near the wheel, you are pretty close to the box, and it works.

Also try pressing the keyfob to a bony part of your body. Your body acts as an antenna incresing the signal.... It really works!
Old 03 November 2003, 06:08 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Interesting about changing under warranty - would need to read the docs to see if its covered under the extended warranty or not?

I certainly have trouble with it not working all the time - a shielded one would solve the problems but is it covered if it just doesn't work occassionally?? If I could find a dealer that is STILL a Subaru dealer then I would ask!!

Pete
Old 04 November 2003, 07:58 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine was changed under extended warranty. They know its intermitant.

F
Old 04 November 2003, 02:16 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Cheers Floyd!!

Pete