ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

New Gatsos and Square Number plates

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2000, 01:57 PM
Tommy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Car magazine this month mentions the new Gatsos which read your number plate and automatically send you a fine. It says they can't read a number plate which is on two lines.

Does anybody know if this applies to front or rear number plates, I think that it is front. Also I think I've seen a picture of an Impreza with a square front plate, but I wondered if it blocks the air flow significantly. Anybody got any experience?
Old 22 May 2000, 02:03 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Mine was square on 1st Scoob - didn't notice any difference...I think Bentleys of Harrogate send all their new Scoobs out with square plates...
Old 22 May 2000, 02:19 PM
Ian Sutton
Scooby Regular

Question

Don't all the gatso's take the photo's from the rear??

So as not to get a photo sent to your house of a blonde woman sitting in your passenger seat(when the wifes brunette).This and the fact that motor bikes only have rear plates and there nearly always on 2 lines ?????

...Ian (it don't make sense??)
Old 22 May 2000, 04:51 PM
sickboy
Scooby Regular

I'd guess that would be a major oversite on the part of the maker.

If I was in the DOT I wouldn't sign for a system like that.

Here's hoping to Governmental incompetence!
Old 22 May 2000, 04:58 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Time to buy a Shogun and drive over rushhour traffic...

Square plates are legal. So the cameras will be able to read them... maybe not in this version of the software, but it's just a software issue, so it won't be long.

Moray
Old 22 May 2000, 05:01 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

I have seen the software they use with the Met's M25 observation cameras and they can DEFINITELY read 2 line numbers (& in fog like pea soup, blizzards, torrential rain etc!)

As for Gatso's I will try to get onto some of my distant Serco collegues who deal with these darned things, see if they know?

Chris
(Embarrassed to be working for such a company)

[This message has been edited by CharlieWhiskey (edited 22-05-2000).]
Old 22 May 2000, 05:01 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Some of the new digital camera's certainly only take photos from the front, this might be in response to the ruling recently whereby a car owner no longer has to incriminate himself or another by saying whoo was driving. There was a big thing about it in the MCN, bikers were laughing their ***** off!
Seen some on the A14, spaced a mile apart - very annoying cos they time u over the mile - no speedin up and slowing down, not that i'd dream of that anyway .
Charles
Old 22 May 2000, 05:13 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Some of the new Gatzo's do both directions in the same head unit (so they no longer have to spin them around for each) so they must take some from the front.

As for those on the A14, what are they? I know that the new TrafficMaster sensors (Blue pole & small head) read every 8th or so car number and time it to the next position - but these are specifically designed not to be admissable as evidence and they can't record any details of the car itself.
Old 22 May 2000, 05:16 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

No, these aren't the traffic flow things, these are big grey mothers, with a massive calibration line accross the road at each point. Definitely the new digital speedo's.
Very effective there too, everyone does 69.5 mph for the 3 miles between the first and last one.
Charles
Old 22 May 2000, 06:03 PM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Angry

Aaaah,

Wondered what they were, I thought they were the Tuvelo (sp?) cameras that work when you cross the marked lines in the road. I go to Warboys quite often and the A14 is very constant at 68ish mph over the stretch described.

Just a thought, but if you could pass one in the outside lane at the same time as a large truck passed the same one in the inside lane you would not be seen by the lens perhaps....

I'll get me coat

Yex