Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

STI 8 PPP vs P1 vs Focus RS

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2003, 12:49 PM
nellie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why does this stupid argument start every time someone asks a simple question!!! classic v bugeye v blobeye !!! FFS they are all great cars and so are EVOS and i would have any of them so why people cant appreciate a car is beyond me!!!!!!!!(rant over)

[Edited by nellie - 10/2/2003 12:49:53 PM]
Old 30 September 2003, 08:15 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Today, I had the pleasure of driving all three of these cars in pursuit of my next ride!

I went to Stan Palmers in Carlisle as they have all 3 in stock, plus a very nice Esprit V8 twin turbo, and a nice Cooper S with all the toys, but thats a different story!

Ian, the sales director told me that if the 3 cars above were my choice, then we should test drive the slowest frist and work up!

Focus RS first then!

First impressions, nice car, drives really nice and pulls well. I like the leather Sparcos and chrome touches like gearknob and handbrake, but hate the bland Focus dash. Looks like a 1.4 Zetec inside.

The Focus accelerated nicely, and handled really well, for a front drive hatch. The massive Brembo brakes pull it up in no time also, but with 215 bhp on tap, it doesn't really replace a Scooby. I kept thinking, that I could buy this, but how long would it be before I got bored and desired that flat four grumble again?

At the end of the day, it was a nice car. But "nice" doesn't set my hair on fire nor float my boat.

Lets try the P1 then....

First impressions behind the wheel, exact same as my current car, except red stitching!
Going from a MY00 UK to MY00 P1, I kept forgetting that I was sitting in something a bit special.

Build quality - questionable... More rattles and squeaks than mine, and I have 7k miles more than this one. May just be a squeaky example (MY00 W reg 30k).

Anyway, pulls much more stongly that mine, almost effortless waves of acceleration. I found the standard exhaust is almost inaudible inside the car, after being used to a full Scorpion de-cat. This however gave the car a much faster feel cos it accelerated like a maniac, while not sounding like it was working hard, getting you there effortlessly, without labouring.

Handled nice too, much tighter than my UK car, and with a decent exhaust the soundtrack could be improved no end.

Strong contender here!

The STI 8 PPP.

I hated the looks of the bugeye cars at first, but thought the "blob eye" was an improvement. The improvement in build quality was immediately noticable. Big change from the Classics.

On the test drive, I can honestly say that this car is absolutely ******* rapid! PPP quotes figure of 305 bhp, but I've heard that its closer to 310-320 bhp, and it certainly feels like it.

I have never had butterflies in my stomach like this since the very first time I floored it in a Scooby, 5 years ago.

This is the feeling I want! The car covered ground at offensive pace, the speedo well into 3 figures on roads that you wouldn't think capable. And the Brembos, jeez, how weedy do Subaru 4 pots feel after these babys!

30 seconds into the drive and my mind was made up.

As nice and fast as the P1 was, the STI 8 made it feel and look truly dated. The Focus was nowhere in my reckoning, especially in company like this, so the STI 8 it is then.

Can't wait to take delivery!

Then, the modding starts!
Old 30 September 2003, 08:20 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

You lucky lucky barsteward!!!
dave
Old 30 September 2003, 08:34 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
why didnt you test the Esprit?
Old 30 September 2003, 08:44 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

If only John, if only!
Old 30 September 2003, 09:17 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Colour?
Old 30 September 2003, 09:24 PM
Ralf Paris
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Totally agree - STI8 PPP is a stunner. Got mine 2 weeks ago and havent stopped smiling yet. Great choice
Old 30 September 2003, 09:28 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

WR Blue Mica.

Black is too hard to keep clean/scratch free.

White, special order only, and not really that appealing (to me)

and Silver, well its not WR Blue is it?
Old 30 September 2003, 09:34 PM
Mr Scoob
Scooby Regular

Great choice, you will not regret it!
Old 01 October 2003, 09:01 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

talizman,

Exactly why I went for WR Blue too, blacks a pain, white special order (and hard to keep clean) and silver a bit too bland.

Picked up my STi8 last Saturday, not PPP til next year though (30 yrs old + 1 extra yr NCB - hopefully).

My passengers last night described it like being in a bob sleigh, how they'd know that I don't know!

Alex
Old 01 October 2003, 09:44 AM
BlueBlood
Scooby Regular

Cool

I to had a P1 for 3 year and was frustrated by the Sti8 without the PPP, but now with the PPP and 8k miles in I am much happier, the handling on the twisty stuff is much better that the P1 and the PPP now gives it real kick out of the bends.

I have a black one, and it looks superb – but needs regular wax to keep the scratches away.
Old 01 October 2003, 09:47 AM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Oh yes... and wait for the first time its just you and the car, on Optimax, late one night with about quarter of a tank and a bumpy B road out in the sticks... its then and only then you realise just how fast the thing covers ground... trust me nothing will come close down bumpy b road. when the prodrive kits fitted drop the back windows a couple of inches for full effect and you are in stage! I had a big bike have a go down twisty lane and it just left it... 200 yards! When I had a bike i thought nothing would catch it... Wrong! twisty country road and the STi-PPP is really at home. Enjoy!
Old 01 October 2003, 10:55 AM
fast_eddie
Scooby Regular

talizman,i did what you did last week at palmers exept didnt drive the focus and i agree with everything you wrote about the p1 and sti8ppp and to prove it i bought ians old demo and pick it up tommorow with upgraded brakes and 18 inch gold prodrive 10 spokes happy daze cant wait
dave
Old 01 October 2003, 11:19 AM
marky1
Scooby Regular

talizman

out of interest, and being new here, is the sti 8 ppp often refered to as Jap spec? Is it possible to buy an sti 8 pp from an authorised dealer. Is the sti uk type refered to on the subaru site actually the sti 8 and ppp is just an extra?

Mark
Old 01 October 2003, 11:23 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

the STi8 PPP is just an STi8 Type UK bought from a dealer, with the optional engine upgrade package from Prodrive. The PPP is an extra £2000 on top of the cost of the STi8 TypeUK.

It's not in anyway a Jap Spec conversion, just an engine upgrade that is still covered by the UK waranty.
Old 01 October 2003, 11:26 AM
marky1
Scooby Regular

thanks for that.

what difference does the ppp make to acceleration and top speed do you know?
Old 01 October 2003, 11:27 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Thats right, the PPP or Prodrive Performance Pack consists of recalibrated ECU, higher spec fuel pump, high flow catalyst, and stainless steel back box.

The quoted power figure is around 305 bhp and torque is 400Nm at 4,000rpm.

The Jap cars have power figures in this region "out of the box".

The factory STI UK is 265 bhp
Old 01 October 2003, 11:32 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

0 - 60 mph

STI UK. - 5.17 sec
STI PPP - 4.62 sec

0 -100 mph

STI UK. - 13.69 sec
STI PPP - 12.20 sec

1/4 mile

STI UK. - 13.99 sec
STI PPP - 13.44 sec

50 - 70 mph in 6th gear

STI UK. - 12.9 sec
STI PPP - 10.1 sec

Old 01 October 2003, 11:35 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

the jap spec cars are around 276BHP out of the box on UK fuel, but the latest spec cars have twin scroll turbos and equal length headers that give them better low end torque. Its not the engine thats the big diference though, its the transmition systems and interior spec which is much better on the japanese spec cars.

The current PPP is a very good upgrade package for the engine if you want to keep the waranty, if the UK car ever gets the Jap spec transmition then it would be an outstanding choice, until then Jap spec is superior.
Old 01 October 2003, 11:58 AM
marky1
Scooby Regular

thanks talizman

Mark
Old 01 October 2003, 12:16 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

The engine spec on Both Jap and UK cars are the same for the STi... The difference being the EU cars have been strangled by the european emmisions regulations. This is effectivly why the STi is rated at 265BHP, when the prodrive kit is fitted, the dealer has to register the car and tax it BEFORE the PPP kit can be fitted. This becouse they are not allowed to sell the car that does not comply with EU standards. This was the case with mine I had the PPP fitted new, but the dealer had to tax and I had to insure it before i got the PPP fitted. Dumping the rear exhaust and restrictive Cats, has the desired effect the fuel pump is changed to stop turbo spiking due to the increased fuel demand add the ECU remap, and it brings the whole thing together 300bhp 305PS. I ran a 13.04 1/4 mile on sunday comfortably better than prodrive's time! And i recon had a bit in reserve, i was running 95octane and half a tank of gas! I wasn't going to run it but it looked too good to miss!
PS big thanks to the guys who set it up, ace day!
Dazza
Old 01 October 2003, 12:47 PM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

Still prefer the P1
Old 01 October 2003, 12:51 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

The engine spec on Both Jap and UK cars are the same for the STi...
No they are not.
Old 01 October 2003, 01:13 PM
Mad Gypsy
Scooby Regular

I drove a freind of a freind of a freinds! STI8 PPP on Sat and was a bit dissapointed. My Type R pulls a little stronger.
It was on the list of next car but I think I'll go for the Spec C
Talizman, enjoy your new car! Where did you get those 0-60 times? Don't want to p1ss on your fireworks but, EVO mag couldn't get the STI8 PPP lower than 5.3 0-60, I think Autocar made the same time.
Regardless, cracking car, cracking colour, ENJOY!
Old 01 October 2003, 01:19 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

They are the offical figures recorded by Prodrive on theor mile straight proving ground, so they should be pretty accurate.

Perhaps Evo had a particularily tight example?

The 8PPP was much quicker than the P1's I drove on Tuesday...
Old 01 October 2003, 01:24 PM
P1-day
Scooby Regular

this might be a really stupid question and i do apologise if this is the case, but can you get a ppp on the classic, i.e. the P1.

if so, what would these figures be??
Old 01 October 2003, 01:39 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

there isnt a PPP for the P1. You could have it ECUTEK remapped to give you the same power/torque as the current STi8PPP.
Old 01 October 2003, 01:44 PM
Mad Gypsy
Scooby Regular

I guess the comparison to a Type R was not fair as they do 0-60 in 4.5sec as standard.
Mine is not standard even though I promised myself I wouldn't do any mods.
Old 01 October 2003, 01:46 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Question

John,

Out of interest, whats different about the main engine lump, bar the headers, turbo, oil cooler(spec c only?) on the Japanese spec cars?

Cheers, Alex
Old 01 October 2003, 01:52 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Mad Gypsy,

Is the type R faster than a P1, cos Evo quote the P1 at 4.9 sec to 60, and the WRX STI PPP at 4.8 sec in their "The Knowledge".

Anyway, isn't it about time you blew yours up again?

Quick Reply: STI 8 PPP vs P1 vs Focus RS