ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Subaru Extended Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2003, 06:39 PM
Pete The Biker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My MY00 Turbo has just come up to 3 years old, with 40K on it.

Any thoughts on the extended warranty package? £440 for 2 years, or £289 for 1 year (both with 60K limitation), including recovery and £150 Thomas Cook discount vouchers.

My miserly nature says don't cough up cash if you don't have to, but on the other hand maybe the bills are looming? What's the concensus?

By the way, I mentioned my clutch judder when I took it in for its 45K service today, and without any pressure they have got a replacement clutch approved under warranty.

Pete The Biker
Old 14 October 2003, 07:25 PM
Soapy Sam
Scooby Regular

Judder - if they have agreed to replace the clutch, don't forget to demand a replacement/skimmed flywheel or the judder will return. You will have high spots on the flywheel.

The trouble is, I have always found the subaru OE clutch too "grabby" ie. too on and off. It's almost as though the friction material is sticky, making smooth gerachanges difficult. Once my MY99 got above 60k, I binned the warranty and modded it including a Helix sports clutch (and skimmed flywheel), the difference is amazing, at last changing gear was smooth and easy.

Having said that, the extended warranty saved me at least £2k as the synchro went on 3rd, 4th and 5th, repaired under warranty in 2 sessions a year apart. So, if you are happy with your standard warranted scoob, I'd say go for the extended warranty.

But if I'd known what fun a modded scooby was when I bought the car (2yrs old 25k miles), I think I might have binned the warranty straight away
Old 14 October 2003, 09:26 PM
Dan J
Scooby Regular

My MY00's factory warranty ran out in July and I took out the 2 year extended warranty. It's not a lot of money if you consider the potential future repair costs. You're paying for the peace of mind and IMO it's worth every penny.
Old 14 October 2003, 09:37 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

On the Extended warranty I've had a new clutch (judder), both front side glass replaced (scratches) and a broken ABS sensor replaced. I'd say it's payed off for me plus I get the Subaru Assist.
Old 17 October 2003, 06:06 PM
Pete The Biker
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks guys - I have gone for peace of mind!

Just have to hope the car breaks down now so I get my money's worth!!

Pete The Biker
Old 17 October 2003, 06:39 PM
sulli
Scooby Regular

Replacement clutch for clutch judder????
I thought clutch wasn't covered?
As for your question - well worth buying extended i'd say, for your own piece of mind and value for resale. My 5 yrs is coming up, and I can extend for a further year now - wouldn't be able to do if the from new warranty hadn't been extended after 2 yrs.
Old 18 October 2003, 09:59 AM
Pete The Biker
Scooby Regular

Hi Sulli

I hadn't realised that you could extend again after the first 5 years - that's good to know!

I had mentioned the judder to the dealer at a previous service, but they said they could find nothing wrong, and actually it did feel better for a while. From experiment I have found that slipping the clutch in third seems to improve things for a short while, but as the car has clocked up more miles it is definitely getting worse.

I have read of other Scoobynetters getting clutches replaced under warranty (judder appears to be a common problem) so I thought I would give at a go again this time. As I said in the original post, I only mentioned it when I dropped the car off for the service (no ranting or anything) and when I picked the car up they said that a replacement had been authorised. I am well pleased, as driving in stop-start traffic was becoming unpleasant, with the judder evident most of the time. I am just waiting for the parts to come in now so it can be fixed.

Pete The Biker
Old 18 October 2003, 01:40 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Pete

If you have decided to extend the warranty at the (just under?)3 year old mark, make sure that you extend it for as long and as many miles as you think you will own the car.

I say this because if you don't, and decide you want to keep the car longer (and extend warranty again), the extended warranty extension will NOT be to the 'almost manufacturers warranty' standard. I hope this makes sense - basically if its under the official warranty now, extend it as far as you can now !
(My 99MY lost half an engine at £2500, but was covered so the insurance was a bargain)
Old 18 October 2003, 04:51 PM
Pete The Biker
Scooby Regular

Thanks Flat4X4

I went for the extra 2 years of full warranty (taking it to 5 in total) with a limitation of 60k, which fits in with my current 40k + 10k p.a.

This cost £440, but the only other option was 2 years unlimited mileage for £762 - no point for me........

Pete The Biker
Old 06 November 2003, 08:39 PM
Wilster
Scooby Regular

If your clutch judder is too bad then its a fault, not wear and tear, hence its covered by the warranty.
Old 06 November 2003, 09:49 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

talk to your dealer

i went in to renew it and only paid £400 as i didnt want the holliday vouchers #

nothing is FREE in this life