What would YOU do???

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2003, 05:37 AM
Sticky Stuff
Scooby Regular

Location: ShyTot graphics Location: Squires Bar Location: Wakecastlefract
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Yup, My baby's coming home, hopefully by the weekend.

In the end I was offered a maximum of 10k to 'walk away' which is maybe not too far off the retail value, but nothing like what the car's worth to me.
The bodyshop have done a stunning job with the repairs, new bumpers, boot, bonnet, and full paint job. She's looking schweet. The workshop are spending a couple of days checking over the mechanicals, replacing all the locks, and fixing the gearbox (which is what it originally went there for).
On top of this I'm getting a decent, if not stunning, compensation deal of en extra 12 month warranty (Still got 12 month's extended Subaru on her, so that's 2 years hassle free motoring), and I'm gonna push for a free service, mats for the wife's Wagon, a jacket and a cuddly toy.
As to whether I keep it once it's back... only time will tell. From speaking to people who've had their stolen vehicle's recovered before, they never 'feel' the same again. We shall see.
The P1's gonna have to wait until after Crimbo 'cos she wants a new kitchen before then (Why cook when you can drive thru?)
Thanks for all the help with this, folks. Invaluable!

[Edited by Sticky Stuff - 10/8/2003 5:42:39 AM]
Old 05 October 2003, 07:01 PM
Sticky Stuff
Scooby Regular

Hi folks. I've just found this site, and this is my first posting (Hopefully not my last). I was just wanting a bit of feedback on the following. It may go on a bit, but bear with me, okay...

On Monday 15th Sept my 2000 V Impreza Turbo was left in the care of a main Subaru dealer, who shall for the time being remain nameless, for a new gearbox under warranty. The car was purchased from this dealer when new, by the original owner, and when he decided to upgrade to a new model he chopped in the old one, which I duly purchased, and fell in love with. This was about 6 months ago. The car has always been serviced by the same dealer, and although some 70 miles from my home, it has been back there for it's services since, as has the wife's 2001 X Turbo estate. Their service and customer care has always been exemplarary...
Anyway, back to the main story.
9:30 am Tuesday 16th Sept, received a 'phone call from the dealer which went like this...
Them: Mr XYZ?
Me: Yes, good morning.
T: Well, it's not so good, I'm afraid.
(At this point I'm expecting them to say that the warranty work's gonna take longer than expected, or there's a problem with something else, so I let the guy continue)
T: We've had a brek in overnight and one of our used cars has been stolen, along with yours
M: You've got to be kidding!!!!!!
T: Unfortunately not, the Police have been informed and we're expecting them to be here any minute, we just thought you ought to be informed too.
M: (Trying to stay calm) Okay, thanks for letting me know, I'll inform Tracker immediately

This could go on for ages, so I'll try and shorten it as much as possible.

Basically the thieves broke into the showroom, stole the keys, went into the workshop, started up my car, and reversed it THROUGH a roller shutter door.

Tracker found the car within 30 minutes, in a lock up less than 10 miles from where I live. (Before anyone thinks it may have been watched, I drove up to Middlesbrough on Monday morning before dropping the car off at the dealers, the roads were quiet, and I was not followed)(Makes you paranoid, getting something nicked, believe me)

I then travelled 70 miles to the dealer for a meeting with the owner, and the manager.
The owner, who seems a very decent chap, offers me three options...
1 Have my car repaired
2 Have them look for a car of equal condition and value (Tricky, as full leather and air-con is quite rare)
3 They offer me top whack for my car, and get me something better, with me putting an amount of cash towards.

The manager was present throughout this meeting

The meeting ends with them asking me to come back tomorrow (Weds), by which time my car will have been recovered to their premises, and they'll have sorted me out a better courtesy car than the bloody Corsa that I was currently in.

Went back on Thursday, due to a delay in the recovery process.

Car is in a state, dents and scrapes all up back, over boot, up back window, over roof, along bonnet. Spoiler ripped clean off.

Decided there and then that I did not want the car back, and told them this. I also told them that, based on what the owner had said to me on Tuesday, I wanted them to source me a P1, and work out some figures for doing so. (The manager of this Subaru main dealer had to go and ask one of his sales staff what a P1 was, despite having had one on the forecourt for a couple of months, and selling it just days ago!)

Was told that the car was going for repair anyway, as it would be put on their forecourt and retailed if I did not want it back.

They put me into a Forester (Ugh!) and sent me on my way.

A week later I'd heard nothing, and the Forester was due it's first service, so I booked it in, and went through the following monday at 8:30, when I was reliably informed that the manager was going to be available to update me on what was happening.

No manager!

I spoke to a chap on the sales team, and he seemed a pi**ed off as I was getting, so promised he would collar the manager, and get him to call me.

No call Monday.. or Tuesday.. or Weds..
Friday, I called the salesman to ask what was going on, he said h'e have a word with the manager and get back to me.

3 hours later the manager calls. Makes a brief apology for not having been in touch, and more or less tells me that either I have my car back, or they'll give me around £8000 for it.
That's it.
No P1
No 'othjer car'
As things stand now I'm going to see this chap tomorrow, I do not want the original car back, as it now has a history, but where the hell do I stand?

Your opinions would be appreciated.

Sorry it's been such a long opening post.

Cheers

Stickstuff
Old 05 October 2003, 07:19 PM
BAH
Scooby Regular

I would say you want alot more than 8K, you want a minimum of what they would sell it for which i would think is more than 8K.

You mention Middlesbrough, and i live very close so the dealer cant be far from me, and the description of the manager and not knowing what a P1 was brings me to think its the dealer i go to.

As far as i see it, you left your car with them so its there problem regardless that they suffered the misfortune of getting broken in to.

They will have insurance so its there problem. Look around the dealers on Autotrader and see what a car similar to yours retails at on the forcourt and demand that amount of money.
Old 05 October 2003, 07:20 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

wow sorry to hear of your mishap...

hmm.... have you tried approching the owner?? the way i see it the manager is basically the middle man who will do as the owner instructs him.... with hindsight i would have asked for the deal confirmed inwriting,,, just to make them squirm,,,

from a legal point of view, they are responsible for the safety of your property whilst left in there care,,, the fact is they failed,,, get onto your insurance co and theirs, and i would also get some legal representation also... the fact that they are repairing the car is a moot point ... are they repairing it out of there own pockets or using their insurance co...

i would raise merry hell as technically it is a breach of contract,, and to which i would be seeking suitable redress,,, oh and just mention that you will be contacting watchdog etc..

mart
Old 05 October 2003, 07:41 PM
erinyes
Scooby Regular

a very similar thing happened to me, my last car, a golf VR6 was written off on a test trash, was clearly doing over the speed limt as it happened on a straight road blah blah, anyway, the car was worth about 5 grand at the least, and this was modified, so worth more, PLUS compensation, i got, wait for it................3500, AR5EHOLES! no lawyer would take them on as apparently, as they have offered you what they think its worth, then i have no where to stnd, and i cant prove the condidtion of the car previously appart from pictures, so they calssed it as beig in average/ poor condition, but it was low miles, full VAG history AND unmarked, in conclusion, there was naff all i could do, and ended up being quids out, PLUS they were rude and didnt return my calls, like they have done to you, they were bidding their time to find out where they stood legally i think. really sorry to put a downer on this, moral is, dealers are ALL to55ers, even if there in the wrong it seems......

james
Old 05 October 2003, 07:47 PM
phoenix1
Scooby Regular

hello mate, they haven't got a leg to stand on. they will be fully insured for something like that happening. my advice to you as they don't seem bothered about the situation is to go and see a solicitor. it's amazing what a letter will do. the solicitors will want to no the dealers insurance company and that will get the ball rolling. don't take any sh*t off them you want the full book price for your car + any extras and substantial compensation.
Good Luck Fella.
Old 05 October 2003, 08:19 PM
Luke
BANNED

Walk in on a Saturday with a couple of petrol containers... start pouring the stuff over the floor and cars. Then with lighter in one hand...ask the manager for his final offer.
Old 05 October 2003, 08:28 PM
BAH
Scooby Regular

So Luke what sort of consultant are you.....?

Old 06 October 2003, 07:25 AM
Sticky Stuff
Scooby Regular

LMFAO @ Luke

As I mentioned, I'm going to see the manager this afternoon, (After offering me 8k, he went on to say that they'd put it on their forecourt for about 12!!!!!) if I'm not happy I'll ask to see the owner, and take it from there. (Wonder if they pop in here from time to time?)

I'll keep you posted.

SS
Old 06 October 2003, 08:24 AM
v5 man
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

the morals of this stealership are flipping unbelievable!!!
first they loose your car, now they offer you 8k and make 4k out of you as well!! sounds like a great scam. all the other dodgy stealers will be trying that if you loose this battle!!
best of luck, keep your cool.
ps.i thought that even a verbal contract was legally binding.
Old 06 October 2003, 10:40 AM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Sticky Stuff

Sorry to here this If i were you, get the ball rolling as the previous threads have said (with exception to the petrol containers )

I would also, at every opportunity go into this garage and hang around the service desk etc and start talking about the problem everytime a prospective new customer walks in.

Use lots of excuses like "i think i left something in my car" and "when are you going to sort me out", "the courtesy car you have given me is playing up" etc etc

Just enough to pi55 them off and then come back later on and start again.
Old 06 October 2003, 12:27 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

It is surely very simple. The dealer will carry insurance cover. You do not want the car back as you have no means of knowing what abuse it was subjected to. You want cash re-embursement for the value of the car at the time it was left with the dealer. That will be the retail value as you are a private individual and with this money you will be able to replace the car, like for like. You have been provided with a replacement vehicle and will need the use of it until you are re-embursed and for a short time there after until you sort out your replacement.
Put it simply and clearly to the garage and it is in their interests to sort it quickly. They will have a Glass's guide and you want full retail. Alternatively look for several very similar vehicle advertised by dealers to get check prices.
If you want to change to a P1 that is your problem to source etc etc. once you have the money.
Alternatively, exactly as above but you have been inconvenienced and it might take some time to find the replacement you want so retail cash settlement and an ex gratia payment for the period you will provide your own transport and the inconvenience you have been put to unexpectedly but it will be a fair sum to both parties and hence not mega money.

I would think that the principal of the business will want it sorted quickly and consulting a solicitor is not a good option for either party.

Do what you can to sort it amicably this afternoon and speak to the owner/principal if you feel you are not making satisfactory headway.
Old 06 October 2003, 12:51 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I'd say get everything in writing also.
Old 06 October 2003, 03:00 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Harveys post gives a clear unemotive assessment and there is little to be gained by rushing to a solicitor at this point.

However it maybe worthwhile speaking with your own insurer for guidance and if your policy contains legal cover you could "mention" it in passing.

The car was covered by the dealers insurance, but remember they only recover trade value and the disparity between that and the retail price is their cost.

Avoid accepting the repair if possibel it has been devalued and although not written off it is effectively now stolen recovered. As a part ex you would also need to declare the accident damage

If they are messing why give them opportunity take a profit on a P1 Take the cash and search for your perfect car don't be forced into owning a jaded example reworked by the trader.

Of course if you find one elsewhere and can get it at the network price then it's a different matter
Old 06 October 2003, 05:50 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

I would add that STi Wana Subaru's advice is good.
Once it has been discussed and agreed it is best to ask the garage to write to you confirming the discussion and of course you could write to them immediately after the meeting confirming the salient points and covering any detail you want, accurately. That way if the wheel comes off you can show clearly and credibly what has happened.
Old 06 October 2003, 06:03 PM
Melina
Scooby Regular

I agree with Phoenix. they should be insured. You could try and ask them what the name of their insurers are - pretending to do some additional investigation - just a mind game. I would also add that you are disapointed at the amount you/previous had already invested in this establishment. I would remain constructive and professional.

But I would see a solicitor and I would also alert the press if necessary (I am a spin doctor).
Old 08 October 2003, 12:22 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Any update?
Old 08 October 2003, 10:30 AM
Mortywrx
Scooby Regular

you've still got the aspect of a stolen recovered car on the history and on re-sale it as to be declared to the new owner...and your insurance as to be made aware you are getting the car back.

Darren
Old 08 October 2003, 10:33 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

I think the moral here is:

If the dealer offers you something on the spot - get it in writing!

That sucks m8!

Jza
Old 08 October 2003, 10:33 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

not necessarily - it might not have been registered as stolen recovered...
Old 08 October 2003, 12:47 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Is there a legal requirement to tell the potential buyer. If not, then its up to the buyer to check out the history.
Old 08 October 2003, 02:04 PM
Sticky Stuff 2
Scooby Newbie

It's not on the v-car register, as no insurance claim has been made in respect of the vehicle, so all's well in that respect.
Old 08 October 2003, 10:22 PM
phoenix1
Scooby Regular

glad to here you are happy mate but if you would have stood your ground you would of ended up with a lot more. sounds to me as though they havent involved their insurance company so your car wont be on hpi as stolen recovered.