Flat battery STI7

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2003, 07:42 AM
ShyTot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Help,
I have a flat battery on an STI7 (after 6 days of not driving) and a very cold morning....

I've got a battery charger(2 or 3 amp job), but what it the best way to charge it up?

Do I disconnect it? Or do it connected. If I do disconnect will the alarm get annoyed - will it even know as it's flat anyway
Any advice appreciated
Old 24 October 2003, 07:55 AM
dave-h
Scooby Regular

mine went flat while i was away on hols last year just got a jump start and took it for a long run, saves disconecting the battery to charge it.
Old 24 October 2003, 07:59 AM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

Start the car with jump leads (don't bump it as this may damage the cats) and whip it round to your local battery place.
They have a tester (looks like a big set of tweezers) that tells if the battery is holding its charge.
If its not, change the battery.
If it is then the alternator is probably goosed, but that can also be tested by a garage.
6 days is a little quick for a battery to loose its charge, are you sure that nothing was left switched on ? (side lights are a favourite) .
Chris
P.s. Driving the car with all electrical things switched off is one of the best ways of charging the battery. (and the most fun )
Old 24 October 2003, 08:16 AM
nigelward
Scooby Regular

If you still have warranty on the car take it to the dealer, the battery in my MY01 WRX failed after 21 months and was replaced under warranty.
Old 24 October 2003, 08:41 AM
jk100
Scooby Regular

I had a flat battery on my STI 7, and called the AA as I had no jump leads and in the middle of nowhere. He confessed to not being an expert on Subarus, but he couldn't get any charge to run into the battery despite all the kit they have on board. Finally he gave up trying, and arranged to get me towed. He then left, I tried one more time - and this time it started, and I've never had a problem since. Any got any ideas what this was about?