Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How's it handling? WRX 01-03 opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2003, 01:48 PM
crispyduck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’ve had my standard WRX 03 for 1 month now and covered circa 1,500 miles. The last 500 of which I’ve been pushing the car harder, like you do to see your car’s limits in all weather.

I’m, unscientifically, comparing the handling to my last Scooby MY00 I owned for 3 years. I have to say that the MY03 car doesn’t handle, round corners, as good as the MY00. I’m sure you all know what I mean when I say that the MY00 used to “sit down” at the back when smoothly cornering hard and powering out of a corner – it was as if the harder you pushed it the better it got! Well, the MY03 never seems to reach that point as the front end always seems to go away from you (understeers).

Anyone else have an opinion comparing the handling of late model classics with new-age Scooby’s?
-Steve.
Old 24 September 2003, 01:58 PM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Many of us are having the same problem all waiting for the lowering Prodrive spring kit to come out which hopefully will go some way to curing this on WRX 03 models. The STI 03 boys have all just got their spring kits and if you look in the suspension forum there are some very positive comments about the change in ride and handling. The new spring kit for the WRX 03 model according to Suburu uk "six weeks away" that was three months ago !!

Regards

John
Old 24 September 2003, 02:53 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Just to be contrary, I'd say exactly the opposite . I'm not a technical driver, I just try to keep it smooth and I know what feels good to me...

My MY00 was great, and gripped tenaciously but there was little real communication through the wheel as to how much was left. Push hard and there wasn't an overall inspiring confidence that you were in control, it was more like the car was just gripping rather than handling well.

The 03 WRX seems to have much better body control through corners. Yes body roll is there, but seems reduced particularly through fast corners. The front end is just as planted, and the rear can be played with more easily than the 00 IMHO, because there's more communication going on to let you assess what'll happen, and recover if needs be.

The 03 STI is admittedly a league above both, and is mindblowingly adjustable.

For a day-to-day practical family car, I reckon the WRX is absolutely spot on with the compromise between harshness and handling, and I rate it as handling a hell of a lot better than my MY00. Whether that's me growing in confidence/skill I don't know, but back to back i know what I'd take for handling every day.

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 24 September 2003, 02:54 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

oh ,and to echo john's comments on the STI spring kit: it is absolutely fantastic. Gone is the "bounce", and the car is utterly flat through high speed corners. The handling is astonishing, and the grip will have you scratching your head. I was *very* impressed with the standard STI 8 setup other than the bounce, and the spring kit leaves it absolutely just right!

Why you have to pay to have what I reckon is a design fault fixed is beyond me, but then I'm tight
Nick.
Old 24 September 2003, 03:41 PM
Silverback@work
Scooby Regular

Away from lowered suspension kits etc. I wonder if different tyres makes a big difference on this, plus individual geometry settings?

I've run my MY03 WRX on standard wheels and tyres, plus standard STi8 wheels and tyres (differences being slightly larger tyre width and tyre type)...quite noticeable changes in car control and attitude...no suspension changes made.
Old 25 September 2003, 10:24 AM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Sorry I have to agree with Chiark boys, although I feel that the new RE050 need some more pressure (personal coices 36/37psi front - 32/33 rear) to work perfectly with the softer suspension and the car has more body roll but is quite a lot controlable than the MY00.
IMHO it needs lowering and some "harder" tires, the RE050 as the F1-GSD3 have soft sidewalls and twist remarkably when cornering, it's compromise between performance and comfort.
JIM

PS:Personally I'll try first the Whiteline adjustable rear anti roll bar in middle position, I drove recently a friend's car with both front-rear bars in harder position and was perfect regarding feeling and body roll without loosing the ride quality.
Old 25 September 2003, 11:40 AM
DBY
Scooby Regular

My car has PPP and 18 inch PPF7 wheels with 225/40 tyres so sometimes on twisty B roads at high speed it does suffer from body roll this I hope the new spring kit will help to cure. Regarding the look of the vehicle the spring kit will also help to get rid of that up on Stilts look and big gaps between the top of the tyre and wheel arch.

Regards

John
Old 25 September 2003, 12:06 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Jim, I've given my 050s more pressure too and they do seem happier. I'm running 36 at front and 34 rear. For OEM tyres, they're a step up from the old 010s and do seem pretty grippy but are wearing well and are quite progressive. I'll be glad to put toyos back on.

It would be nice to have less roll, but the roll is well controlled if you know what I mean so isn't much of a problem.

I'd be very interested in the suspension gubbins that you're talking about - let us know how you get on with those.
Cheers,
Nick.
Old 25 September 2003, 01:03 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Nick said "The handling is astonishing, and the grip will have you scratching your head". Well I agree that the spring kit has improved the bounce but as for transforming the handling, all I can say is that your reference level must be very low to start with!

Try before you buy.

I will add that tyre choice is very important to the way the car sits in a bend and the way it reacts to the new suspension. The STi8 is very good handling car to start with, but I doubt many will think that the prodrive springs will make it into a complete track car by any means.

F
Old 25 September 2003, 02:36 PM
Toonman1
Scooby Regular

I'm on my 5th Impreza - '94, '96, '98, '02, '03. The '98 handles better than the previous two, and the '02 better still. Best of all though, is the '03 IMO.

Cheers
Old 25 September 2003, 02:43 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Floyd, you're right: I should have qualified that! I am by no means a car god - I haven't driven much in the way of "driver's cars", but I know that I was seriously impressed by the STI PPP with Prodrive Spring set.

Admittedly, I'm in no way at all the best person to ask!
Cheers,
nick.
Old 25 September 2003, 04:11 PM
crispyduck
Scooby Regular

All,

Thanks for your comments so far.

I here what you are saying about the MY00 providing much less feedback when you are at its handling limits - things can get out of shape VERY quickly. The MY03 gives you much better feedback and perhaps because the car is quiter and the driver feels a little higher this makes me feel the handling is worse.

I will alter the tyre pressures and report back to see if that helps, I'll also see what tyres I have on it as its a Belgium import.
-Steve.
Old 25 September 2003, 04:56 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

I'd agree with Nick here. Out of the box, my MY01 handled a lot better than my old MY00. Grip levels in both cars were always impressive, but there is a difference between grip and handling. The vastly stiffer chassis of the new car has helped an awful lot. There is a very noticable difference in the two cars. The only classic I've been in which rivals the newer cars for rigidity was the P1 - not surprising when it was a two door model.

I've fitted Eibach springs on mine - mostly to lower the car and lose the 'stilt' look - which it has. The other added benefit has been to further improve the handling (the ride has suffered, but that was my choice - my car also runs on 18" wheels). Understeer has been reduced as a result (it was already better than my previous MY00 before the Eibachs were fitted).

Tyres do make a huge difference. I was never impressed with the OEM fit Pirelli's as they tramlined badly after only 8 or 9000 miles. The SO3s were much better, more hard wearing, but ultimately they weren't as good as S02s. Now I've gone back to Toyos and the car is much improved. Toyos and Goodyear F1s do seem to suit the cars very well and I would certainly recommend them if you are looking to change.

Chris

[Edited by Chris L - 9/25/2003 4:58:18 PM]
Old 25 September 2003, 04:58 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

The MY03 feels smoother and tighter round corners and roundabouts, my old MY00 was more fun but very easy to slide the back end out pushed hard.
Old 25 September 2003, 09:42 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

lightning - my MY00 used to do that (sorta squirm the back end and push it out under power) but it turns out that the geometry at the rear was way out. So whilst it was cool, it wasn't right apparently

Old 25 September 2003, 10:13 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

I would describe the new WRX with the words smooth/controlable/"friendly", even your wife can drive it much faster than the old MY00.
IMO a car that helps you to find your driving limits is by far better than a faster but difficult to control car, except you are professional driver of course.
JIM

Just to add that in high speed turns I feel the WRX03 suffers more than in close-tight corners where the body roll helps you to change direction.

[Edited by JIM THEO - 9/25/2003 10:18:36 PM]
Old 25 September 2003, 10:30 PM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Jim , Agree with your comments about handling at 50-60 mph the body roll does help the car change direction and this is a positive aspect of the car. Its when you get to higher speeds 80-90 that the body control goes soft and you get that wallowing effect which I find a pain and as said before hoping that the spring kit will help a little, The above speeds are sometimes obtained on quiet rural Dorset roads I mint add!

Regards

John
Old 25 September 2003, 10:49 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

I would like to add on improvements to handling to MY01> £ per handling improvements would be.

1)Powerflex Solid drop links @ £90
2)Prodrive spring kit & Alignment @ £400
3)whiteline Anti-Roll £150

Tony