Which Mod?????

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2003, 11:25 PM
-=Mick=-
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi guys....
I have had my (was going to keep standed)99uk a couple of weeks now and i need a mod.... Maybe a dump valve or a set of clear indicators.. Any suggestions on what mod i can spend a little bit of cash on?
Old 16 October 2003, 11:31 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Clear indicators look nice, for the 5 seconds that you look at them each time oyu get in the car, but a Dump Valve.....

You'll be changing gears every 5 seconds to hear that ttssshhhhhhhhhhh. Lovely!

Get the best one you can afford (Blitz if possible) but Forge etc are good too. Make sure its a VTA and not re-circ though.
Old 16 October 2003, 11:39 PM
-=Mick=-
Scooby Newbie

Yeah i really want a dump valve are they easy to fit? Also why the hell did subaru not colour code the vents under the indicators? I think i might spend a bit of money on some paint this month too.
Old 16 October 2003, 11:44 PM
v5 man
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

mick, dump valve thumbs up here. if you havent changed your back box though, thats gotta take priority. just need to bring out the impreza `zorst note and then a dump valve
Old 16 October 2003, 11:50 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Lil bitta advice here,mate.After 3 months of getting my scoob,I got this mod bug.I got a lot of things done(all exterior and the zorst)but I did fit a Le Mans Dump valve and K&N induction kit.They wrecked my MAF sensor which cost me £200 to fix.
Just be careful with engine mods.
Old 17 October 2003, 12:00 AM
-=Mick=-
Scooby Newbie

Cheers mate for the advice, cant afford to do many mods. Apart from a dump valve i am going to keep clear of engine mods at the moment. The standed performance is a massive step up from my old Saxo Vts i have no need to improve it.. Yet.
Old 17 October 2003, 12:17 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Mick, count to ten before changing the DV. It won't make your car work any bettter - in fact, using a vent to atmosphere dumpvalve will make it work worse due to overfuelling at idle and lift-off.

If all you care about is scaring old grannies, fit a VTA dumpvalve by all means. If making your car actually work better matters to you however, there are plenty of more useful things you could spend your money on.

Why not keep the standard DV (which works more than adequately) and replace the air filter with a Green or K&N one? That way you'll get more induction and slightly more dump noise, as well as a subtle improvement in throttle response. No downside either.

BTW, Subaru did colour code the vents under the indicators, they're actually made of black plastic. Don't ask us why they're orange - presumably supposed to match the indicator lenses or something!

[Edited by greasemonkey - 10/17/2003 12:21:00 AM]
Old 17 October 2003, 12:38 AM
stevoWRX
Scooby Regular

Greasemonkey,

Know this sounds daft , but does changing the filter affect your insurance ( do I have to tell them as it ups power by few bhp ) or warranty ? Paranoid about effin up my policy .. Any excuse not to pay out !
Old 17 October 2003, 12:54 AM
darth mick
Scooby Regular

Smile

I have a second hand K&N air filter up for grabs £18
The best sound you can mod on your car is the back box mate!!!
Old 17 October 2003, 01:48 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Know this sounds daft
Not remotely

but does changing the filter affect your insurance ( do I have to tell them as it ups power by few bhp )
Does it? Replacing a knackered old bunged-up filter with a new one would probably increase your power output a bit, but you don't phone your insurance company when you have the car serviced.

I think you'll find that most manufacturers' claims for aftermarket filters stop short of definite power gains. If they don't give you a figure, as far as you're concerned, there isn't one.

I had this conversation with the last broker I was with, and was told that "consumable" parts like filter elements, belts, brake pads and so-on didn't constitute "modifications" and thus weren't notifiable. If, OTOH you junked the airbox and fitted an induction kit, you probably would have to tell them.

or warranty ?
Slightly nebulous one that, and might depend on the specific circumstance, and dealer. There was one here recently where a car was taken in with engine damage, and the dealer replied that the MAF sensor had blown due to gunk from the ITG filter that was fitted, and thus there's no warranty.

However, the K&N and Green filters are very safe in this particular respect, and I believe that there's a letter from K&N somewhere saying that they'll help any customers contest any warranty claims that are refused due to the fitment of one of their filters. You certainly shouldn't have a problem if, for example, a shock absorber failed, as there's no way the air filter could affect it one way or t'other.
Old 18 October 2003, 02:04 AM
stevoWRX
Scooby Regular

Cheers Greasemonkey ,

Have added one to my shopping list !!

but might still check with Direct Line using same argument you had with your broker .

Old 18 October 2003, 02:54 AM
LB4
Scooby Regular

Forget the dump valve for now( or completely ) .... save up and do the back box, you'll enjoy that ALL the time, not just when changing gears, plus they look so much nicer than the standard one.