Thumbs down

Here we go again more generalisation sh*t! and throw everybody in the pot

[Edited by triple top - 10/9/2003 10:37:24 PM]
Old 08 October 2003, 07:47 PM
Melina
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

It seems from my reading here and experience of living in various places in Europe(UK - Liverpool L8!, Germany, Spain, Denmark and France) that the car theft situation for Scoobies and Evos and little brothers is far worse in the UK than anywhere else.

I just wonder if anyone can confirm this, and if correct why that is. Normally the British society is an an excellent exponent of high moral values.

If I lived in the UK still, I simply would not have bought my Scooby :-(
I would live in constant fear!

Malene
Old 08 October 2003, 07:54 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

Normally the British society is an an excellent exponent of high moral values
Where did you get that from?? No-body has any respect for anyone else or their property in the U.K., and it seems to get worse day by day! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 08 October 2003, 07:56 PM
Leviathan
Scooby Regular

Because we have a toss goverment that dosn't realy know what its priority's are.
That isnt a very constructive comment i know, but its how i feel.
Old 08 October 2003, 07:56 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry

RichiW: bang on, unfortunately[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Alcazar
Old 08 October 2003, 07:57 PM
Leviathan
Scooby Regular

I couldnt agree more m8.
Old 08 October 2003, 08:16 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Agree totally Mel. Still didn't catch the phone number!!!
dave
Old 08 October 2003, 08:31 PM
Kane
Scooby Regular

Its because as said here already coppers are stretched putting up speed camera's and congestion lanes to sort out the real crime. I can give you example after example of failures in bristol. It seems they are trying to tackle the drugs issue(suppliers)but dont seem to be making a dent in crime at the moment.

Suppliers are make addicts that then perpetrate the crime(some convicted recently were doing £600 a day to make up their crack habbit) which equates to petty off the cuff car crime(handbags and valubles on show) to house breakin's with car keys being stolen etc for later vilans to attend and steal your car.

I cant say it does not worry me as it does. There is only so much you can do. I have a garage being built with security fit for fork knocks but at the end of the day if they really want a car there is nothing i can do about it....except claim on my insurance and put "MY OWN" premiums up..

"SO MUCH FOR BRITISH JUSTICE"
Old 08 October 2003, 08:54 PM
Melina
Scooby Regular

That is illuminating. Thanks. It is probably to do with the polite police then.

In France, it is rather anarchic with an apparent non-systematic police but the problem does not seem to prevail. I was asked no security questions for the insurance for example which suggests that cars thefs are not that frequent.

Old 08 October 2003, 09:07 PM
KINGY71
Scooby Regular

Red face

Have just come back from france(paris) and must say i did'nt see one scooby...........but would you drive round the arc' i think not.
Old 08 October 2003, 09:53 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

So that's where you've been, Kingy
Old 09 October 2003, 12:02 AM
Martin J Stirling
Scooby Regular

Question

Yep, it does certainly seem to be that way.

i am currently living in Barcelona, and although thefts FROM cars are very high, thefts of actual cars do not seem to be a big issue. I investigated the possibility of insuring my Evo over here, and they do not even ask you any security related questions. What affects your premium is your accident history and NCB, not the security measures on your car, or where it is kept.

One thing to consider is the sheer amount of high performance cars in Britain. There are certainly far more performance cars on the road in the UK than in any other European country I have ever been to, loads more. I can go weeks without seeing a Scoob here in Barcelona, or any other high performance car for that matter.

Not sure if it's to do with moral values or not though??

One question I have is, what excatly are these cars being stolen for. Scoobs and Evos, good cars though they may be, aren't exactly worth that much. So are they being stolen for the usual Ram Raids and get-away cars, or are they being broken up for spares?

Surely pricey german cars would be more lucrative targets?

Just my thoughts.

Mart.
Old 09 October 2003, 06:55 AM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

its pure and simple really

the police & goverment wont make any money chasing and trying to sort out car thefts and such.

But they will make millions from speeding & parking fines.

Its easier, they can sit on their butts while the cameras reel in the money for em.

i had a mate who had 2 attempts on his car in 2 consecutive nights, the first they were disturbed by a neighbour walking a dog, the 2nd they had got in and tried to disable the immobiliser, after getting round the alarm.

he called police:

converstion went:

"i'd like 2 report 2 attempted thefts of my car"
"ok sir, can u give me some details"

he explains (as above)

"i'm sorry sir, it loks like they want your car, there's nothing we can do about it, goodbye" puts phone down on him!!!

need i say anymore....
Old 09 October 2003, 07:16 AM
Sicey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I must admit the crime in general sucks in the UK at the mo, I have been living out in Germany for the last 2 years and although you get the usual murders,rapes etc as with any country it makes the UK look terrible.
I dont worry about car jackings or leaving my 2k stereo in my car or driving my scoob , all i worry about is the thing getting scratched and dented when parking up in town centres as no one gives a $hit if they hit your car, nothing new there though.
You only have to read the news today about that car shooting over road rage? WTF is the country coming to?
I will certainly think twice about coming back home when my times up over here, someone needs to get a grip on the country and tidy it up, its a shame really.

John.
Old 09 October 2003, 08:53 AM
Melina
Scooby Regular

KINGY71 - there are not many scoobys here in France at all hence it maintains its rarity value and, I hope, helps reduce the risk of it getting stolen. There are no Evos here at all since you cannot homologate it for the road. One person has had one in his garage for 12 months unable to drive it. I think you are lucky in Britain with all the Catarams and kits allowed on roads and cars but, as we have discussed here, the crime against these are also magnified.
Old 09 October 2003, 09:00 AM
adpd
Scooby Regular

Angry

What do people pay taxes for?

"i'm sorry sir, it loks like they want your car, there's nothing we can do about it, goodbye" puts phone down on him!!!
I would be so disgusted to get that kind of an answer. He should stop paying council tax out of protest. And then get a job cash-in-hand to stop taxation at the source of his pay.

What do the coppers think their job is? It would be an interesting discussion to have down at the local police station.

That sort of attitude will get the country nowhere fast - except further into societal chaos.
Old 09 October 2003, 09:02 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Here's some questions for you all:

Which area of the country seems to have the biggest problem at the mo with violent crime, gun crime, and general lawlessness?

And which part of the country has one of the highest, if not THE highest number of speed traps/cameras etc?

And which part of the country is always first to try out the latest in speed cameras etc?

The answer to all three is..................................

Nottingham............but there's no correlation between the questions, is there Mr Blair? Mr Blunkett?????[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Alcazar
Old 09 October 2003, 09:17 AM
Listy
Scooby Regular

Thats an intersting point actually. I watched a program a few weeks ago, one of those fly on the wall documentary programs following nottingham police around for a few weeks.

It was disgusting. On a Friday and Saturday night there is 1 Copper in the city centre for every 2000+ people. Nottingham had the 3rd highest incedent rate for these nights after London and Manchester.

The CCTV system in the centre is run by the local council and monitored by one of there own muppets, there is no direct link from the CCTV operatives to the copper on the street and any reports of incedents have to be channeled from CCTV Operator to Police HQ through highly stressed and over stretched police dispatcher to dibble on foot or in car.

Absolute waste of time. Before they get a chance to react it's all over and the copper on the street at the scene has no chance what so ever cos he can't talk direct to the CCTV operator. It was pure farce to watch. Even the coppers openly admitted they didn't stand a chance.

Point of Fact though in agreement with all the comments here.. Given that a Gatso costs in excess of £80k to install then plenty more ongoing and I'm bloody sure SPECS ain't cheep I think notts constabulary have their priority's way off line. How many extra police could they fund if they weren't so hung up on easy revenue from their massive network of speed cameras.

It's very difficult to sympathise with these people anymore
Old 09 October 2003, 09:26 AM
apples24
Scooby Regular

i wrekn its down to the good old english public not standing up for themselfs, hence no threat to the thiefs, in the states etc they know they run a risk of bein shot etc, the same in quite a few other countrys.

bring back the death penalty and legalise cannibis and guns i say

ok so hun related deaths would rise big time but atleast we would all still have our wheels
Old 09 October 2003, 10:37 AM
maniac morgan
Scooby Regular

a person breaks in to you house, threatens you, you give him a pasting with your cricket bat, he drops his Knife, .

i end up in prison, and have to pay conpensation for defending myself and my girlfriend.

if he had managed to stick me and rape my girlfriend he would have got 3-5 years

no justice there, and the officaials wonder why people take the law into their own hands.

the balance has gone too far the other way and barristers who defend these people have very questionable morals *******.

Old 09 October 2003, 10:57 AM
Paul Woodward
Scooby Regular

There are about 73,000 prison places in this country and that is at capacity, so lock someone up and you have to let someone out. So much for this government being tough on crime!
Old 09 October 2003, 11:09 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

RichiW,

You got it in one. It is down to dysfunctional parents too I think.

Les
Old 09 October 2003, 11:40 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Angry

The whole country is dysfunctional!
Old 09 October 2003, 12:13 PM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

The whole system is to soft on the culprits and it is too soft for the victims.

The Conservative guy got it right the other day when he said, bring back the birch and hanging.

Sod their human rights, they chose to waver their rights the second they chose to break the law!!!!!!!![img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 09 October 2003, 12:18 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

I told my insurance company that I was going to get a cat1 alarm fitted and he said what is one of them? I asked if my premium would go down due to having an alarm fitted and they said it makes no difference whether fitted or not.
Old 09 October 2003, 08:40 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts
My insurance is cheaper in Germany because I keep the car in a garage... not because its less likely to be stolen but because its less likely to get damaged by a tree or something falling on it during a storm.

I've never met a single person in Germany who's ever had their car broken into, stolen or any of its contents stolen. Or anyone who's had thier house broken into either! I have even been asked the question "why would anyone want to break into your house?".

The only violence I've seen on the streets here has been between American squaddies who can't handle the strong beer and even that is very rare. I can't go out in the UK without seeing a fight as the pubs/clubs kick out!

As for speed cameras and the police/government persecuting the motorist.... ROFL!
Old 09 October 2003, 09:14 PM
hixton
Scooby Regular

Dont forget
VOTE THESE LABOUR *******S OUT
TONY **** SUKIN BLAIR
Old 09 October 2003, 09:15 PM
magepaster
Scooby Regular

British....High moral values?