Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

want a scoob

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2003, 02:35 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are much better looking, better built and quicker cars fitting your criteria.
What criteria would they be? Looking at this thread, it doesn't seem as though Fudger's actually listed any, other than wanting something a bit easier to insure than a turbocharged Impreza.

Quite embarrassing really to own one when people on here think they are that good because we all get tarred with the same brush when you are any further than your own garage.
Would you mind rearranging those words a little so they make sense?

A 2litre,4 cylinder, normally aspirated engine torquey!! Come on, how IS that really possible?
In relation to some other two litre engines, and the sort of car Fudger is likely to be used to, yes.

[Edited by greasemonkey - 10/5/2003 2:36:08 PM]
Old 10 May 2003, 05:24 PM
Techno
Scooby Regular

Alright Fudge. Welcome aboard m8.

My advice would be to re-check all your finances and check that you definately can't afford a turbo version. If u can't afford it the now, work out how long and how much you'd need to save up to get one. Hopefully the time frame will be shorter than u first thought. You sometimes find that by the time u get a standard car and mod it to look like a turbo, your insurance costs are almost as much as getting the real thing in the first place.
Check out some insurance Companies if you haven't already. I believe a sport is group 14 and a turbo is 17?

Unfortunately there is a stigma attached to the turbo/non-turbo subject. It's all down to performance m8. If you can do anything about it, the last thing you want at 19 is for yer mate to say that his Saxo VTR would woop yer ***.
Mind you, if you end up going for a sport etc then I think the Saxo is only (.5) of a second quicker.Lol

So on a closing note, wait till u can afford the turbo version cos u won't get bored with it as quickly. It's got much more factor IMHO. Sorry non-turbo Scoob owners, don't mean this to sound cheeky cos it's still a Subaru u have. It's just my humble opinion.

As we don't know a lot of the factors like the price range of car and your own personal circumstances/income etc then I cannot give accurate advice. This is for you to decide yourself sir, but I hope that you've got a balanced opinion as there's a few different angles in the replies to the thread.

Good luck whatever you decide m8.

Cheers
Techno

[Edited by Techno - 10/5/2003 5:37:24 PM]
Old 10 May 2003, 06:40 PM
phatso
Scooby Regular

ive got a GL, MY99, had it for 8 months, no problems and drives like a dream. It'll do me until I can afford a turbo (and the insurance that goes with it!). Insurance for my GL is just a nudge over 500 quid, so cant argue with!

The only mod that HAD to be done was replacing the zorst, found a massive difference in performance from the standard "fiat" type backbox, also put some standard 15" subaru alloys on to replace the steels, made a difference to the handling (and the look of it )

[Edited by phatso - 10/5/2003 6:42:25 PM]
Old 22 September 2003, 04:23 PM
fudger
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Hi just joined hows everybody i'm fudge. Right cant afford a turbo but was wandering if the 2.0 sport has much more than the 2.0 gl cos it would prob be cheaper and get a gl, then go to a breakers and get turbo bits or is the sport any good what does it have in the way of kit and seats i'm just turning 19 so bit ****ed for insurance but the noise!!! and much better than the ****e my mates hav : ) cheeres guys any ideas would be good i need a scoob!
Old 22 September 2003, 04:25 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Get a Sport then 2.0 16v 123bhp
Old 22 September 2003, 06:49 PM
DreXeL
Scooby Regular

Welcome to the lunacy that is Scoobynet fudge. Go for a Sport, whilst not the quickest car around they are apparenly nice and torquey, and of course you have the legendary Scooby handling, and get a nice backbox to release the gorgeous Scooby burble!!!!
Old 22 September 2003, 07:07 PM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

yeah mate,

go for a sport - ride quality and handling will be great!

i suspect that all the suspension bits from turbo's go on - i am sure they do in fact - anyone clarify?

you could do all the stuff quite cheaply. also things like solid drop links all round. i suspect the turbo has thiscker anti roll bars etc. chop it al round and your motor will out handle alot of others

certainly no probs in getting some nice ally wheels either.

releasing scooby burble is essential as mentioned.

i think its a great idea. you will cetainly no your way round a scooby by the time you are ready to get a turbo in a couple yeards

best of luck!

Weava
Old 23 September 2003, 10:51 AM
hixton
Scooby Regular

sports are poor.
Get a totally different make of car unless you want the **** taken out of you.
They are slow as ****, plastic inside and just a datsun really.
Old 23 September 2003, 10:53 AM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

nissans are datsuns not subarus
Old 23 September 2003, 11:06 AM
quicksprint
Scooby Regular

Take no notice of the pi55 takes !!! Buy a sport,prove your sensible with your insurance company and a turbo 'could' arrive sooner than you think.
At least a sport is a SUBARU ...add some nice wheels and a good exhaust and enjoy the handling and that glorious flat 4 burble.

ENJOY !!

steve.
Old 23 September 2003, 11:17 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

From a sport owner. MY97

Ok their not the quickest car on the block, but with a good driver behind the wheel, will still out run most cars through a twisty section.

Back box is a must as would stiffer suspention (IMHO). Mine has discs alround but a friends has drums on the rear (R plate). Twin pot calipers might cause you a few probs finding pads as wrx is 4 pot and won't fit but I will be putting info in the wheels, tyres and brakes section when I can get hold of part numbers.
If you short shift gears and are prepared to go nowhere in a hurry you will get 38 + to the gallon. If you boot it be prepared to get 32ish

Lastly enjoy it, its a scooby!!!!

Simon, a very happy sport owner who will be upping is power slightly.

[Edited by Simon C - 9/23/2003 11:34:07 AM]
Old 23 September 2003, 11:25 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Get a totally different make of car unless you want the **** taken out of you.
They are slow as ****, plastic inside and just a datsun really.
That's a big chip you've got on your shoulder. You might take the p*ss Hicksville, but we won't. I don't recall any sign on the Scoobynet gate saying "Only Turbos admitted"...

They're slower than the turbos, granted, but the interior is no more plastic than any other Impreza of equivalent model year. As for "Just a Datsun really", what have you been smoking? The bodyshell's the same as a Turbo, it has the same engine design, the suspension layout is the same, etc. etc. etc.

In Fudge's position, the Sport seems the ideal option. Perfect way of getting to know the handling and maintenance of these cars without being saddled with an exhorbitant insurance premium. He'll save a bit on fuel too...

[Edited by greasemonkey - 9/23/2003 11:28:25 AM]
Old 23 September 2003, 11:37 AM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Cool

Welcome Fudge to the looney bin, take no notice of what hixton says, nothing wrong with a sport at all,i started with one due to insurance, now im glad to say find a company with morals and hasn't ripped me off re the price.

If Fudge can't afford the insurance on a turbo yet, then let him buy something which he can afford and if it's a sport then so be it.

There is a forum for the sport think it's www.imprezasport.net u will find many like minded people on there, selling cars, giving advice as u will on here.

1 bit of advice, learn how to post pic's, click on a post with pic's and see how they do it and DON'T ask what SIAL means...trust me that will start a thread which will defo end up in the muppets column

Old 23 September 2003, 03:47 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Get the sport m8. Drink in the ambiance that is Subaru, and when the years roll by, get the big fella!!
dave
Old 05 October 2003, 12:06 AM
daF1rby
Scooby Regular

Definitely buy that SPORT if you haven't already. I joined the SCOOBY clan in Feb and haven't stopped smiling since.
Stick some turbo wheels on and normal joe public won't know the differnece (save for the lump in bonnet)

Good luck but get an insurance quote first!
Old 05 October 2003, 12:17 AM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Its ideal getting a sport as your first scooby. Mod it and when you come to get your turbo (which you will). Swap the mods over to the turbo
Old 05 October 2003, 01:39 AM
Steve3drALS
Scooby Regular

Why are there posts along the lines of "at least youve got a SUBARU" like its some prestige marque like Benz or 'Rarri or summat?

A subaru's no different from somthing like a ford or whatever, certainly not a badge to be super proud of...
Old 05 October 2003, 01:49 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Agree with Hixton and Steve3drALS, the sport would be the wrong choice totally in the market you are in at the moment.

There are much better looking, better built and quicker cars fitting your criteria.

Get a turbo later if that's what you really want although Steve3drALS is of the same thinking here as me about the supposed class of an Impreza!

Quite embarrassing really to own one when people on here think they are that good because we all get tarred with the same brush when you are any further than your own garage.

Good luck in your choice but please with comments like the Sport is torquey!!!

A 2litre,4 cylinder, normally aspirated engine torquey!! Come on, how IS that really possible?
Old 05 October 2003, 05:34 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

What criteria would they be? Looking at this thread, it doesn't seem as though Fudger's actually listed any, other than wanting something a bit easier to insure than a turbocharged Impreza.
Feel free to answer your own question.

Would you mind rearranging those words a little so they make sense?
They make sense if you want them too.

In relation to some other two litre engines, and the sort of car Fudger is likely to be used to, yes.
Point taken but if you can feel the difference then I'll eat your hat, let alone my own!

Old 05 October 2003, 05:50 PM
gljam
Scooby Regular

whoa whoa whoa sweet child of mine! got to stop you there before it resorts to fistycuffs! The original question was is a sport better than a gl. I agree with what fudger is saying, a turbo is deffo more desirable than a sport but when i get quoted £1000 more for insurance, turbo or no turbo i don't think that is a justifyable expendature. I have a gl and it is group 13, same as a sport so you shouldn't be paying much more in insurance terms and the sport looks a lot better than the gl because of the turbo bumpers etc. If you go for a later model sport you get 125bhp as opposed to 115 from pre my97/98?. The looks are great, the handling is spot on ( 4x4 and you can exchange for turbo struts, springs etc. it just doesn't have a rear antiroll bar) and you get the subaru reliability for sensible insurance premiums. As for speed well i've had 132mph from my gl which i think is quick enough for anyone and joe pubic wouldn't know a sport from an sti anyway (all they see is 'SUBARU' and that big spoiler ). So imho go for a sport, you won't be dissapointed
Old 05 October 2003, 06:09 PM
v5 man
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

you lot are arguing over nowt probably anyway. Fudger posted on september 22nd and has gone missing since, leaving much debate in his wake. stop wasting time till fudger maybe comes back to give some responses.
Old 05 October 2003, 06:20 PM
gljam
Scooby Regular

oh yeah, duh
Old 05 October 2003, 07:28 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Got a Gl too MY96..

but found out its a bit of a hybrid.... the gl,s have legacy engines... only twin cams... but still plenty fun...

just waiting for wifey to decide she wants it instead of her car and its off to hunt down a wrx...

Mart
Old 05 October 2003, 07:32 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Arguing ffs???

Simply differing opinions, nothing more, nothing less.

Wouldn't do to be all the same now would it?

Over to you Greasy.