Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Loud Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2003, 03:41 PM
nescoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi I've got a full Blitz Nur Spec R exhaust on my Type R, does anyone know if the police can pull you for having a exhaust which is too loud?

Cheers
Old 08 October 2003, 03:44 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

yes

+ also if you have silly stickers down the side a-la fast and the furious they can also arrest you for having no taste

Old 08 October 2003, 05:34 PM
GTB Limited
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PMSL
Old 08 October 2003, 05:36 PM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

They will only pull you up if a lot of people complain about noise levels (so im told).

THey will only pull you over if they think you will fail emissions.

Ive been pulled over twice (for number plate reasons) and they just commented on the noise of the exhaust. I asked them if there was a limit and their reply was above
Old 08 October 2003, 07:44 PM
nescoob
Scooby Regular

Wink

Very good Scooby Do but unfortunately I haven't got round to putting the stickers on yet.
Old 08 October 2003, 07:46 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

G/f hasn't been pulled yet and hers makes a Blitz Nur Spec R exhaust sound like a Nissan Micra on choke.
Old 08 October 2003, 08:08 PM
i8gtmf
Scooby Regular

Have same system on mine and a guy who lives near tried to punch my head in cos the noise scared his kids.Havn't been pulled by police for it though
Old 08 October 2003, 08:21 PM
jongould - lost my p/word
Scooby Regular

right, any exhaust that increases noise is illigal.

Road traffic acts states that any modification to the cars exhaust system which increases the volume levels is illigal. This includes replacing with a sports system.

Basically, your car should comply to the standards set by subaru UK when the original car related to your model was tested (if a UK car) or to the specifications your car set when it was SVA tested (for JDM).

Only way to make it legal is to have the car SVA tested. This will make sure that your car falls within the default or general guidlines set for all motorvehicles (such as kit cars).

do you understand what i mean, its a bit confusing...
Old 08 October 2003, 08:23 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Jon, that makes every aftermarket exhaust illegal by definition then? Subaru are complicit by selling the PPP?

What about EC marking and that can of worms?
Old 08 October 2003, 08:30 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

It could put every fast fit operation out of business over night. If the exhaust they sell isnt OEM which 99.9% arent and increases noise by 0.5dbs then its illegal . I have had replacement exhausts which were loud than the original as straight swaps. Also my JDM car has passed an SVA who knows what exhuast it came in with as it says previously used abroad hence the sva .
Old 08 October 2003, 09:05 PM
Scooby Regular

all aftermarket direct replacment exhausts are made to certain specifications and hence remain legal.

all aftermarket exhausts are illigal when applied to a road going vehicle that hasnt been tested. This is the law, theres no 'can of worms'. I know this as i read up on it while my girlfriend was in training at ashford.

the EC markings do not apply to the exhaust fitting to the car, but that the exhaust is constructed in a way where ity can saftly be used for its operation.

WRC cars e.t.c are all built from a standard car and then tested, they then fall in the default vehicle standards.

basically, the goverment OK'd the subaru impreza 2000 turbo (UK) for use on the UK roads. If you then change that vehicle then it no longer meets the same standards as the original car, therefore it is now illigal.

This only applies to certain aspects of the car, mainly the saftey or imission areas.

If you do not belive me ask your local traffic officer. The first time i heard of this law i said the same as the rest of yah, hence why i looked it up when she became a copper.
Old 08 October 2003, 09:13 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

So why do we pay for MOTs surely it should be picked up then ?
Old 08 October 2003, 09:47 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

If you then change that vehicle then it no longer meets the same standards as the original car, therefore it is now illigal.
If that's the case, why do cars have to be sold and registered before the PPP can be fitted? Subaru do that to get around the EC legislation...

I don't doubt that the law could be interpreted in that way as I don't care nearly enough to look into it, but what you're suggesting makes the PPP "illegal", which surely would make Subaru UK liable for any prosecutions?

Apply that precedent, and the Firestorm or Blitz nur spec have no problems either: what works for Subaru has to work for others...
Old 08 October 2003, 10:45 PM
Scooby Regular

So why do we pay for MOTs surely it should be picked up then ?
I dont know if you have ever been told before, but an MOT is not anywhere near the same as an SVA test. An MOT just checks the saftey aspects of the car and many areas that would produce an illigal car are not tested in an MOT.

As for the PPP, a PPP'd model of the impreza will have undergone the SVA test therefore making these parts road legal for fitting by the manafacturer.

Remember many laws have many amendments, most of them to cover thier backs and make our lives harder. At the end of the day the law remains that any modification to your exhaust to increase noise is illigal unless approved by a suitable goverment body.
Old 08 October 2003, 11:31 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Would I be correct in assuming then that if you have a jap import you can say they were on the car when it was SVA'd ?

What about lights and breaks ?
Old 08 October 2003, 11:41 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

IIRC, the law actually states that the exhaust system cannot be modified to increase its volume. Therefore, you are not allowed to, for instance, take the standard Subaru part and remove baffles or packing from the silencer. However, if you buy and fit an off the shelf exhaust (such as the Prodrive or any other for that matter), as long as you do not modify that exhaust to make it louder, it is not technically illegal from a noise point of view. As has been previously stated, saying that any aftermarket exhaust can't be louder than the standard would potentially wipe out kwik-fit and many others overnight. I believe there was a post on this a while back and someone (John Felstead perhaps?) actually quoted the relevant part of the Road Traffic Act.

Admittedly, if you have a full de-cat, it would potentially fail emmissions tests, but that's not the same thing.

The requirement to have any mods passing strict tests fitted to a specific vehicle to make things legal is part of German TUV regulations, IIRC. These do not apply in the UK.
Old 08 October 2003, 11:42 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

MY bro-in-law has THE loudest car ive ever heard

Has been pulled by the police MANY times who "seem" powerless to do anything about it.

For the most, he gets a request to have an MOT testing station stamp its not blowing and its job done.

Im pretty sure if there was a law that said "If your cars louder than it should be as standard" the boys in blue would be using it EVERYDAY OF THE WEEK! Especially somewhere like the weekend down at sarfend
Old 09 October 2003, 12:34 AM
Big M.O.
Scooby Regular

I dread to think about mine, a P1 with a full decat and Firestorm bb. quotes coming in of 113db's!!!!!! I think the legal limited is 98db's.
Old 09 October 2003, 04:11 AM
BL
Scooby Regular

Ive got the Buddy Club system on the STI8.. Way way louder than the Blitz and i got pulled over on the M25
Old 09 October 2003, 07:31 AM
catalunya199
Scooby Regular

legally i think its 108 db so unless your over that they cant do sod all, mines 103 db quoted
Old 09 October 2003, 10:56 AM
nescoob
Scooby Regular

So all I have to do is get is SVA'd then!

Cheers
Old 09 October 2003, 12:24 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

So what happened then, BL?
Old 09 October 2003, 12:40 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

was sir looking for this thread
Important to note if they do try & give u a ticket ask for a vehicle defect rectification form or sumin so at worst u just change exhaust get it signed then change back lol
Si
PS group buy on APEXi exhaust valve thingy?
Old 09 October 2003, 12:50 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

exhaust valve description link
& takakaira hmmm i want one only so i dont pea off neighbours with next car u understand but maybe good if on track so u can change noise factor
Si
Old 09 October 2003, 02:28 PM
Johnny50
Scooby Regular

I got mine measured, Full TSL decat and Firestorm.
Came in at 114db.

Although i've passed many a police car, and never had trouble.
Also depends on how you drive it too i suppose.
Old 09 October 2003, 10:28 PM
Big M.O.
Scooby Regular

having mine db tested at the weekend, will keep you posted with the results.